Unpopular opinion: Graffiti is not art.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
This is goofy.

Ok you see the art of it.
That’s subjective.

The vandalism isn’t. That’s objectively true.
is it vandalism if the owner appreciates the art and decides to keep it on their building?

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
If you rob someone and they don’t press charges it’s not a loan.
I'm not talking about robbery. is it vandalism if the owner appreciates the art and decides to keep it on their building?

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
DqNoiUvUwAAdWPn.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
There are are some talented ones, but majority of graffiti are low quality tags, worldwide, regardless of race.

Would you like your brand new house tagged with MS13 and other bullshyt?

That's gang graf/tags, not the artistic style (pieces, bubble letters, wildstyle, 3-D, softees etc...) that is associated with HipHop

or the "stylish" handstyle tags by people like StayHigh149

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
That's gang graf/tags, not the artistic style (pieces, bubble letters, wildstyle, 3-D, softees etc...) that is associated with HipHop

or the "stylish" handstyle tags by people like StayHigh149

If I had a house it would be painted like a damn art piece.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Only if the wall art was done by black Americans.

I only specify bc I've noticed the same trend with any other ADOS- derived artforms, foodways, and linguistic practices. Other black people are allowed to have their own dialects, their own artforms, their own foodways, all universally understood as 'proper' manifestations of that culture.

With us, everything becomes "slave food," "plantation talk," and, yes, 'illegal wall- scratches.'

This the type of post that would routinely get some posters bushed but just cause the ugly ass troglodyte that made it was born with a p*ssy (allegedly) she gets a pass.

@K.O.N.Y, @Luke Cage and @Lord-Yosh dapped that inaccurate bullshyt up :dead: :dead: :dead:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Graff got nothing to do with hip hop breh, shyt started on trains in the early 70s and all the og writers listened to black sabbath, led zeppelin and so on. Writers today dont give a fukk about rap and are into minimal/house/techno. Graffiti is its on planet/subculture

That's not true for the Black writers. They are the ones who who made graf a part of HipHop, as they were the ones doing the flyers. In fact, Kool Herc ran with the "Ex-Vandals" Bronx division (Phase2, Riff170, Stayhigh149 etc...) who were comprised of Graf pioneers/foundations/legends

v6dKtjH.jpg

Some of them were even early bboys!

neUudRO.jpg

even Grandmaster Flowers was a Brooklyn tagger/graf legend

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Unpopular opinion:

Graffiti is not art.
It’s vandalism.

Every time I’m riding a train or subway in the city, I have to look at this crap on walls and highways and overpasses and it’s sad.

Most times you can’t even make out what things are supposed to be.

It’s ugly and ruins the beauty of the neighborhood.

To be fair: I’m not talking about commissioned works that may honor some famous person. Frankly that’s just a mural and can be done well.

But these stupid tags and bubble letters have got to go.

:coffee:
This is a Hip Hop website right? Graffiti is one of the 4 pillars...