Treasury to announce that Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
Anything cacs do especially the one's in power it's always backhanded. The shyt always has a hidden motive behind it. These motherfukkers never come straight forward. I can't put my finger on it yet but this shyt got some conniving aura to it :patrice:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
1. Just because racist are pissed off, doesn't mean I should be celebrating the news. This completely ignores context.
2. If the treasury gave those reasons, it would be applauded, because people would be like, "Damn they actually want to honor her the right way." How would you answer the treasury's comments if they said they wouldn't put her on money because of those reasons?

This is not backlash because you put a black person on currency. You could've put Madam CJ Walker and it would've been met with applause. Your memorial to a freed slave, is going to be a picture - on an item used to buy and sell things - taken of her while freeing slaves, from being bought and sold like things. It's crazy.

If the treasury gave those reasons, I would be suspicious that they had another motive. But I know the VAST majority of people would be saying, "Look, they found another excuse to keep a Black person off their money."

And it's not like they came up with this on their own. The group that's been campaigning last year to have a woman on the $20 ended up with Harriet Tubman leading their vote (Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, and Wilma Mankiller were the other finalists). Everyone knows who Harriett Tubman is. Only the most aware people have any clue who Madam CJ Walker is, and you're not going to get away with replacing a US President with someone who nobody knows about. It sucks that it's this way, but if it had to be a woman, than the only Black woman that had a legit chance of getting picked were Tubman and Parks, maybe Sojourner Truth. And of those, Tubman is probably the best look.

You wouldn't name an USS carrier after a pacifist.

That's a wack analogy. Being a pacifist means you are anti-war. Being an abolitionist doesn't mean you're anti-money. :mjlol:

The way this conversation is going, we're about to throw out reparations too.

"Our heroes wouldn't want us taking none of that dirty money that was made off of their oppression - keep it for yourselves!" :heh:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
And if we hadn't had those two things, they'd be having epiphanies saying, "Wow, we really need to get those poor people some reparations!" :usure:

Ignorant, racist, bigoted people who don't want racial equality after Harriett Tubman appears on the $20 are the same people who didn't want racial equality before Harriett Tubman was on the $20. Anyone appeased by this didn't give a shyt before anyway. If you're afraid that this is a new "argument" they'll use against you, they step up your arguing game. As far as real change, it doesn't do shyt. But I'm certainly not going to complain about getting a racist slaveowner off our money and replacing him with a heroic Black woman.

Learning about how government works by watching espionage movies. :dead:

Now it's not just the New York judicial system and the Treasury Department that are colluding on this conspiracy, but the FBI and the CIA too. :deadrose:

They "pray for and prey on" me because I...um....do what? Continue to argue for justice against Liang while also being glad that Harriett Tubman is on the $20? Don't give up the struggle just because they tossed out a bone? That's the reaction they're praying for?

And if you want a better roll-out, you seem not to have been following the story at all. Harriett Tubman has been being promoted as the choice to replace Jackson since last year. The fact that Andrew Jackson was getting replaced with a woman was already announced last week. And this is NOT the official announcement of the news, that hasn't happened yet - it's just a leak from sources who know that the Treasury Department is ready to announce their decision.
Check me out since neither of us met real life spies and you're right, one can do both but I said, paraphrasing, don't lose focus and not let this deter us. More importantly, this is not important or a milestone for black people in actuality. Will black people be able to get 20 $20 for the fukk of it? It's to appease us, not to do right thing out the goodness of their hearts.