Unpopular opinion: Graffiti is not art.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah, in NYC when graffiti was taking off during the 70's-80's most taggers were Hispanic and white. You can't really say graf was a black artform. It's street art but not exclusively or close to being preduminately black. Futura was half black, Dondi was black, Zephyr was white, Tats Cru Hispanic/white, LEE was Puerto Rican, Lady Pink was South American, etc.

Graf is art legal or illegal. A lot of untalented people were just vandals but the legality doesn't determine the artistic merit the quality does. Perfect example:

z.jpg
The coli: where they think all black people must embrace defacing public property in the name of “art” and any dissenting view means you’re a racist.

The lack of logic is fascinating.

:ehh:

Not that it’s your view. But it’s a view shared here in this thread many times now

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I was just talking about this. One thing to talk about is how people that don’t own shyt usually have pervasive graffiti in their neighborhoods. It’s easy to tag and spray up on someone else building or property especially if you feel like you’ll never be on the other side

My unpopular opinion was always that I like the modernization of the MTA cars and the big reds with ugly tagging all over them are gone. As hip hop fans we nostalgize that era but it was a huge eye sore to me

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Too many graffiti artists have gone mainstream for that to be false. Op isn’t that smart I saw him complain about weed smell in the cologne thread… like wtf does that have to do w cologne? There’s a thread of random thoughts for random ass posts like that
If you’re so smart why haven’t you placed me on ignore yet?

You weren’t smart enough to come to that conclusion?

Or do you find this entertaining which, if you could actually read between the lines, you’d see the comedy of this whole thing.

Lol

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
There are are some talented ones, but majority of graffiti are low quality tags, worldwide, regardless of race.

Would you like your brand new house tagged with MS13 and other bullshyt?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was just talking about this. One thing to talk about is how people that don’t own shyt usually have pervasive graffiti in their neighborhoods. It’s easy to tag and spray up on someone else building or property especially if you feel like you’ll never be on the other side

My unpopular opinion was always that I like the modernization of the MTA cars and the big reds with ugly tagging all over them are gone. As hip hop fans we nostalgias that era but it was a huge eye sore to me
:sas2:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Writing on walls has been around since there have been walls. You can still see graffiti in the Coliseum in Rome. It'll always change and evolve depending on the situation and who is doing it, but it ain't going away :yeshrug:
Bet you if someone painted graffiti on the outside door of a coli brehs home, they would see my side of this.

:coffee:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The coli: where they think all black people must embrace defacing public property in the name of “art” and any dissenting view means you’re a racist.

The lack of logic is fascinating.

:ehh:

Not that it’s your view. But it’s a view shared here in this thread many times now

I have old family pictures taken on the subway and I was shocked that the entire train cars were covered in shytty tags. Not the outside but the inside of the car. It looked terrible. That was pure vandalism done by random kids with Pilot markers.

All the kids at school would cop Pilots, come up with a tag, and deface park benches, signs, etc, That was just the energy at the time. You had to participate in all things related to the culture. My graf career was extremely short because I sucked so I felt bad about vandalizing property with my shytty throw ups. If I actually took an art class or worked at it to the point of being good then I think I would have tried my hand at spray paint.

It's rare to see vandalism level work today because like most older elements of hip hop graffiti isn't a part of youth culture. I always loved seeing the true artists around the city and am still into street art. Love seeing murals and legal work.

The talent can't be denied:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Close your eyes, folks.

Picture in your mind your ideal neighborhood.
Maybe it has tree-lined streets.
Maybe a bike lane.
Maybe a tram line taking you to the shopping district.
Maybe you’re in a rural area with a lake nearby.
Maybe there’s an L-train passing through your block.

Ideally, is there graffiti anywhere?
No. There isn’t.

simpsons-homeless-mailbox.gif

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I've trying to learn graffiti art in my spare time. been practicing on a fake brick wall in my basement. (was planning on replacing the wall at some point anyway so i figured might as well have some fun with it in the meantime.)
Makes me laugh, because people in this thread are like, "you'd think different if it was your house." when i'm literally doing it to my house on purpose.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Close your eyes, folks.

Picture in your mind your ideal neighborhood.
Maybe it has tree-lined streets.
Maybe a bike lane.
Maybe a tram line taking you to the shopping district.
Maybe you’re in a rural area with a lake nearby.
Maybe there’s an L-train passing through your block.

Ideally, is there graffiti anywhere?
No. There isn’t.

cant tell if you c00nin it up or being sarcastic

Daps
I've trying to learn graffiti art in my spare time. been practicing on a fake brick wall in my basement. (was planning on replacing the wall at some point anyway so i figured might as well have some fun with it in the meantime.)
Makes me laugh, because people in this thread are like, "you'd think different if it was your house." when i'm literally doing it to my house on purpose.
Exactly. It’s YOUR house. You WANT it to look like that. Some stranger didn’t roll up in the middle of the night, and do it. And it’s inside, so everyone else doesn’t have to see it.