Twitter has 49 black employees in workforce of nearly 3,000

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I wonder how many people are using #Tributaree ?

:wtf:take this rep. I didn't even know about this. I can't find a picture of the owner anywhere though, still wanna see something besides words saying they are a young Black person. Don't wanna get fooled.

Its crazy half this stuff I find about on the coli. Do you know of any other Black owned things online? like a full list.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem

Zach Lowe

what up beck
Daps
IMO, this is even more damning because while you can argue about whether there's a pipeline problem with blacks and technical jobs, could you really make that same argument about the non-technical jobs at Twitter?
they don't just hire liberal arts shytheads for non-technical jobs either the typical background is someone good at CS/engineering (high grades, can pass the interview bar for an engineering role) from a top university or at least a top school for CS

there's no two pipelines it's basically the same kid at Princeton deciding if he wants to code all day or not

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tech Companies still lacking Diversity in "Post Racial America" 2015:patrice:

...when, their CEO's are liberal-minded Millennials, themselves:lupe:

But, they already told US 'Pull yourself up by your boots straps':mjpls:

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Tech Companies still lacking Diversity in "Post Racial America" 2015:patrice:

...when, their CEO's are liberal-minded Millennials, themselves:lupe:

But, they already told US 'Pull yourself up by your boots straps':mjpls:

To be fair, a lot of blacks aren't interested in tech. I've been glad to see black folks in tech positions as of late but not that many.

I've been hit up by the top tech companies more than once. I do try my best to help other blacks get in though because there still isn't a strong network for us.

Last edited:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I'm torn on this issue, especially as an engineering student myself.

On one hand, this extreme focus on "diversity" for diversity sake is not something I care to participate in. Yes I'm black and I understand there are barriers in place for black folks. However, on the other hand, I do not want to be a hire who was hired to simply "diversify" a workforce. Its insulting to my intelligence and my skills. I still value my skills and abilities and if I'm not hired for that and my ability to project my competence in the interview, then don't hire me. I've been on interviews for internships for example where some of them I know I bombed and if they had called me back and offered me a job I would be shocked lol. I want to know when I get a job it was because we saw what you can do and want you to contribute to our success otherwise I won't feel too good about it.

So when I see articles that say "there is only x% amount of blacks working in a field so hire more blacks" it annoys me to be honest. I don't care strictly numerically speaking how many blacks are in a company. This is shytty stats reporting. A much more descriptive stat of possible discrimination would be "How many blacks interviewees vs hires are there" and the percent discrepancy between that set of data and other groups using the same measurement. Spatial_Paradox posted much more substantive and interesting stats related to graduates and hiring. However, again, the issue is the reporting is still sketchy when relating this to specific companies (i.e. facebook, twitters,etc) hiring of blacks as it doesn't say how many of these people who are graduating are applying to places like Facebook, twitter, etc. I know a lot of big silicon valley folks for example usually hired from the much more "respected schools". The implication here isn't that blacks are less likely to go to "respected schools" as I'm just criticizing the reporting in that just comparing NATIONAL graduation rates to hiring stats at a company is too broad. I think breaking the data down further by graduates at specifics schools and how many are interviewing at these companies and then doing a race comparison would be a better way to report. Just a small anecdote, I go to a local state school in the south and while I'm not counting myself out as being able to work at Twitter, Facebook, etc, I've also self-selected myself out applying to those places for internships and co-ops...which isn't a good thing but there are probably people like me out there.
The problem with this is that even African-American graduates from elite universities are struggling to get hired at these places. A black ivy league graduate has the same job opportunities as a white kid from a good state school. The other thing, if you force people to diversify a workforce they are going to hire the best of the bunch if they are smart. Why hire someone who cannot do the work? No one with a brain would do that. If you tell me to hire women, I am going to hire the most qualified women. In countries where diversity has been mandated in government positions/businesses, those companies have always been successful.

y que

Banned
Daps
its funny how the numbers in any industry usually pretty much reflect the amount of blacks there are in this country or any particular region percentage wise but people still complain

regardless of facts or numbers the media will print some news bit and fake militants will start crying

the media just turns on your thoughts on or off whenever it feels like it to get ratings/views

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
These companies de facto hiring policy excludes Black people. Period.

I wish there were more black candidates. I see more blacks in IT when it comes to Government. Not so much in the Wild West that is Cloud Computing tho.

y que

Banned
Daps
how long before jesse jackson starts crying about so few black hockey players in the nhl