Treasury to announce that Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

:-)

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:blessed:

I wonder if they would even consider using Malcolm X or even President Obama (on the $100 bill that would be awesome!) on future currency as well. I'd love to see that!!!! <3

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
So much negativity on here got me like :dahell:. The symbolysm is cool thats it. No need to lose your mind thinking up 1000 reasons why this move is negative. Some people in here gotta make a mountain outta everything :heh:

I think it's just the fact that many black people think that by having Harriet Tubman on a bill means some kind of victory.

It's really not, it's merely tossing black peoples a few crumbs, while making a back handed joke/compliment at us :comeon:

We still out here being treated like second class citizens. So in reality , what does this bill really mean? :beli:

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I hear you, but my view is IMAGINE your reaction if they ANNOUNCED: Hey America, we arE putting a new face on the $20.

Then announed, it was ANOTHER white man. oR aSIAN, lATINO, OR EVEN tRANSGENDER PERSON??? :sas1:

With that in mind, I take it as a small victory. if you cannot admit even that, you are basically saying NOTHING will make you happy.

:mjlol: At the idea of a Latino historical cultural icon in the United States

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I think it's just the fact that many black people think that by having Harriet Tubman on a bill means some kind of victory.

It's really not, it's merely tossing black peoples a few crumbs, while making a back handed joke/compliment at us :comeon:

We still out here being treated like second class citizens. So in reality , what does this bill really mean? :beli:
It means absolutely nothing.

Black people will still be unemployed in massive numbers
Will still control less than 2% of this populations wealth
Will still account for less than 5% of business owners
Still will get arrested and charged with crimes they either didnt commit or for stuff that whites would get a slap on the wrist for.
Will still be in poverty.
Will still be getting killed by cops
Will still be racially profiled, harassed, abused....

I wish I could be as easily satisfied as some of you...
Im too good for that shyt.
:scust:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Was Harriet Tubman their only choice? Was anyone else considered in replacing AJ?

A group that was making a movement to put a woman on the $20 last year had Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, and Wilma Mankiller as the other three finalists. I don't know how much pull the group had, but they got 600,000 votes in their poll and Harriet Tubman came out on top, and here she is on the bill now, so it seems like someone at least may have been paying attention to them.

Really, if you're going to pick a woman from US history, who else you going to choose? She's as accomplished as anyone, and a lot of the 20th-century feminists are too fresh and controversial for half the country.