"Toronto slang is ignorant"-Drake

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Last line is big cap, don't really agree with the rest either.

UK Rappers have even been using Somali (Not arabic words) in their raps past few years.

Dunno how old you are but they're comfortably the most influential behind Caribbean people in my age group. I ain't even like defending them nikkas cause they act weird as hell towards us moretime but still:manny:

Stop chatting shyt - name the rappers & Somali slangs.

I’m old enough to know when a lot of the younger 28 & OC in Brixton converted to Islam & started Muslim Boys. They’re the first to start using the words (which are Arabic) you lot term as ‘Somali slangs’ in rap. And that also coincided with how a lot of roadman started converting to Islam in prison. Their influence is why most of the roadman from Brixton are Muslims.

I don’t even have a problem with Malis. But it has nothing to do with them.

A lot of you just love trying to draw parallels between Toronto & London. Both aren’t the same & they’re unique in their own ways. The demographic isn’t the same as well. Even a lot of our Jamaican slangs are used differently. London also has a big cockney influence. London is London & Toronto is Toronto.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
What's the issue here, isn't he just an entertainer like Keanu Reeves?

It's pretty telling that the person in the OP tweeted a video of Aubrey Graham and is framing his character "Drake" as a rebrand, init?

Yo.

Dont disrespect John Wick/the Prime Program like that.

Drake is rap Miley Cyrus.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ojTDHgN.png

I don’t care what anyone says no explanation will be good enough for this picture.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They used to force people to convert to Islam in Brixton back in day. The stuff just grew in prison & all these roadman started converting to Islam in prison.

It’s the reason for rise in Arabic words in the lingo

The imagery is killing me :laff:

SWING THAT SANTANA :birdman: now praise Allah :mjgrin:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
The imagery is killing me :laff:

SWING THAT SANTANA :birdman: now praise Allah :mjgrin:
:russ:

It’s basically just like how you have a lot of black Muslims in Philly. I’m sure there will be some Arabic influence in Philly twang. But imagine people trying to appropriate it to Somalis due to having some Somalis living there.

Brixton has always been like that & they had NOI at one point. But that didn’t grow cos Minister Farrakhan & NOI folks were barred from the UK. Then some Arabs must’ve swayed these guys with material things in trying to convince them that only Islam can save black people (that’s what a lot of them used to say & they used to be everywhere preaching to people & giving out small qurans back in the day, lol). Then they took it to prisons.

Funnily enough, the ‘Swing that Satana’ guys are from the same area. But a lot of them were part of PDC (another gang) before they broke off & started their gimmicky O’Trey Blood Gang. :russ:

Interestingly, the name of their leader is also Tanna.

• Wow
Reactions: ISO

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Stop chatting shyt - name the rappers & Somali slangs.

I’m old enough to know when a lot of the younger 28 & OC in Brixton converted to Islam & started Muslim Boys. They’re the first to start using the words (which are Arabic) you lot term as ‘Somali slangs’ in rap. And that also coincided with how a lot of roadman started converting to Islam in prison. Their influence is why most of the roadman from Brixton are Muslims.

I don’t even have a problem with Malis. But it has nothing to do with them.

A lot of you just love trying to draw parallels between Toronto & London. Both aren’t the same & they’re unique in their own ways. The demographic isn’t the same as well. Even a lot of our Jamaican slangs are used differently. London also has a big cockney influence. London is London & Toronto is Toronto.
Ain't using my evening to defend these man past this post cah we both know how they move but...

You just don't want to give them man their credit for whatever reason. They have more clout than they did back in the day. Bit like when some older Caribbean man try take the piss out of West Affs, that shyt don't really fly the same in my gen and below:manny:

We all know a couple brikky gangs didnt make Wallahi and other arabic words popular across London/ UK . There's sizable Mali communities all over England and you want to give one gang in south credit. They're easily the baitest and most influential Muslim/ East African group.

Here's one example:

I'd agree pagan 100% didn't come from them and I'm not gonna give them 100% credit for bait words in Islam like Masallah cause there's all types of Muslims in London.
Even weirder is the young lot using Jareer as slang but that,s another convo for another day :mjpls:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Ain't using my evening to defend these man past this post cah we both know how they move but...

You just don't want to give them man their credit for whatever reason. They have more clout than they did back in the day. Bit like when some older Caribbean man try take the piss out of West Affs, that shyt don't really fly the same in my gen and below:manny:

We all know a couple brikky gangs didnt make Wallahi and other arabic words popular across London/ UK . There's sizable Mali communities all over England and you want to give one gang in south credit. They're easily the baitest and most influential Muslim/ East African group.

Here's one example:

I'd agree pagan 100% didn't come from them and I'm not gonna give them 100% credit for bait words in Islam like Masallah cause there's all types of Muslims in London.
Even weirder is the young lot using Jareer as slang but that,s another convo for another day :mjpls:

I give people credit where it’s due but when you start saying British slangs have Somali influence like Toronto - I have to push back cos it’s fallacy.

Brixton started putting all those Arabic words in rap. The SMS lot (Muslim Boys) - Stinx, Ill Mill & the rest of the gang from like 05/06 with ‘akh’, ‘mashallah’, etc. & they were the ones converting all these roadman to Islam in prison.

We’ve been saying pagan/paigon from way before Malis even tried to integrate - that’s from Rasta/yardie.

And nobody says ‘Jareer’ in everyday slang unless they’re telling Malis about the slurs they use for black people.

You can’t even say everyday UK slang that’s Somali but you’re out here making wild claims. I can even list naij/Ghana slangs that people use everyday as part of London slangs but I won’t claim they are that influential. Man, stop it.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I give people credit where it’s due but when you start saying British slangs have Somali influence like Toronto - I have to push back cos it’s fallacy.

Brixton started putting all those Arabic words in rap. The SMS lot (Muslim Boys) - Stinx, Ill Mill & the rest of the gang from like 05/06 with ‘akh’, ‘mashallah’, etc. & they were the ones converting all these roadman to Islam in prison.

We’ve been saying pagan/paigon from way before Malis even tried to integrate - that’s from Rasta/yardie.

And nobody says ‘Jareer’ in everyday slang unless they’re telling Malis about the slurs they use for black people.

You can’t even say everyday UK slang that’s Somali but you’re out here making wild claims. I can even list naij/Ghana slangs that people use everyday as part of London slangs but I won’t claim they are that influential. Man, stop it.

Bro its cool, you deffo dont observe what youngers are on cause they deffo use it, highkey disgraceful but they do :manny:

You said no one used it in rap, already provided proof for that one.

I already said they didnt make pagan, that one has zero influence from them.

Im gonna assume you're from South if you think OC and em started that whole influence instead of actual muslim communities. No one does wrong and strong like you man :dead:

Lastly lemme know the naij/Ghanaian ones cah I can barely think of influence on slang

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Bro its cool, you deffo dont observe what youngers are on cause they deffo use it, highkey disgraceful but they do :manny:

You said no one used it in rap, already provided proof for that one.

I already said they didnt make pagan, that one has zero influence from them.

Im gonna assume you're from South if you think OC and em started that whole influence instead of actual muslim communities. No one does wrong and strong like you man :dead:

Lastly lemme know the naij/Ghanaian ones cah I can barely think of influence on slang

You’re probably from east (around Leyton/Leytonstone/Tower Hamlet) or west. The youngers from those areas might be influenced. But that has no bearing on the rest of London.

I’m from the real South - the 3 headed monster (Lambeth, Southwark & Lewisham) & there’s zero Somali influence in our twang, even with the youngers. There’s also barely any Somalis here apart from Old Kent rd by Tesco. People might say ‘akh’ & ‘mashallah’ & that’s cos most of these roadman are now Muslims.

Also, go watch all old SMS videos & interviews from the 2000s (even DVS from PDC cos he also converted to Islam) & you will see them using these words. And there’s barely any Somalis in Brixton or Lambeth in general.

Go on UK Twitter & you’ll see everyone using words like like ‘chale’, ‘sha’, ‘ashawo’, ‘pele’, etc., - those are naij/Ghana words. There are even some proper London slangs (old skool slangs & popular ones) that someone broke down for me that had origins in naij/Ghana (I need to check again). But I won’t claim both are that influential. It’s still Caribbean & Cockney for the most part.

Last edited:

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
You’re probably from east (around Leyton/Leytonstone/Tower Hamlet) or west. The youngers from those areas might be influenced. But that has no bearing on the rest of London.

I’m from the real South - the 3 headed monster (Lambeth, Southwark & Lewisham) & there’s zero Somali influence in our twang, even with the youngers. There’s also barely any Somalis here apart from Old Kent rd by ASDA. People might say ‘akh’ & ‘mashallah’ & that’s cos most of these roadman are now Muslims.

Also, go watch all old SMS videos & interviews from the 2000s (even DVS from PDC cos he also converted to Islam) & you will see them using these words. And there’s barely any Somalis in Brixton or Lambeth in general.

Go on UK Twitter & you’ll see everyone using words like like ‘chale’, ‘sha’, ‘ashawo’, ‘pele’, etc., - those are naij/Ghana words. There are even some proper London slangs (old skool slangs & popular ones) that someone broke down for me that had origins in naij/Ghana (I need to check again). But I won’t claim both are that influential. It’s still Caribbean & Cockney for the most part.
Nah im from North g and you know what fair enough, South esp Brikky is so heavily Caribbean influenced, you might be right for your ends :yeshrug:

Like you said, theres barely any malis there. Them man deffo left influence in North/NW and East

But outside of there, Mali's deffo have influence esp under a certain age group. The younger you go the more they have.

And I cant lie, only African words I see often is Nyash or Sha or the way they use Babe.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You don’t hear the sudden influx of Arabic/Muslim words. Dunya? Habibi? Sharmuta? Shaytan? Pagan? Inshallah? Mushallah? Wallahi? Abdi? And this just the ones I can think of off rip. I be hearing some crazier shyt

Them Somalis brought that over
:mjlol: at not being Somali and walking around using these terms as slang :scusthov:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Nah im from North g and you know what fair enough, South esp Brikky is so heavily Caribbean influenced, you might be right for your ends :yeshrug:

Like you said, theres barely any malis there. Them man deffo left influence in North/NW and East

But outside of there, Mali's deffo have influence esp under a certain age group. The younger you go the more they have.

And I cant lie, only African words I see often is Nyash or Sha or the way they use Babe.

Maybe in North with Malis in Tottenham/Edmonton & East (Leyton/Leytonstone/Tower Hamlets).

But South always influences London twang & the places the influence comes from, there’s barely any Malis. And the few Arabic words mandem use came from Muslim Boys (SMS) & their influence on Muslim roadman.

You just listed 3 west African slangs unique to west Africa - list 3 Somali slangs from Somali language that’s not Arabic (Somalis have their own language). Don’t say ‘Jareer’ cos that’s an internet slur word & no one says that in everyday convo.