TONY KHAN STINKS! (TK ⛷️❄️ BINGES ON OFFER FROM WBD; WEMBLEY TURNSTILE COUNT = 46K 😢; DYNAMITE NO MILLION WATCH: 575 DAYS/82 WEEKS)

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Except for the occasional Great Muta or La Parka, the average American fan only cares about American wrestlers.
Honestly I think this is partly why Rey Mysterio is still on weekly TV - they haven’t found his “replacement” after all these years.

Not luchadores/kinda related but remember when dudes like Amazing Red and Jody Fleisch were supposed to be the next Rey? That was in like 2002-03. Crazy how Rey Rey is still going at it and still over af with the American crowds.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Honestly I think this is partly why Rey Mysterio is still on weekly TV - they haven’t found his “replacement” after all these years.

Not luchadores/kinda related but remember when dudes like Amazing Red and Jody Fleisch were supposed to be the next Rey? That was in like 2002-03. Crazy how Rey Rey is still going at it and still over af with the American crowds.

Amazing red was as close as anyone ever got. Damn shame they never hired him.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

The fans know that Rey is Mexican, but he isn't one of those Mexicans. Crehito is fully Americanized. Check it, his big moves are the 619 (San Diego's area code) & the West Coast (California) Pop, none of his signature moves have latin-sounding names. Rey doesn't have the thick accent he had in ECW or WCW anymore. Even Rey's theme song is American music.
Rey is loved by the American fans because he has become one of us, he's not like those other luchadors.
:mjpls: , just in case.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

I legit think if Lucha Underground kept going they would've had a chance to create a legit national Lucha following. Ricochet and pentagon got super popular domestically there.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The fans know that Rey is Mexican, but he isn't one of those Mexicans. Crehito is fully Americanized. Check it, his big moves are the 619 (San Diego's area code) & the West Coast (California) Pop, none of his signature moves have latin-sounding names. Rey doesn't have the thick accent he had in ECW or WCW anymore. Even Rey's theme song is American music.
Rey is loved by the American fans because he has become one of us, he's not like those other luchadors.
:mjpls: , just in case.

Breh, Rey was born in San Diego.

Of course he's Americanized, he was born in America :mjlol:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Breh, Rey was born in San Diego.

Of course he's Americanized, he was born in America :mjlol:
Re-read my last sentence, that's exactly what I said. American fans see Rey Misterio as one of us; we know he's American, and that's why he's so loved & accepted.
If Rey was born in the same town as Silver King or Villano IV, then he'd only be as popular in America as they are today.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

I mean Rey just has so much respect, doesn't matter how old you are you at one point you've seen him on TV. Someone you can always go "hey I remember him". As well as being a great worker. There has never been a guy that small that got featured as much as him, he is the underdog posterboy of the last 3 decades. :salute:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
I think Rey worked because he really popped off at a time where his wrestling style wasn’t something American fans saw a lot of. It stuck

But today it’s harder to break a luchadore when American wrestlers have pretty much adopted a b*stardized version of the high flying lucha style while also being capable of speaking with clarity and cutting promos that people are invested in

It’s always gonna boil down to their ability to connect with fans via that microphone. Even a dude like Ricochet has a ceiling because of his inability to speak and he’s American lol. I do think WWE’s figured out a way around that with women wrestlers, but for men that English barrier is always gonna be an obstacle. We’ll still see successes, but never at the same rate as their English speaking peers

Last edited:

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MODEL WIFE LMAO, yall dudes are funny all you have to be is spanish and dudes will say she is bad. Facially she is trash

Tay_Melo_%2853604517625%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
I only went by what he claimed. I haven't actually seen the broad.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
“Same-market, same-event type comparison” here means we’re looking at the estimated tickets distributed and comparing that number against the last time the same event type was in that market.

This is the most meaningful way I’ve found to assess live event business. It allows us to avoid problems with comparing different markets to one another (e.g., New York, NY tends to have bigger crowds than Huntsville, AL) and different event types (e.g., PPVs draw better than Raw or Smackdown, which draw better than house shows).

AEW: same-market, same-event type comparisons for May 2024

• -27% on 5/1/2024 in Winnipeg, MB for Dynamite: 5,377 (from 7,361 on 3/15/2023)
  • -20% on 5/8/2024 in Edmonton, AB for Dynamite: 4,572 (from 5,746 on 7/5/2023)
  • -19% on 5/26/2024 in Las Vegas, NV for PPV: 8,575 (from 10,550 on 5/28/2023)
  • -42% on 5/29/2024 in Inglewood, CA for Dynamite: 5,553 (from 9,636 on 1/11/2023)

xY9A3LuX-3.jpg

yZKfgMVE-3.jpg

o1dNH9gq.jpg

NEVBAUis.jpg