UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End [The Await Is Over: King Drake sliding into our hearts]

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Although I highly doubt it will but are y'all gonna be on suicide watch if UC4 turn out to big disappointment? :pachaha:

I was talking a whole lot of shyt when MGSV was about to come out. Had to lean all they back a few weeks after release :dead:
The grammar in the sentence doesn't make sense. :pachaha:

It won't. Of course, there will ALWAYS be that ONE guy who claims the game isn't that good or w/e and will say he's disappointed yadda yadda. It happens with every game. There will always be a extremely vocal minority that say *Insert game* is overrated or disappointing.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Some background before I dive into impressions so that you know my tastes. I am a gameplay first guy, you will find me argue gameplay over story all the time. That said I love a good story, just not at the expense of gameplay. My second favorite series is MGS because even though it has a huge story the gameplay is always top notch.

I am a huge fan of Naughty Dog and this series in particular. I think Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games ever made and I maybe in the minority here but I think it's NDs best game, better than TLOU. I understand why TLOU is so loved but I am more of an action guy, I love action movies, I like the constant action uncharted gives than the more slow pace of TLOU. Why is U2 so special, because the pacing is pretty much perfect. They took the gameplay from the first and added vertical combat, the moving around the battlefield sets it apart from other TPSs. It's one of those near perfect sequels. U3 was more of the same but just felt like a bad copy with worse pacing, still great but it's not U2.

Ok now you know my stance on the series, I played about 4 hours and there was almost no combat yet I didn't care. The storytelling side is just so damn good, this is movie quality stuff. There is no difference between real acting and these virtual characters, every bit of body language and facial nuance is picked up, I am watching actual acting and I am so invested in this story. I already love these characters but this feels more like they are actual humans than some characters in an action movie, it's so compelling. I wouldn't mind watching uncharted 4 the movie it's so good.

That said it's still a game, interactivity is why this medium exists and I found myself engaged at the cool ways they present the story. I felt like I was in a David Cage game with the level of detail these environments have and the way you can explore. It's kind of what U3 was going for in some of those boring moments but this is done right. There is one moment that had me geeking out so much, you guys that played the game will probably know what it is. While it's doing all this the game is teaching you all the mechanics so it serves as a tutorial as well. I think it works so well because it does all this in so many different locations and situations and the story is always moving forward. Can it be boring in multiple play throughs, maybe, but I think if you power through it can be done very fast.

I took my sweet time because my jaw was on the floor at basically everything. This is without question the most beautiful game ever made. The level of detail present is staggering. Photo mode has loads of options and I spent a good hour just taking pictures of random plants, I couldn't help myself.

At some point though the game had to get going and I played through the first major action chapter and holy shyt the action is incredible!! First thing you will notice is that shooting feels great, finally some weight to the bullets, it feels right. The game introduced the new stealth mechanics and it works like most every game with guards that get suspicious and go alert. The area I played wasn't large but it had multiple paths to take, to either hide or shoot. It's so great to have these options as it makes replaying each section a blast, I didn't mind dying.

One time I got seen so all hell broke loose, I jump out a balcony to reposition, guards were following, they are coming from all sides. I am playing on hard and these guys seem relentless. I was jumping into another room, they were jumping right after me. I turned and smashed one guard into a wall, took his gun, jumped out a window shot some guys from outside, jumped back in and went into hiding. Guards lost track of me so I was able to sneak up on some and snap some necks. In one area I got caught and like 5 guards came out so a huge firefight broke out. I died so the next time I didn't get caught and killed the three guards on patrol, no backup, no firefight. So that's the level of changes you can expect to see depending how you play.

In terms of AI they seem smart enough, they flank, take cover, use grenades. I think they lose track of you a bit too easily and they seem to go right back to their normal patrol. This is not MGS level sneaking here; I tried to shoot out some lights and that didn't work. Doesn't matter cause it's mostly about the action and this section ended in a massive scripted shootout. The environment was crumbling around me, I am rolling all over the place trying to get better weapons while avoiding fire. The music is pumping and it is AMAZING, my cover is being torn to shreds, my palms are sweaty, it's everything a great action sequence should be and it wasn't really a big setpiece, it was just a great firefight. If this game keeps this up it’s going to easily be the best game in the series.

This game feels special. It's definitely uncharted, mechanically most of it is the same but the refinement with the better shooting, alert states and larger areas make it feel like a true step forward from Uncharted 2. The story, graphics and presentation are at a whole different level. Man I can't wait to get out of work and play more tomorrow.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
For those that don't want to read the novel fatboi posted above:
First 4 hours are boring beyond belief. He applauses the way they copy metal gear solid but says it isn't as good (you can't even shoot out the lights). Stan's will say "it's supposed to be a stealth game anyway" to cover up how poorly the stealth mechanics are actually implemented. If your a fan of graphics the uncharted will satisfy you, but if graphics were your thing to begin with then you should be gaming on PC and not on a Larry station 4. The story is great and the guns finally feel like guns.
This synopsis was sponsored by the good folks at Geico. 15 minutes could save 15% or more.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yo @Fatboi1 drop some trial vids leak of you can find some

If theres a good live stream link going around someone PM me please
I haven't seen any streams or anything. I'm not tryna look cuz it's easy to get spoiled looking on youtube but if you don't care, just search Uncharted 4 in youtube and sort the results by "last hour" and you should see newly uploaded videos. There may be spoilers so don't say I didn't warn you :ufdup:

Edit: There's one video up but I didn't watch it but it looks like the retail build. The MP menu looks clean and polished, the music seems different and the player was going through the menus. I didn't look as he clicked maps and all the maps was showing. I have to say they improved the menus quite a bit but It feels too much like TLOU.

Last edited:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna be salty as fukk if I have to work next Monday night. These fukk ass co-workers are unreliable as fukk. :mjcry:

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I haven't seen any streams or anything. I'm not tryna look cuz it's easy to get spoiled looking on youtube but if you don't care, just search Uncharted 4 in youtube and sort the results by "last hour" and you should see newly uploaded videos. There may be spoilers so don't say I didn't warn you :ufdup:

Edit: There's one video up but I didn't watch it but it looks like the retail build. The MP menu looks clean and polished, the music seems different and the player was going through the menus. I didn't look as he clicked maps and all the maps was showing. I have to say they improved the menus quite a bit but It feels too much like TLOU.

link :dahell: