USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you're coming repeat oscar nominees, where the first ep and most others were entirely focused on two characters, in a story that caught you up right off top

who's this murdered girl, what happened back then, what's happening now, what happened in between, what's this cult shyt, what's this show about... it pulled you right in

the second season is 55 minutes before you find out THERE IS EVEN A MURDER... you have no idea what you're being shown, why you're being shown this, or what it has to do with the story.. i mean what is the story? we still have no fukking clue... we just guessing on every single aspect besides names

so you can't come in off this ep, and even start to compare.. it's not gonna be the same type of show or pacing or plot... might as well think of this as a completely other title

To me True Detective was amazing because of the character arcs, the plot was whatever and ended up being some run-of-the-mill weirdo slasher thing. Plot-wise season 1 is forgettable as fukk. McCoughnabae and Woody pause put on epic performances and that's what kept me watching. I was more intrigued by the character sthan anything else.

And trust me, I already do and it's looking shaky baby. Too many story arcs, too many people to give a fukk about, and shytty casting. This show will live and die on Colin Farrell's ability to be as McCoughnabae-esque as possible. He gonna have to carry the load pause

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
saw it last night. i thought it was good.

my one drawback is that i feel like vince vaugh was a miscast but he might prove me wrong as the season goes on.

im looking forward to seeing all the character interactions between the main 3 cops though.

in for the ride :salute:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I liked it better than the first episode last season. Vince wasn't as bad as people are saying. I'll give him a chance since this is new territory for him. Colin is doing his best acting in years. Can't wait for next week.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Third of the way through the episode

Me "damn colin farrell's character is a better man than me raising a kid that's clearly not his and saying he genuinely loves him :myman::salute:"

Halfway through the episode

Colin Farrell "you fat puccy"

Me ":dwillhuh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh:"

god=nature=we'reFUCKED

Organize the non obvious
Daps
Reppin
HQ
tumblr_nqebi6f9pL1uyyxc3o1_540.jpg

MARVELOUS MYSTERY PIFFevery sunday:smugfavre:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
i hated that scene at the bar with the singer and Vince and Colins stares..it looked so forced and awkward...felt more like a skit about True Detective.
it really was like a terrible music video when they try to be cinematic....awful.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this. Partsbof this episode seemed like an SNL parody of TD. "I wanted to be an astronaut but astronauts don't even go to space anymore":dwillhuh:. And that moaning chick in the bar, I was laughing through that scene. I'm really surprised this episode didn't get panned.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Just started watching.. as soon as Vince Vaughn appeared on screen i started laughing cause im expecting him to go into mumbling rant like what hes famous for, :heh:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
You know it's fukked up when the sanest cat there was just going 100MPH on a motorcycle with the lights off

We didn't know all of that after the 1st episode though.
We started off with a ritual murder and twocop being interviewed because the killer popped up again after being put down.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Dude about to beat this kid up over LeBrons :deadrose:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:gladbron::gladbron:

butt fukk your father...moms headless corpse:damn:

I'll comeback and butt fukk your father with your mom's headless corpe on this god damn lawn :laff: :laff: :dead:

Butt fukk your father with your moms headless corpse on this lawn

No chill

Holy fukk!!! True detective back brehs :wow:

:laff: :blessed: :ahh: True Detective back.. thank you again HBO gods

Rachel Mcadams character look like a closeted freak, she's giving off vibes in this show :shaq:

Last edited:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This definetely had its corny moments/dialogue, and the acting's a clear step down from S1 (I like Kitsch and McAdams so far though), but I still thought it was a good first episode. I'm really liking the visual style and soundtrack, they've made LA feel eery.

:mjlol: at "12 years old my ass, fukk YOU!"

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first episode is honestly kind of a mess, and I predict will set the bar for the rest of the season.....Somehow, it's exactly the way I thought it would be, washed out and grim, very cliche and worn plot wise, and the strain of Pizzaloto writing this mostly on his own really shows.....Colin Farrell and Rachel Mcadams offer the most compelling performances, though I have seen this from Farrell before, his Ray Vescoro is just Sonny Crockett from 'Miami Vice' (2006) and the out of control cop from 'Pride & Glory' (2008), complete with ski masks and hilariously profane and expertly delivered threats.....Mcadams is in new territory, and it suits her.

The dialouge all around ranges from thin, to flat out bad....Farrell gets the most mileage out of his. Vaughn falls almost completley flat, though there is only so much even a great actor can do with lines like 'This will not stand....fukk that'. And the rest of the clunkers that kill any hint of menace we may have been able to gain from his character, who is cliched to the point of nausea. A gangster turning straight. What kind of gangster exactly? The show isn't sure. Russian? Italian? I don't know. And it doesn't really matter.

I loved the score, and the brooding intro and outro are probably too overbearing, I liked them regardless. The direction is competent, but mostly uninspired...lots of overhead shots don't substitute for artistic vision. I liked David Morse, Taylor Kitsch less so....his character arc and story is another broad cliche, the damaged veteran coping with sexuality, PTSD, and substance abuse. Oh, and fast motorcycles. This is near parody levels of cliche. The whiskey soaked bars, the ominous lines of advice tossed off by Vaughn, Farrell hitting a few lines with his greasy bar food, and glowering at whomever attempts to take his whiskey.

It's messy and uninspired, dull and listless, grim and bleak......and nowhere near the first season, which is fine, we don't judge it that way. On it's own, it's a well produced, badly written, well acted mess of a cop show, with enough going for it I will keep watching, but I don't feel compelled or excited.

* That VOX list was over the top, I'd say there were 15 or so that were noteworthy, the rest is padding.

Thats what I thought watching it. Her character immediately drew me in and kept me intrigued.