Uncut Gems | Discussion Thread

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn’t have a problem with the ending. Dude was constantly getting over on people and it was only a matter of time before all his BS came back to haunt him. Would’ve been cheap and unrealistic if he didn’t get got. I understand people like to see a redemptive arc but a cautionary tale is just as if not moreso effective imo

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I didn’t have a problem with the ending. Dude was constantly getting over on people and it was only a matter of time before all his BS came back to haunt him. Would’ve been cheap and unrealistic if he didn’t get got. I understand people like to see a redemptive arc but a cautionary tale is just as if not moreso effective imo

agreed.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
He was pushing a line with dangerous people, and that was what was lost on, I imagine, some of the audience. That's probably part of the brilliance of Sandler's casting, as it's possible to take much of the movie as a joke, and the "goons" as inept as the ones from Home Alone or some movie like that. But, they weren't. Rattner's evasions and lies become a comedy in itself, subtly, and you can miss, the real menace that is looming. That is why the last Celtics game takes on such significance, as he is REALLY pushing the lines, practically begging those guys to try him, but he can't help himself. He truly is lost in a gambling addiction, and can't see that others won't see it as a win.

Also, increasingly, the goons felt emasculated by Arno, who was coming of soft and ineffectual. He wasn't with that level of violence, he was just frustrated, but he saw the bigger picture. Those other guys didn't. There's a few lines where the main guy says "Arno, don't listen to this fukking guy anymore, come on", more than once. Arno, saw bigger picture, that he was family, and he wasn't going to kill him, but also, he could keep bleeding him, he just needed that balance of fear, to maintain credibility as a loanshark.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
My a$$hole took 15 mins to reopen after that :damn:

protagonist doesn’t mean hero. Dude had all those people who cared about him and risked it all for him and he still played games. Chat shyt, get banged, brehs. :manny:

He deserved that ending.

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This movie set my teeth on edge. I was never really comfortable and I love and hate that. I really hated Howard and I love that the movie captured his frenetic energy and precarious lifestyle. It doesn't try to evoke empathy or demonize, it just portrays this messed up guy and how he causes his messes. I really admire storytelling that embraces unlikable characters and realistic outcomes. Sandler was fantastic. The music annoyed me at first but then it became apparent it was purposefully grating and loud just like Howard's life and relationships. I will probably never watch this again because of that though, but it was inspired and well done.

8.5 out 10 for me

On another note, has anyone noticed that A24 favors unhappy and ambiguous endings? It's kinda awesome. Like they're giving the finger to "what tests well with audiences".

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
getting back from seeing this and it was good...3 mics out of 5. Not the movie of the year to me but an extremely watchable joint that I look forward to rewatching down the line.

Watching this, I did get that Wolf of Wall Street (more than Goodfellas) fast pace glamorized feeling. Acting was good for the most part with Sandler being the best and KG surprisingly coming in 2nd to me. I thought Lakeith could've been giving more to do, Julia was okay (ass was spectacular tho :takedat:). As for people not liking the end, it had to end like that :yeshrug:

like others noted on this page already, Howard was making fools out of guys you don't do that too :huhldup::whoa:They already put up with a ton of shyt and would've done the deed long before but they were noting that too many people were around. Howard already showed that he is going to use everyone around him until they want nothing to do with which is no surprise that the only ones who want to be with him are his side chick and his kids & even his daughter is distant to him and 1 of his sons started to finding out about him cheating.

There is no redemption for someone like Howard, and it couldn't have came after winning like that. that's basically cheating.

Lhark

Superstar
Daps
Yeah if you were paying attention it was obvious dude kept testing his luck

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Dragged? This movie? Did I see a different cut than y'all?
Not sure what anyone watched when they say it dragged.

The Sadfe Safdie brothers gift is in the entire movie being rising action with the last scene being the climax. Good Time was very similar.

The tension in this movie just kept rising.

Last edited:

hjnm

All Star
Daps
Chaotic and stressful as hell, damn near gave me anxiety, ending was perfect and everyone was well cast. Not sure if better than Good Time but one of my favorite movies of the year.

Also Julia Fox. *bites fist*

Jefe Blanco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Odd choice to place this movie during Christmas time lol this isn’t a feel good movie, it’s intense and hard to watch at points but it’s also the same reason why I liked it. Pulls no punches from beginning to end with great performances from everyone, I do wish Lakeith’s character was in it more though. Ending was stunning but appropriate given how out of control Howard’s gambling had become. One of the best of 2019 for me and Sandler is deserving of all the praise he has received.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The ending had me :dwillhuh: until the credits rolled.

It was so abrupt you're not prepared for it. Even though he was a prick he's still the main character and following him around for 2 hours gives you a connection to him. You hate to see it especially since it felt like the time to celebrate. Then showing the kids makes you feel bad. Once you recover you're like, "he deserved it.":ehh:

Man had the money to pay Arno back plus an extra 65k and had to bet it all:why:

Edit:

Just to add on, KG being great at playing KG was too meta:wow:

I want every writer in Hollywood putting scripts together for movies that somehow include the characters interacting with KG. Whether it's Bond, rom coms, hiests, or whatever get KG in there. He won't be the main character but he sets off a string of events that lead the protagonists on a journey.

This could be a dope HBO show:wow:

Last edited: