Unpopular opinion: Graffiti is not art.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
It's still art. Vandalism is just your perception of the medium. A paper enthusiast would say artists vandalize paper that could be used for reports if they chose to.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
accidentally ethered himself right here low key

I respect him for standing on his square. Unless a person is offending somebody or factually proven wrong , they have a right to express and double down on their opinion.

Now, personally I disagree with the second part of his take. It went from tags, and grew and expanded to lettering styles, etc to create beautiful pieces. And people have proper canvases to create and display their talent. Not on private property, public transit.....or elephants anymore*.

I believe that it is art, but his view is his view..

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Interestingly enough, the late Bernie Mac has on airbrushed graffiti style pants in that appearance.

f29253e6e9882bd73364f92485753020.jpg

The Mighty Shirt Kings made that style famous.
Precisely why I chose it.
:mjgrin:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's still art. Vandalism is just your perception of the medium. A paper enthusiast would say artists vandalize paper that could be used for reports if they chose to.
This is goofy.

Ok you see the art of it.
That’s subjective.

The vandalism isn’t. That’s objectively true.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You mean detail-orientated art? OP let me take you on a trip down Baltimore. Baltimore has some of the greatest graffiti murals in the fukking country juuu heard!

JAHRU-Dragon-and-Lion-of-Judah-mural-Baltimore.jpeg

Malcolm-X-James-Baldwin-Nina-Simone-mural-Baltimore.jpeg

ZMXRMV2ZRFBTZNGQ4WC4S2HLPA.jpg

655ZZSZ4QNCBDL3OGKIJQXDNXQ.jpg

TEXJN46BLBGK7MCQWK2JZDXIYQ.jpg

TKLQD4N2VJGQLAVP6MQ7OUOGHY.jpg

MGJCOQOU5RHTRF2F5LEZFXWCGU.jpg
These are murals not really graffitti. Murals are dope and really add to cities.

Graffitti is still everywhere in the Bronx even in hard to reach places I be wondering how mfs do some of they tags. :mindblown:

Last edited:

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Nah y'all tripping i agree with op, art aside i hate seeing buildings all painted with random colorful graffiti :scusthov:

If you want to show off your spray painting skills go rent a gallery and leave the rest of the city alone :unimpressed:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Unpopular opinion:

Graffiti is not art.
It’s vandalism.

Every time I’m riding a train or subway in the city, I have to look at this crap on walls and highways and overpasses and it’s sad.

Most times you can’t even make out what things are supposed to be.

It’s ugly and ruins the beauty of the neighborhood.

To be fair: I’m not talking about commissioned works that may honor some famous person. Frankly that’s just a mural and can be done well.

But these stupid tags and bubble letters have got to go.

:coffee:

You’re on a hip hop board disrespecting one of the four elements of hip hop.

:gucci: