Twitter has 49 black employees in workforce of nearly 3,000

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Geez Louise it's call Tributaree ! Are you even Black?
There's no need to be mad...lol. I honestly didnt even know about this until this thread.

And there lies the problem. Whenever there is a black owned and operated anything...it just doesnt have the same level of promotion or money put into promotion.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
There are qualified Black men and women in the tech industry with degrees in engineering and computer science.

These companies ARE NOT hiring Black people. They hardly even interview Black people.

They don't care.

Facebook only hired seven black people in latest diversity count
  • Company’s annual diversity report shows majority of staff still white
  • Sixty-eight percent of employees are male – a 1% decrease

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg ponders the meaning of diversity. Photograph: Jose Miguel Gomez/Reuters

Rupert Neate in New York

@RupertNeate
Thursday 25 June 2015 18.36 EDTLast modified on Thursday 25 June 2015 21.39 EDT

Shares
Comments

Save for later

Facebook is still dominated by white men despite Mark Zuckerberg’s repeated promise to get serious about building a workforce that better reflects the diversity of its 1.4 billion global users.

In its diversity report released on Thursday the social network company revealed that more than half of its US staff are white, with the proportion dropping slightly from 57% to 55%. The proportion of Asian employees increased by 2% to 36%, but the shares of hispanic and black people or those of “two or more races” remained flat at 4%, 2% and 3% respectively.
White people dont understand diversity because they interact with other white people the majority of the time....some of them have never even interacted with a person of color in their lives. Cause they live in areas where they dont have to.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Even though I'd like to see more blacks going into CS and engineering programs, that's another topic and we definitely shouldn't be letting these companies off the hook for their lack of diversity either

Check this out for example: Silicon Valley struggles to hack its diversity problem

So even when accounting for the relative dearth of black CS grads, the biggest tech companies are still overlooking them. That's the sort of thing that should be called out. And there's all sorts of possible reasons I can think of for those disparity, such as where these companies focus their recruiting efforts at, or biases in hiring

And then there's this tidbit:

IMO, this is even more damning because while you can argue about whether there's a pipeline problem with blacks and technical jobs, could you really make that same argument about the non-technical jobs at Twitter?
That just tells me they dont want to deal with blacks or hispanics period.

Okay...hypothetical here. If your average white person is scared of blacks, uncomfortable around black people, or just straight up hates them....what makes you think they want to work around them for 8 hours a day?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sad but true.

I realized thjs first hand opening up my first business this year and running my first shop in manhattan.

I didnt let it get to me though. But it did educate me on some harsh truths about being a black man in business.

Never heard that term until I was on here.

Good stuff persisting despite setbacks and realities in life. Sad that some black people won't even go to a black doctor. My grandmother used to be one of those types.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm pretty straightforward when it comes to business. BUT I know at work I present myself as a cut above everyone else. My ex saw that I dressed well and assumed I was an engineer or something based on how I dress. Thing is I am an engineer now :troll:

But yea I tend to keep business and personal life separate. Don't really drink with coworkers. Carry myself in a professional manner, straight to the point with people. My company is actually good for minorities. I think it was in Forbes a few times. Still, most of the minorities represented are Hispanic, Indian, and Asian. Not many blacks in my role but there are blacks represented here.

I do fit the preppy black guy look but I am probably intimidating to some being that I have a shaved head, tall, and athletic. But according to Larry David whites will bend over backwards for you if you wear glasses! :leon:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Never heard that term until I was on here.

Good stuff persisting despite setbacks and realities in life. Sad that some black people won't even go to a black doctor. My grandmother used to be one of those types.
I have all sorts of stories to tell from running my pop-up shop.

From the moment we got the space. It was under this streetwear boutique on clinton st in the lower east side. I personally made every effort to make this basement a space people could enjoy going to. This brand (which i will not name) ofcourse is owned by this white guy..i thought it was owned by this spanish cat...but he was his only employee (they used to have seven).

I would see black people spend their money at this store that let us rent this space and come out with bags of stuff....and then when i would tell them about my pop up shop be like :ehh::obama:okay. And never step foot in the store.

Now it would be one thing if they came through and didnt like my stuff...thats cool. Its not for everyone...but they didnt even want to come down and check out the clothes in the store.

Except for one person...all of the people who bought clothes from the shop have been white.

I made the store presentable because of the fact that it was in the basement of this shop and because i know that most people are unfortunately leery about supporting a black owned business. I made sure that we had all resources available to handle credit and debit transactions. I made sure to have receipts on hand to give to customers after they made their purchase. I was avoiding giving off any unprofessional vibes.

After a while...we were making sales everyday...and the man upstairs who ran the shop we were renting the space from did not like it cause we were stealing his traffic. We were bringing some dope energy to the neighborhood. Has house music blasting, had exclsuive merchandise that couldnt be found anywhere else in NYC, even had fashion week events.

The upstairs business eventually stopped referring people to us.

The last straw? They jacked one of my designs.

They werent very innovative...meanwhile me and my other friend who's brand was awesome and did all of the screen printing himself were getting sought by retailers in the les, soho, tribeca...

Eventually we ended the shop early after they tried to ask us for more money to rent the spot out and changed up the original terms of the agreement which was uncool.

But it made me realize 3 things:

1) most people are followers. They arent willing to take a chance on something others havent co-signed.
2)people see a black man running their own business and they get mad cause they think we should be working for others and not ourselves
3)people legitimately think that asking to be compensated for your services as a black person is somehow scamming them. Which is why i made sure to go the extra mile to make sure that our services were secure and safe (we used squarecash for credit/debit transactions and made a sign instore).

It was a fun experience but i wasnt used to running my own shop at all. I was working 7 days a week and 60 hour work weeks.:whew:what a rush.

FaygoMI

All Star
Daps
if black people make up 10% of the American population

3,000 * 10% = 300 = no good

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I'm torn on this issue, especially as an engineering student myself.

On one hand, this extreme focus on "diversity" for diversity sake is not something I care to participate in. Yes I'm black and I understand there are barriers in place for black folks. However, on the other hand, I do not want to be a hire who was hired to simply "diversify" a workforce. Its insulting to my intelligence and my skills. I still value my skills and abilities and if I'm not hired for that and my ability to project my competence in the interview, then don't hire me. I've been on interviews for internships for example where some of them I know I bombed and if they had called me back and offered me a job I would be shocked lol. I want to know when I get a job it was because we saw what you can do and want you to contribute to our success otherwise I won't feel too good about it.

So when I see articles that say "there is only x% amount of blacks working in a field so hire more blacks" it annoys me to be honest. I don't care strictly numerically speaking how many blacks are in a company. This is shytty stats reporting. A much more descriptive stat of possible discrimination would be "How many blacks interviewees vs hires are there" and the percent discrepancy between that set of data and other groups using the same measurement. Spatial_Paradox posted much more substantive and interesting stats related to graduates and hiring. However, again, the issue is the reporting is still sketchy when relating this to specific companies (i.e. facebook, twitters,etc) hiring of blacks as it doesn't say how many of these people who are graduating are applying to places like Facebook, twitter, etc. I know a lot of big silicon valley folks for example usually hired from the much more "respected schools". The implication here isn't that blacks are less likely to go to "respected schools" as I'm just criticizing the reporting in that just comparing NATIONAL graduation rates to hiring stats at a company is too broad. I think breaking the data down further by graduates at specifics schools and how many are interviewing at these companies and then doing a race comparison would be a better way to report. Just a small anecdote, I go to a local state school in the south and while I'm not counting myself out as being able to work at Twitter, Facebook, etc, I've also self-selected myself out applying to those places for internships and co-ops...which isn't a good thing but there are probably people like me out there.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are qualified Black men and women in the tech industry with degrees in engineering and computer science.

These companies ARE NOT hiring Black people. They hardly even interview Black people.

They don't care.

Facebook only hired seven black people in latest diversity count
  • Company’s annual diversity report shows majority of staff still white
  • Sixty-eight percent of employees are male – a 1% decrease

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg ponders the meaning of diversity. Photograph: Jose Miguel Gomez/Reuters

Rupert Neate in New York

@RupertNeate
Thursday 25 June 2015 18.36 EDTLast modified on Thursday 25 June 2015 21.39 EDT

Shares
Comments

Save for later

Facebook is still dominated by white men despite Mark Zuckerberg’s repeated promise to get serious about building a workforce that better reflects the diversity of its 1.4 billion global users.

In its diversity report released on Thursday the social network company revealed that more than half of its US staff are white, with the proportion dropping slightly from 57% to 55%. The proportion of Asian employees increased by 2% to 36%, but the shares of hispanic and black people or those of “two or more races” remained flat at 4%, 2% and 3% respectively.

Sista that is the thing I have mentioned on here tons of times. These commercial companies refuse to hire black folks. Also most black engineers graduate from HBCUs and they are funnelled to certain companies that do business with those schools.

Defense contractors such as Lockheed Martin are the number 1 hirer for black engineers. Defense is also the number 1 field for black engineers. You can go to NSBE and see the longest lines are for the defense companies. They have to hire us because they can't get contracts without us.

Also these tech companies are more inclined to hire asians and Indians because guess what. Many of their business is done in those countries. So it is a selling point to get access to those markets when your work force is made up of people who look like those specific markets.

Add in that they can hire Indians and asians from those countries and bring them to the states and pay them at lower rates than America blacks.

Anyway my background is engineering and I mentor kids who want to be engineers. I Always tell them defense (and or working for the automotive industry in Michigan because no one wants to go there) is the best hustles for black folks as engineers. You can come out of college and get a job quickly and not only that you get a top secret clearance in defense and you got job to LIFE.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm torn on this issue, especially as an engineering student myself.

On one hand, this extreme focus on "diversity" for diversity sake is not something I care to participate in. Yes I'm black and I understand there are barriers in place for black folks. However, on the other hand, I do not want to be a hire who was hired to simply "diversify" a workforce. Its insulting to my intelligence and my skills. I still value my skills and abilities and if I'm not hired for that and my ability to project my competence in the interview, then don't hire me. I've been on interviews for internships for example where some of them I know I bombed and if they had called me back and offered me a job I would be shocked lol. I want to know when I get a job it was because we saw what you can do and want you to contribute to our success otherwise I won't feel too good about it.

So when I see articles that say "there is only x% amount of blacks working in a field so hire more blacks" it annoys me to be honest. I don't care strictly numerically speaking how many blacks are in a company. This is shytty stats reporting. A much more descriptive stat of possible discrimination would be "How many blacks interviewees vs hires are there" and the percent discrepancy between that set of data and other groups using the same measurement. Spatial_Paradox posted much more substantive and interesting stats related to graduates and hiring. However, again, the issue is the reporting is still sketchy when relating this to specific companies (i.e. facebook, twitters,etc) hiring of blacks as it doesn't say how many of these people who are graduating are applying to places like Facebook, twitter, etc. I know a lot of big silicon valley folks for example usually hired from the much more "respected schools". The implication here isn't that blacks are less likely to go to "respected schools" as I'm just criticizing the reporting in that just comparing NATIONAL graduation rates to hiring stats at a company is too broad. I think breaking the data down further by graduates at specifics schools and how many are interviewing at these companies and then doing a race comparison would be a better way to report. Just a small anecdote, I go to a local state school in the south and while I'm not counting myself out as being able to work at Twitter, Facebook, etc, I've also self-selected myself out applying to those places for internships and co-ops...which isn't a good thing but there are probably people like me out there.

Great points. But I want to let you know as a black professional especially in engineering these jokers gonna always think you were just given a job. You can't be worried about that mess. You take the job and you perform. Most blacks in corporate America have to work twice as hard when compared to their white coworkers because you are held to a higher standard.

You can fukk up and these jokers won't hire another black from your school (if it is small). You can do a poor job and they won't hire another black in your position. So you always and I mean always have to show and prove and basically do your best for blacks coming after you.

Also as far as the bombing interviews we all been there. But at the end of the day these interviews is all about selling yourself and shooting the bull with these folks.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you get laid off in IT and can't easily find another job you're resume must be garbage breh

I'm fine now. There was a lot of economic downturn in Atlanta in 2009-2010. I get hit up on LinkedIn on a daily basis now as I mentioned from top tier companies.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Great points. But I want to let you know as a black professional especially in engineering these jokers gonna always think you were just given a job. You can't be worried about that mess. You take the job and you perform. Most blacks in corporate America have to work twice as hard when compared to their white coworkers because you are held to a higher standard.

You can fukk up and these jokers won't hire another black from your school (if it is small). You can do a poor job and they won't hire another black in your position. So you always and I mean always have to show and prove and basically do your best for blacks coming after you.

Also as far as the bombing interviews we all been there. But at the end of the day these interviews is all about selling yourself and shooting the bull with these folks.
Yep I'm not ignorant of the ever present "work two times as hard for half the recognition" environment for blacks in the workplace and elsewhere. Also if I felt without a doubt I earned my way in the door and someone wants to still say something about it fukk them. I wasn't really talking about other people's expectations but my own personal expectations. It makes me feel a certain way because I want to feel good about all my accomplishments, especially those I work my ass off to get so I don't want to be "given" something for lack of better words for something other than my skillset that I worked my ass off to attain. Otherwise what is the purpose of years of self-improvement and hardwork?

Now if you're going to hire me because I'm a possible great employee and on the side its good for some diversity quota, alright cool. However, don't hire me if you weren't going to hire me if I wasn't black either.