Tyla pleads the 5th about coloured Vs Black on the breakfast club. Her PR person jumps in.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1. Canada and USA aren’t that different culturally

2. Drake actually spent time with his father in Memphis :dahell:

1. Seems a little arrogant to say. As an outsider to either Canada or America. I doubt you can truly say you know all the intracacys and nuances of race relations in another country. Not saying Im right,im saying most Americans wouldnt know enough about Canada to make assumptions about Drake.

2.maybe his pawging father didnt teach him what he needed to know about white supremacy,in the short time they were together:comeon:

Tylas from South Africa,if she has no thoughts,and cant hold a base level conversation on white supremacy shes been failed by her school system and needs to be taught by the foremost experts,African Americans:respect:

To say Drake shouldve been more informed than her? No,just no.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Why are people so pressed about this? Not every country defines “black” the same, not sure why the internet is up in arms over her calling herself “colored” if that’s a racial designation in her country. Get off her dikk…one min they want everyone to be black the next they excommunicating mixed blacks, they can’t make up their mind either way so who cares what she is?
This. Americans assuming eveyone in the world operates under their paradigm is peak arrogance.

In South Africa these people are raised with different racial labels than us. Now you can disagree with them but it's dumb as hell to expect other people from other cultures to have the exact same outlook as you.

Other people probably think we are crazy we have people with the skin color of Beyonce and label them black instead of brown or some other label and they probably have a good case. It's about perspective.

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Low IQ Americans ruining racial discourse again.
Places like South Africa and Brazil have different labels such as "coloured person", to refer to people.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Don’t think this is the best way to handle it because avoiding the topic only makes people question it more
Also by avoiding it you basically answer it implicitly while also leaving it open for other people to create narratives about why you avoiding the topic
It’s not that complicated a topic and she can even make an analogy to puerto ricans or something that would make it relatable to an American audience

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Places like South Africa and Brazil have different labels such as "coloured person", to refer to people.
that's why Charlamagne wanted her to clarify it.
Oddly enough, she made a "low IQ" move trying to duck a simple question. It makes it look like she's trying to appear like something she might not be even more, or her label wants her to be presented as something she's not.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I don’t know a damn thing about this girl outside of her hit single, but this was a super weak response to me. It shouldn’t be hard to explain your background and what a term you used to describe yourself means. Explain it to us dumb Americans.

But nope, she’s trying to fit into spaces she probably would have nothing to do with if she wasn’t a famous entertainer. That’s how this comes offf. Look guys, I’m black-ish, enough to play me in your spots and on your stations. Drake gets killed for this by the same crowd defending Tyla, and ironically he’s probably culturally “blacker” than she is

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

When I was in Cape Town Colured was described as the descendants of Malayasians and other shyt, pretty much a buffer between Whites, Asians, them, and then nikkas