Uncle Drew Playin With The Nephews By The 7/11: Official 2017-18 Boston Celtics Season Thread

How Far Do The Celtics Go This Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
We gotta find a way to keep Smart.

I think Ainge will let Smart test free agency next offseason knowing that he probably won't command anywhere near a max contract and we can match whatever deal he's offered since he'll be a RFA.

Smart is one player I keep going back and forth on but there's no doubt he's got the intangible and makes some big time plays.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
I don't really follow college hoops much, so i need yall help. Who's realistically looking to be available when we're on the clock? I would love to get another big but idk who's out there

Porter is the type of big, versatile forward that Boston has prioritized building around in recent years. It may have had an eye on him since well before the upcoming interview. And that might be all this is. Perhaps the Celtics have admired Porter from afar and just want to a chance to better understand him.

The more data a team has on a player the better. It’s unclear if Boston’s interview will include a look at Porter’s medicals. His back could push him up or down draft boards in a major way.

Even if there is considerable concern for his future health, it isn’t likely that Porter will drop to a place where the Celtics could take a flyer on him. That won’t keep Boston from being prepared to make a decision on him if he does.

Report: Boston Celtics to interview Michael Porter Jr.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Porter is the type of big, versatile forward that Boston has prioritized building around in recent years. It may have had an eye on him since well before the upcoming interview. And that might be all this is. Perhaps the Celtics have admired Porter from afar and just want to a chance to better understand him.

The more data a team has on a player the better. It’s unclear if Boston’s interview will include a look at Porter’s medicals. His back could push him up or down draft boards in a major way.

Even if there is considerable concern for his future health, it isn’t likely that Porter will drop to a place where the Celtics could take a flyer on him. That won’t keep Boston from being prepared to make a decision on him if he does.

Celtics must have been reading my posts :blessed:

It sucks cause Greg Monroe could be a great piece for us. Great low post scorer, nice touch around the rim, grest rebounder

But that defense :scust:

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is interesting. There was rumors that the Bulls really wanted Rozier a few years ago, maybe we make a trade with them. I love Terry and would love to keep him, but you got to look at all the circumstances. He's gonna be a free agent next year. When Irving and Hayward come back Terry's minutes and shot attempts will go down significantly. The other day Tracy Mcgrady was raving about Porter, talking about how Porter reminds him of himself. If we were to offer Rozier, a pick, and maybe have to part with a role player or another pick, maybe we can sucker a team in the lottery. Porter was considered to be the number one pick before his surgery. And if he's not available in the draft we could use the pick on a big guy. I think we are gonna match Smart's contract this offseason unless he gets a dumb offer.

Our lineup could be
C Horford Baynes Theis
PF Tatum Morris Yabu(maybe traded)
SF Hayward Porter Semi(maybe traded)
SG Brown
PG Irving Smart

Our team would be set up to where the young guys don't need to feel the pressure to carry the team. They could just pick their spots. And when our Veterans get old the young guys will take on more of a responsibility, and the old guys will be coming off the bench. Also when those veterans contract's run up, our young guys will be due to get paid.

With all that being said, nothing will probably happen.

e001

Superstar
Daps
More wings? We need either JJJ or Bamba (I'm skeptical about him). Somebody can offer Baynes more than we can pay, leaving us short on bigs. For some no one knows that Baynes is an expiring. I like Theis and wouldn't mind him starting but we can't have Yabusele being part of the rotation in the playoffs.

Last edited:

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
More wings? We need either JJJ or Bamba (I'm skeptical about him). Somebody can offer Baynes more than we can pay leaving us short on bigs. For some no one knows that Baynes is an expiring. I like Theis and wouldn't mind him starting but we can't have Yabusele being part of the rotation in the playoffs.

I'd love to get a big man also. And we're gonna need a young one to replace Al. I have a feeling we could sign Baynes with the mid level. For Baynes it's gonna be wether or not he wants to get paid, or does he want to play for a contender. The way the league is nowadays the rules favor wings and small guys. Look at the Warriors. They got a team of pretty much nothing but wings, a small guy, and a bunch of serviceable big men. I really Like Bamba, Jackson, and Porter. I'd be happy with either one of those guys. If we lose Baynes we're gonna have a hell of a time trying to contain Embiid.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
No surprise here...

When Celtics coach Brad Stevens was asked about Tatum being left off one of the first-team ballots, he said: “Somebody made a mistake.”

Tatum averaged 13.9 points and 5.0 rebounds while shooting 47.5 percent from the field overall and 43.4 percent from beyond the 3-point line this season. His 3-point percentage led all rookies and was the eighth-best in the league.

Tatum, who was the league’s Rookie of the Month in December, becomes the first Boston player to make the first team since Paul Pierce in 1998-99.

Celtics’ Jayson Tatum is named to NBA All-Rookie first team - The Boston Globe

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Big game tonight. The good thing about playing at home is I don't have to hear that fukken Cavs DJ playing music constantly throughout the whole game. Got Damn that shyt is annoying. Cavs fans don't even have the oppurtunity cheer cuz they're constantly drowned out by that noise. It's bad enough I have to hear Mike Breen's NY biased ass. I had to resort to watching the game on mute last time.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
His entire coaching philosophy is built on channeling that mental strength. Mistakes are not failures to be haunted by; they are something to quickly forget and learn from later. The whole point is to create a place where players are free to play with, “freedom and confidence,” as Stevens puts it.

“Free and easy, within our means,”
says second-year forward Jaylen Brown, who understands the teachings of Stevens as well as anyone. “Brad does a good job of knowing what everybody can do and what they’re capable of. He puts the offense in that allows it to thrive.”

This approach fits the upstart Celtics perfectly, who are inexplicably one win from the NBA Finals, despite losing two stars in Irving and Gordon Hayward along with a host of role players. This shouldn’t be happening, not this year anyway, but it is — largely because Stevens has empowered the players he does have to be confident and fearless. They, in turn, trust their coach.

Brad Stevens is a genius — just not in the way you think he is

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Here’s a great way to measure someone during a playoff game: Watch how their opponent reacts every time they have the basketball. Are they pointing? Are they rushing around? Are they doubling? Are they giving up things they’d rather not give up just to handle that situation? With Kyrie gone, Tatum is the only Celtic who generates real panic. Cleveland has been praying, for this entire series, that Tatum doesn’t suddenly realize that (a) no Cavalier can consistently guard him and (b) J.R. Smith 100 percent definitely can’t guard him.

When we talk about the 2018 Celtics not making sense, we’re really saying that you shouldn’t succeed past a certain point without that one special scorer/creator, that one freelancer who can save a bad possession, trade crunch-time punches with the other team’s best player, draw double-teams, and occasionally make those back-breaking shots that spoil 20 to 22 seconds of great defense. And that’s true. Kyrie was that guy for Boston. He’s gone. That’s why this doesn’t make sense.

But Tatum …

He’s eventually going to be that guy. And then some. He’s going to be an MVP candidate and a 30-point scorer someday. Maybe sooner than we think. His ceiling isn’t Paul Pierce 2.0; it’s actually … (gulp) … somewhere between Carmelo Anthony and Durant.

The Savior of the "No-No-Yes" Celtics

TONIGHT is the perfect opportunity for Tatum to announce himself to the league