Treasury to announce that Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Hopefully this will be on the back of the bill

13076521_1144524185581831_8453123396054777409_n.jpg

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's way past due, imo. Andrew Jackson was a piece of shyt.

Seriously, that part of it might be the best. The fact that someone who did as many despicable things as Andrew Jackson was still being honored on our cash was a national sin.

Don't like it :patrice:

Of all the formidable black leaders you choose Tubman?

They wanted a woman because there aren't women on the front of any bills yet. If you're going to pick a woman....she's a damn good one.

Not that I agree or disagree because it is unknowable, but the argument is that Harriet Tubman would've been anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist and for the abolishment of the US empire, including its currency.

Yeah, that had me feeling a little suspect about it. She did work as a spy for the Union during the war, so you can't say she was completely anti-government or anything though.

I'm not okay with it. It will piss me off every time. I hate being reminded of slavery. :mjcry:

I'd rather be reminded by looking at a slave-freer than by looking at a slave-owner.

No idea how this got approved. Nobody else sees the irony in putting a freed slave on an item used for the buying and selling of goods?

Yeah, people can see that slight irony, but come on now. Look how insanely pissed off the racists are. This ain't never going to be a win for them.

And when you realize how bad the counterargument is, you get why it's okay. Can you imagine if the Treasury Department said, "We wanted to put Harriett Tubman on the $20, but we didn't want to put former slaves on our money" or "We wanted to put her on the $20 but we thought people might make racist jokes, so we decided to stick with only White faces for now."

Side note, no offense, I don't like calling her a "freed slave". That makes it sound like something that happened to her. She was a Black woman who straight threw off the chains of slavery.

To you and others, notice how coincidently this news is released right after that injustice yesterday? Trying divert our attention from that injustice to give us something to cheer about. Her face being on a fukking $20 is useless right now.

There's a war going on right now, no black man's safe from.

Come on now, you folks are fukking crazy. You think there's a national conspiracy involving multiple branches of the government to change the nation's currency so that they can manipulate the news cycle because they think Black people are so short-sighted and forgetful that learning about Harriet Tubman on the $20 is gonna make them somehow totally forget about Liang's sentence. Right.

Ya'all conspiracy theorists will put the absolute biggest importance on the dumbest shyt. This news will have NO impact whatsoever on what happens to Liang or the backlash about it. It's like that reporter they claim was fake killed on national TV....but really killed/disappeared off-screen somewhere....so that the government could...um....do what again?

If the government is really putting this much energy into plots this dumb, then we have nothing to fear from them, because they'd have to be the stupidest plotters imaginable.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Some of you do this weird thing where you conflate issues re: reparations, colonialism, Harriet Tubman's face on currency. Representation isn't "pointless" and its valid for AAs to feel joy about it. Last I checked, you can be for reparations and for this while against US hegemony. Some of you need to stop thinking your view (or whomever you are regurgitating) is only correct and instead work on your critical thinking skills.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
I don't like this shyt. the same $20 bill that during her day could be probably used to purchase her as a slave and today will be used to buy drugs that are pumped into our neighborhoods.
:usure:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, that had me feeling a little suspect about it. She did work as a spy for the Union during the war, so you can't say she was completely anti-government or anything though.

Yeah, abolitionist and Black union soldiers were capitalist, too, which is why I think assuming what she would have thought is BS and a product of mapping current society onto the past.