Unpopular opinion: Graffiti is not art.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
🤡 I'm in NYC.

Why would I constrain such a beautiful, wild artform to the walls of my house when I see the best examples every time I leave my house? :mjlol:

Actually, though, we are considering re-doing some concrete in the yard and letting friends and fam tag it. So, aha, gotcha ass again.

Cac.
Gun Hill ain’t beautiful, my dear.
:unimpressed:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think what OP is referring to is stuff like this:

tagged-door.jpg

makes you hit the :beli: face.

Anyone remember the 5 points in Queens?

4007.jpg

5pointz2.jpg

View_of_5_Pointz%2C_January_20%2C_2013.jpg

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Tagging vs graffiti.

Even then the former ranges from basic destruction to outstanding creation so its a skill level thing. I'm surprised anyone has been around all this time from back when and not yet seen a piece that makes em grin at how well it was constructed, expressed and realized. Doesn't have to be a full thing either, some of the fontwork is astounding and it often makes me think what kind of innovations these minds could create if actually harnessed and nourished instead of punished and outcasted.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Depends on the artist to me. shyt tags are not art. Just scribbling your name everywhere seems narcissistic as fukk. When it's dope and there's technique to it with the writing style or mural style it's art. The chaos of it is what makes it unwelcome. Someone throws up a dope mural and then an attention whore shyt tags on top of it ruining it. Not the same shyt.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I think what OP is referring to is stuff like this:

tagged-door.jpg

I like this too. One sees vandalism, I see a collaborative effort of personalities. Look at how varied all the styles are. That crusty SEAN tag is dope. I like the happy stick figure with the arrow shooting out of his chin, the infinte symbol and upside down crown. The double door OROM tags are fresh too. I'll never be the one to judge someone that risks expressing their creative side out to this harsh world.

The chaos of it is what makes it unwelcome.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Daps
It’s a matter of taste, and legality. If it’s tagging, it’s vandalism, even if the “work” is “good”. If you have permission, it can be art, but personally, it’s not my taste, it looks tacky, and yes it brings down the property value. You can’t expect people to want to invest in the neighborhood if they fear their property being vandalized. And this is why you have to ask to buy spray paint, and enter a date of birth. People abused the use of spray paint.