Try the SKI HAT 12 min. CHALLENGE.......

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Depends on where you go. Im going to be all the way honest with your right now, friend.

When you enter a jiujitsu gym you are required to sign a waiver for your life. How many people have i seen die? Zero. What have i seen.

Broken/dislocated fingers/toes
Broken wrists
Broken knees
Terrible sprains
Corneal Abrasions
Spinal injuries
Neck injuries
Broken ribs

Who are these people who get hurt ? New students. This is not some joke art. Many times sparring is done as live as possible and this leads to injuries. In the hands of the untrained the risk for injury rises. 2 new students sparring together is a derailed train. Mostly strength and rage You have to get your mat time in regardless but under surveillance where someone can tell you to chill to avoid injuries and improve your game you will appreciate it.

When you go into these gyms the first hurdle you face is your pride and ego. You will want to win and crush everyone. At the same time you dont know what you're doing, how to land, when to stop, when to tap, etc. Often times this leads friends to injuries from insignificant - career ending.

I say all this to say, recieving instruction and sparring in a controlled environment is safer. If you just walk in a gym off the street they'll probably make you sit out for sparring the first time. Other schools will throw you to the wolves, but to wolves that will give you a workout and keep you safe while telling you what you should and shouldnt be doing.

If you just want to spar you can probably walk into any gym and do a free class and ask the teacher if you can spar. Every gym has time before and after class for sparring so if you join you can get a lot of important mat time to just practice, experiment and spar. You will exert so much energy you will probably sit out fairly quickly especially after you get tapped out a few times combined with fatigue. At least in the beginning. I sparred for over an hour last night. :shaq:

There are people who teach classes outside of the academy structure which is typically No Gi and with them there are usually less care given to the safety of students.

Good luck, Brazillian Jiujitsu will change your life.

Edit.
You can also enter any brazillian jiujitsu tournament if you just want to spar with people. You dont need a license. They are easy to find with google. The boxing instructor told you you need a license to actually get a fight or to take lessons and spar?

to just spar. i asked if i can spar on my first day to see where i'm at skill wise and he said i cant do that without a license. maybe he'll change his mind once he see me do work on the bags and mitts.

props for the advice. i'm not the type to tap but i guess ill just swallow my pride :noah: how long have you been doing bjj for? and are you skilled enough to take on pro fighters?

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
to just spar. i asked if i can spar on my first day to see where i'm at skill wise and he said i cant do that without a license. maybe he'll change his mind once he see me do work on the bags and mitts.

props for the advice. i'm not the type to tap but i guess ill just swallow my pride :noah: how long have you been doing bjj for? and are you skilled enough to take on pro fighters?

I train with individuals who do or used to cage fight on top of various black belts/cops/marines/army rangers/who have never cage fought who are just insane on the ground. The best people of this group i have no chance of defeating in combat. They have put in more time they i can dedicate to it so from them i enjoy the lessons i recieve from the knowledge they've aquired. I can compete with most people who dont have proper ground experience. A UFC level fighter with an advanced BJJ belt? Id just want to grapple them because obviously they would beat me in a fight fight. Its important to round yourself out so even if your strength is striking you can use the ground game as a last resort.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
I fukked around and did this shyt at the end of my workout, after benching and doing flys and shoulder press, and it damn near killed me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There was a white bytch in the gym clocking me toward the end of my workout and she was like :ahh:

Then I started doing that shyt ski posted, looking like a maniac and she was like :merchant: I could tell the broad thought I looked like an insane person.

Only got through 3 rounds in 10.5 minutes and I puked. :what:

Oh, for the record I didn't make it all the way through either. When I say it damn near killed me, I mean that.

:jawalrus:

:salute: for even trying it. It's not easy at all, it seems easy on paper but
:wow:

Don't stop because it gets easier and the results are quick, very quick.

@Walt that white girl about to be your training partner soon....:shaq:

Last edited by a moderator:

killacal

Banned
Daps
:jawalrus:

:salute: for even trying it. It's not easy at all, it seems easy on paper but
:wow:

Don't stop because it gets easier and the results are quick, very quick.

@Walt that white girl about to be your training partner soon....:shaq:

i tried to jump the last 5 reps on each round of squats. I may have gotten like 8 in off the ground but :bryan::bryan: at how hard that is

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
By the third round, my bicycle crunches were probably the saddest attempts of bicycle crunches ever :damn:. Didn't finish either :to:

But one day I will :salute:

And then go try 12 rounds :whoo:

Jesus Is Lord

Daps
Reppin
Christ
I should've posted my pic in this thread instead. Shout out to @krackdagawd for bringing me outta my shell.
photo1ti.jpg

Jesus Is Lord

Daps
Reppin
Christ
By the third round, my bicycle crunches were probably the saddest attempts of bicycle crunches ever :damn:. Didn't finish either :to:

But one day I will :salute:

And then go try 12 rounds :whoo:

:russ: that's ALWAYS the hardest for most people. Keep grinding, form is :king: