Triple 9 (2016)

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
If you want to see what poor direction and editing can do to good actors and a decent script, Triple9 is what's up.

Movie is all over the place and such a mess after the first sequence. Even though the film us one cliche after another, it didn't have to feel like a rushed season finale. Its just a weak and movie. Yeah, mafia, bangers, dirty cops, cool - its still just plain messy and full of scenes that are either laughable (anything featuring the czarina) or nonsense (detective walking past the killwhitey corner preacher).

Question people who rep this movie hard. For real.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
There is a lot to really like about this movie....I liked it was set in Atlanta, a fascinating city, esp. in terms of crime, I liked it was interracial, and rarely mentioned, I liked the casting, I liked the characters, I liked the attention to detail, (even if some is VERY inaccurate) the grimy bits and pieces of the hood, and underworld, I have never sen Mackie better, Casey Affleck more self assured, Harrelson is coasting, but he works well enough......The score by Atticus Ross is fantastic, and belongs in a more full realized movie.....The writing is just a mess, the circumstances are often absurd, many scenes aren't needed, and many that were needed, don't exist. La Eme, or the Mexican Mafia operating in Atlanta as a street gang is a complete fabrication, as far as I know. Beheadings and all that is more of the same. Why do directors feel the need to throw that line? The Russian Mafia, in ATL, which is a real thing, as evidenced by the Eldorado Redd trial, is more then a bit over the top, more often then not, I thought Winslet did a decent job, with an overbearing script. The 'score' driving the movie is absurd and ludicrous, a heist at an HSI facility....total nonsense, but the movie sells it well. The bad guy is so telegraphed and slimy, you anticipate his every move. Often, it's script misuses it's characters in cliched writing, that let me down, more and more, in the movies conclusion. Excellent tension development is wasted, again and again, in contrivances and bad script choices. A trimmed down cast, with fully fleshed out characters, and a tighter story line would have been excellent. As it is, it a watchable, if strictly one time, thriller.

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
Decent movie for a casual watcher like myself. I enjoyed watching the story unfold and I thought the action sequences were brilliant.

But without trying to spoil, the ending was not satisfying at all and was definitely very rushed.

As a casual, I would say 6.5/10 (Would have been a 7 with a better ending)

Also, how did Aaron Paul's character shoot Anthony Mackie's when his gun was clearly taken by Casey Affleck's character? Maybe I missed something but that seemed like very poor writing

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:dead: I'm listening to the FiyaStarter podcast from a couple weeks ago & they saying Michael K.Williams plays a transgender in the movie.

:mjlol: I don't have to watch to movie to know that's going to be such a cyse.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
There is a lot to really like about this movie....I liked it was set in Atlanta, a fascinating city, esp. in terms of crime, I liked it was interracial, and rarely mentioned, I liked the casting, I liked the characters, I liked the attention to detail, (even if some is VERY inaccurate) the grimy bits and pieces of the hood, and underworld, I have never sen Mackie better, Casey Affleck more self assured, Harrelson is coasting, but he works well enough......The score by Atticus Ross is fantastic, and belongs in a more full realized movie.....The writing is just a mess, the circumstances are often absurd, many scenes aren't needed, and many that were needed, don't exist. La Eme, or the Mexican Mafia operating in Atlanta as a street gang is a complete fabrication, as far as I know. Beheadings and all that is more of the same. Why do directors feel the need to throw that line? The Russian Mafia, in ATL, which is a real thing, as evidenced by the Eldorado Redd trial, is more then a bit over the top, more often then not, I thought Winslet did a decent job, with an overbearing script. The 'score' driving the movie is absurd and ludicrous, a heist at an HSI facility....total nonsense, but the movie sells it well. The bad guy is so telegraphed and slimy, you anticipate his every move. Often, it's script misuses it's characters in cliched writing, that let me down, more and more, in the movies conclusion. Excellent tension development is wasted, again and again, in contrivances and bad script choices. A trimmed down cast, with fully fleshed out characters, and a tighter story line would have been excellent. As it is, it a watchable, if strictly one time, thriller.
Damn
Good looks
I was gonna see this later with my homeboy
But na
Ill wait for that torrent to pop up

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Caught it today and I can tell what Hillcoat was going for (kind of a modern atmospheric western) but the writing was not up to par to carry this shyt. There are a ton of, if not only morally ambiguous characters which I normally enjoy but the movie never gives you any reason to care about any of them. All their problems and issues feel superfluous the way they're constantly brushed over (one of their crew gets killed way out of line but the others barely seem to feel screwed over) so in the end literally every pay-off feels like whatever, and the movie is only held together by the action scenes and occasionally well-crafted suspense.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
It was aaaaaaight
Like i said in the Whats the last thing you peeped thread

Some run of the mill crime shyt you can watch when you aint got shyt to do
Or you got your homeboys over and shyt
I swear though, I can never buy that street smart whiteboy cop shyt (can anyone?)
Maybe cause im from the hood or whatever but that shyt always kills me :russ: