Uncle Drew Playin With The Nephews By The 7/11: Official 2017-18 Boston Celtics Season Thread

How Far Do The Celtics Go This Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People are ready to let Marcus go and give Terry the keys for the second unit, but we should try and keep both of them in the short term (2-3 years). Marcus is not a good shooter, but when they showed the stat of our team defense being 9 points better when Marcus is playing kind of surprised me. The priority this offseason is to sign Marcus. Of course if a team is stupid and offers him a ridiculous contract, we have to let him walk. Baynes is the one who is expendable.

Next years lineup can be
C Al, Theis
PF Tatum, Morris, Yabu
SF Hayward, Semi
SG Jaylen, Smart
PG Kyrie, Terry

Of course we should draft 1 or even 2 big guys and maybe sign a diamond in the rough big from Europe like Theis to give Al some rest during the regular season. Our team would be undersized against a teams with dominant big guys, but there are not that many of those in the league(Embid, Davis). Baynes ain't doing shyt to stop either of those guys anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Baynes back, but we're not breaking the bank for him. Our team will be able to spread teams out and run on offense. And on defense we'll be able to switch everything and contest shots. I expect Semi to gain more confidence on offense next year and his defense will improve. Jayson will mature and get stronger in the offseason. Maybe we can get Yabu to take HGH to see if he'll grow a couple inches taller.:troll:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
People are ready to let Marcus go and give Terry the keys for the second unit, but we should try and keep both of them in the short term (2-3 years). Marcus is not a good shooter, but when they showed the stat of our team defense being 9 points better when Marcus is playing kind of surprised me. The priority this offseason is to sign Marcus. Of course if a team is stupid and offers him a ridiculous contract, we have to let him walk. Baynes is the one who is expendable.

Next years lineup can be
C Al, Theis
PF Tatum, Morris, Yabu
SF Hayward, Semi
SG Jaylen, Smart
PG Kyrie, Terry

Of course we should draft 1 or even 2 big guys and maybe sign a diamond in the rough big from Europe like Theis to give Al some rest during the regular season. Our team would be undersized against a teams with dominant big guys, but there are not that many of those in the league(Embid, Davis). Baynes ain't doing shyt to stop either of those guys anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Baynes back, but we're not breaking the bank for him. Our team will be able to spread teams out and run on offense. And on defense we'll be able to switch everything and contest shots. I expect Semi to gain more confidence on offense next year and his defense will improve. Jayson will mature and get stronger in the offseason. Maybe we can get Yabu to take HGH to see if he'll grow a couple inches taller.:troll:

IMO our biggest need is to get a Center this offseason

I have no interest in seeing Al Horford play center again, unless for short stints at a small lineup

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IMO our biggest need is to get a Center this offseason

I have no interest in seeing Al Horford play center again, unless for short stints at a small lineup
I feel you, but our salary cap situation prevents us from signing a quality center straight up. I've been dreaming of an elite center since Chief left. The most we can give free agents this off season is the mid level exception (5.3 mil), and the bi-annual exception (3.2 mil). We would have to either trade one of our young guys to get a center on a rookie deal, it would have to be Terry. Or we convince a team to do a sign and trade with Smart and we could get a guy in the 8-12 mil range. If we want to get a center making more than 15 mil we'd have to trade a few guys to match salaries and I'm not giving up Jaylen and Jayson. I doubt we'd trade Kyrie, Hayward, or even Al.
The free agents at center are Brook Lopez, Boogie, Greg Monroe, Jahlil, Baynes, Alex Len, Nerlens, Zaza, and Javale. I'm hoping Baynes will sign for the mid level cuz I don't know if any other of those guys will sign for it. The guys that come to mind that have decent contracts we could trade for are Vucevic, and Cauly Stein. But what would we have to give for those guys? And are they even that good? I don't watch those guys regularly.
Another thing we need to consider is what kind of owners we have. Are our owners willing to go over the luxury tax and pay up? I really hope so.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I feel you, but our salary cap situation prevents us from signing a quality center straight up. I've been dreaming of an elite center since Chief left. The most we can give free agents this off season is the mid level exception (5.3 mil), and the bi-annual exception (3.2 mil). We would have to either trade one of our young guys to get a center on a rookie deal, it would have to be Terry. Or we convince a team to do a sign and trade with Smart and we could get a guy in the 8-12 mil range. If we want to get a center making more than 15 mil we'd have to trade a few guys to match salaries and I'm not giving up Jaylen and Jayson. I doubt we'd trade Kyrie, Hayward, or even Al.
The free agents at center are Brook Lopez, Boogie, Greg Monroe, Jahlil, Baynes, Alex Len, Nerlens, Zaza, and Javale. I'm hoping Baynes will sign for the mid level cuz I don't know if any other of those guys will sign for it. The guys that come to mind that have decent contracts we could trade for are Vucevic, and Cauly Stein. But what would we have to give for those guys? And are they even that good? I don't watch those guys regularly.
Another thing we need to consider is what kind of owners we have. Are our owners willing to go over the luxury tax and pay up? I really hope so.

Yeah you got a point

To be honest, I actually like Greg Monroe on the Celtics. He plays well for the team. Rebounds better than Horford. He's a little slow on defense, but his post scoring and rebounds have been vital for us. Him, Theis, and Baynes aren't too bad. I was wondering if we can get Zizic back, since obviously the Cavs never use him lol

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
They still counting us out. We keep counting those Ws.

Brad Stevens is coaching like he's at Butler again.

You know its weird. Sixers have more stars on the team than the Bucks had, but Celtics are scoring much easier on them

The key is, the perimeter defense on the Sixers is trash, so that allows Celtics to get whatever they want shooting the 3, as well as blow by the weak defenders

Compared to the Bucks stifling perimeter defense with Giannis, Brogdon, and Middleton, this series would seem like a freeway

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sixers have better shooters on paper (minus simmons) than the Bucks, but the Bucks had a way better perimeter defense. I think Tatum was a little surprised by it cuz he got used to going harder and faster against Milwaukee. It's like he couldn't believe how open he was and still rushed shots in the first half. With no Jaylen, we need Terry to be even more aggressive with his offense. I want to see 20 shots from him every game. I love Smarts defense and intangibles, but 12 shot attempts from a bad shooter with a broken thumb makes me cringe. Also Baynes hitting two 3 pointers was lucky as fukk. I don't want to see him shoot that anymore. One thing that bothers me is our guys trying to get foul calls from the refs, not getting the call, and then complaining to the refs while the opponent gets the turnover and goes on a fast break. Complain AFTER the whistle has blown guys. Monroe hasn't been playing but I think we'll need him in games where our offense is struggling. I just hope he is respectable on defense.