Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The action was there in the shoot out, but it didn't have any of the drama of last season's episode 4. I never thought for a second any of the main characters were gonna get hit. The tension when Cohle was in that house :banderas:

:snoop: Were you really watching episode 4 of season one thinking he's actually gonna die, considering half the fukking time in that season we flashed between young and old Cohle. Wtf kind of comment is this?

ThePsydeFX

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Cool scene. Don't remember the last time I've seen an operation go as bad as that on my tv.

Bill from The Last of Us getting his :mindblown: had me:mindblown:. Innocents getting massacred in the crossfire by cops even. Cops getting dropped left and right.

Looks like we're getting a time jump. Hopefully the 2nd half keeps up the momentum the end of the episode gave it.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Well, the shootout was cool

VSELQ.gif

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah... This season pales in comparison to season 1. Too forced.

I will finish the season but I've given it enough episodes to now make my judgment.

:yeshrug:

You know what though, it's cool in its own way. The narrative is still pretty solid. I was hating the first night, but it's pretty good. McCougnabae set the fukk bar so goddamn high in season one tho :wow:

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've waited to say what I think of the show because I went back and watched every show again up until now. Here are my thoughts.

The writing has taken a step back from season 1. I think the Nick was going for a real stylized noir setup. It's not as bad as Deadwood or John from Cincinatti but there is clearly a pattern. But the lines are a little stilted and off putting, I was willing to let it slide as just a part of the show gaining its footing but I think it will be like this the rest of the season.

As to the acting. Obvious Colin Farrell has been terrific, he plays Ray Velcoro with a great bitterness and a greater pain underneath it. He took what could have been a cliché and elevated and yet he still manages to have an acidic sense of humor while doing it all. He's the MVP of the season as far as I'm concerned. Rachel McAdams would be my #2, I kinda questioned her acting chops especially since she hasn't done a lot high profile dramas but she has done a great job as Antigone, she has more 'balls' than most of her male counterparts and is incredibly cynical but she's been great. Taylor Kitsch has done well also in my opinion, he has had moments of brilliance but he has been saddled by the bad writing, the directors have kinda forced the gay angle and now he has to roll with it without the mystery or subtlety of earlier episodes. Now I know everyone is hating on Vince Vaughn as Frank but I think he kind of broke out this past episode, he has to deal with the worst writing and directing and I think he has done better than expected, especially when you can kind of feel the desperate situation he is in.

I think it's difficult to expect the same level of performances as last year, Mathew McCaughnohey has been on a roll for at least 3 years, and Woody Harrelson has been criminally underrated his entire career, and season focused essentially on 2 character. This season you split the focus and have to develop 4 characters. Not an easy task. More with actors that have somewhat maligned their whole careers.

I kinda feel this coming episode will set the tone for the remainder of the series.

I think the main thing with Vaughn is his character is always saying some ridiculously philosophical shyt. McCoungabae could pull it off flawlessly because he's a brilliant actor, but to force those lines on Vaughn's character is just :heh:

"I don't like lizards....the scales, their color—they flicker off death with every slither... or am I thinking of a snake? Who the fukk knows anymore. " :dahell:

"Your eyes.... they speak to me... like some forgotten devil sitting on a windmill." :dahell: