TOP 50 LYRICISTS (THE SOURCE EDITION) MAGAZINE SCANS

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
:dry: lol @ beans. jadakiss had more influence on rocafella rappers than jay. hell, rocafella's roster influenced jay themselves but we're not even gonna get into that right now.

the rest of these names, all of them arent even lyricists. young jeezy? kanye west? lol.

wayne got his schtick from gillie, another guy that jay-z bit, altho you can say that the biting went both ways with those 2, but you get the point.

ross is moreso influenced by biggie and scarface.

tip is the epitomy of marginal lyricism. who cares.

i hear moreso other rappers in lupe, rather than jay.

:what: jay bit gillie, please elaborate on this?

weather waybe bit gillie or not he and ti were 2 of the biggest rappers in the game at one point, and yes ti was a very good lyricist in his prime and so was wayne

ross sounds nothing like scarface or raps nothing like him so i dont see the influence at all.

lupe admitted himself he was heavily influenced by jay on f&l which he also happened to co produce.

everything else i agree with somewhat.

emoney

custom user title
Daps
Lauryn Hill is too high IMO

Big L is also too high

I also disagree with many of you on the first couple of posts on AZ....he hasn't done much to warrant be high up on a list like that. AZ hasn't really accomplished sh!t....it's just his association with Nas that makes you guys feel he's elite. Look at what his career has come to without Nas

SubLyminalz

Supporter
Daps
and out of those you named who do you consider to be a lyricist?

now im gonna give you lupe as a lyricist, but he also said nas is his favorite rapper and that he doesn't want to be jay-z so he isn't really the best example to support your arguement.

ti
wayne
ross
fab

were all good lyricist at some point of there careers, maybe not now (wayne, fab, ti,)

ross is heavily influenced by both jay and nas.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Wayne is his prime was definitley influenced by Jay-Z and he was great rapper.
TI never sounded influenced by Jay-Z to me.
Ross has Jay,BIG and Nas influences on his "maybach music" type tracks.
Fab to me is more influenced by Harlem nikkas than Jay-Z, that multi's/punchline shyt started with Mase/Big L and all them.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Lauryn Hill is too high IMO

Big L is also too high

I also disagree with many of you on the first couple of posts on AZ....he hasn't done much to warrant be high up on a list like that. AZ hasn't really accomplished sh!t....it's just his association with Nas that makes you guys feel he's elite. Look at what his career has come to without Nas

lol @ big L being too high.

AZ at his peak is a top 10 lyricist. lol @ trying to say that his association with nas had anything to do with it. there was a time when AZ' career was more successful than nas'. as for what his career has come to, dude got caught up in 2 or 3 crippling label situations. most notably, his 1st label basically throwing his career under the bus after the success of his debut.

:what: jay bit gillie, please elaborate on this?

weather waybe bit gillie or not he and ti were 2 of the biggest rappers in the game at one point, and yes ti was a very good lyricist in his prime and so was wayne

ross sounds nothing like scarface or raps nothing like him so i dont see the influence at all.

lupe admitted himself he was heavily influenced by jay on f&l which he also happened to co produce.

everything else i agree with somewhat.

jay sharked some of gillie chit. jay sharked chit from alot of niccas. notably a number of philly niccas during that time and there was backlash for that. and you do know that gillie turned down a rocafella deal, right?

wayne didnt bite gillie. gillie GAVE wayne his style and wrote alot of his stuff at one point.

ross' main selling point is the whole scarface/biggie mashup.

the lupe quote sounds more like a statement of convenience, seeing that jay took the time out to be apart of the album, even moreso than he did for his own artists.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think you meant to replace "Jay" with "Big Daddy Kane".

Smh at G Rap at 18

Smh at Lauryn Hill that high

Smh at Kayne, 50 Cent and Ross even being on the list

Grap is too low,he had more influence on nikkas then Rakim I would say as far as style....why he's that low? The name Rakim has just gotten more massaging over the years.

And no I didn't mean Big Daddy Kane,influencing jay don't mean he influenced everybody Jay influenced.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
eminem #6 while cannibus is #44.:whistle:

no gripes with ll cool j being where hes at but kool moe dee is a better lyricist and hes not even mentioned.

wheres lord finesse?

killa cam & murder mase would ish on probably half of the people mentioned.

none of the o.g. super-lyrical cats are even mentioned.

and again, wheres AZ & beanie siegal!!??

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
camron not on the list, but 50 cent is?

:trash:

SubLyminalz

Supporter
Daps
lol @ big L being too high.

AZ at his peak is a top 10 lyricist. lol @ trying to say that his association with nas had anything to do with it. there was a time when AZ' career was more successful than nas'. as for what his career has come to, dude got caught up in 2 or 3 crippling label situations. most notably, his 1st label basically throwing his career under the bus after the success of his debut.

jay sharked some of gillie chit. jay sharked chit from alot of niccas. notably a number of philly niccas during that time and there was backlash for that. and you do know that gillie turned down a rocafella deal, right?

wayne didnt bite gillie. gillie GAVE wayne his style and wrote alot of his stuff at one point.

ross' main selling point is the whole scarface/biggie mashup.

the lupe quote sounds more like a statement of convenience, seeing that jay took the time out to be apart of the album, even moreso than he did for his own artists.
it sounds like you have gillie mistaken for chris because i never heard of jay biting off of gillie, obvious ducktales.

its the same as biting.

ross sounds nothing like scarface, he sounds more like eightball than scarface again idk where your getting this shyt from, his selling point is songs life bmf and most of his singles where he has no face influence.

what rocafella artist even released a album in 06 besides jay?