TONY KHAN STINKS! (TK ⛷️❄️ BINGES ON OFFER FROM WBD; WEMBLEY TURNSTILE COUNT = 46K 😢; DYNAMITE NO MILLION WATCH: 575 DAYS/82 WEEKS)

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
:lolbron:

I think it’s some truth to that lol. Still though, I think doing shyt under the assumption that the people who rockin with you aren’t going anywhere is a slippery slope. Real dangerous game.

shyt, Marvel/Disney thought they could start catering to women and cash in on all that girl power shyt with the same assumption that it’s core fanbase wasn’t going anywhere, and now they’re in the dumps with flop after flop.

Tried to cater to a fan that didn’t want them in the first place and the results are super ugly lol.. and it’s also like, are people who want a WWE style presentation even looking anywhere outside of WWE for that?

I just don't think "WWE style" is as universally distinct as people make it out to be.

1997/1998 WCW was extremely successful (more than WWF) and I don't think it was THAT different from WWF at the time. The headliners were big jacked larger than life characters like Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, Sting, Luger. As much as people like to associate WCW with the cruiserweights and luchadors, those guys weren't headlining shyt, they were just a nice bonus part of the undercard. The biggest difference in stories and promos with WCW and WWF in 1998 was WWF was allowed to get way crazier with language/content/etc than WCW was because of the network standards & practices restricting shyt.

WCW didn't overtake WWF because of Japanese wrestlers and technical wrestling classics, they took big stars from WWE and put them in a crazy reality-based storyline. shyt they took the WWF announcers (Mean Gene and Heenan) and made their show look more like WWF than anything they were doing in the past.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Yea, WoW is a thing

idk the tv deal for it, but it does have tv showings
9b72dd7e586d0879fdc8ab0b7a08c922.png

So only thing look like they lacking is the big money behind it.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
I just don't think "WWE style" is as universally distinct as people make it out to be.

1997/1998 WCW was extremely successful (more than WWF) and I don't think it was THAT different from WWF at the time. The headliners were big jacked larger than life characters like Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, Sting, Luger. As much as people like to associate WCW with the cruiserweights and luchadors, those guys weren't headlining shyt, they were just a nice bonus part of the undercard. The biggest difference in stories and promos with WCW and WWF in 1998 was WWF was allowed to get way crazier with language/content/etc than WCW was because of the network standards & practices restricting shyt.

WCW didn't overtake WWF because of Japanese wrestlers and technical wrestling classics, they took big stars from WWE and put them in a crazy reality-based storyline. shyt they took the WWF announcers (Mean Gene and Heenan) and made their show look more like WWF than anything they were doing in the past.

For me, WWE style is an emphasis on soap opera storytelling and minimal amounts of wrestling. That’s what it’s been for the last 20 years. Other elements might change but that’s the constant. It’s the formula that’s winning currently. If you look at all the most watched segments of the last 5 years, I’m willing to bet none of them actually involved wrestling lol

At this point it’s clear what the most people will tune in for

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
For me, WWE style is an emphasis on soap opera storytelling and minimal amounts of wrestling. That’s what it’s been for the last 20 years. Other elements might change but that’s the constant. It’s the formula that’s winning currently. If you look at all the most watched segments of the last 5 years, I’m willing to bet none of them actually involved wrestling lol

At this point it’s clear what the most people will tune in for

shyt you can go back beyond 20 years. Hogan wasn't putting on 20 minute 4 star TV matches in the 80s. In the height of the Attitude Era you'd probably see only 1 match on Raw go beyond 10 minutes, if that.

the point of weekly TV is to get the audience hyped for the PPV matches. The post-match beatdown the Young Bucks did on Sting and Darby the other week was more effective than damn near any actual match they've had on AEW TV in years

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
shyt you can go back beyond 20 years. Hogan wasn't putting on 20 minute 4 star TV matches in the 80s. In the height of the Attitude Era you'd probably see only 1 match on Raw go beyond 10 minutes, if that.

the point of weekly TV is to get the audience hyped for the PPV matches. The post-match beatdown the Young Bucks did on Sting and Darby the other week was more effective than damn near any actual match they've had on AEW TV in years
Yup, I agree with this wholeheartedly

Which is why I genuinely feel AEW would have to scale the amount of wrestling they present way way back and replace it with an emphasis on soap style storytelling if they really wanted to see significant growth outside of people who already watch them on a weekly basis

But still that’s a dangerous game when the people who champion the product now do so largely because of the fact that they’re offering more wrestling lol

I don’t think it’s as easy as offering more video recaps and telling “better” stories. They’d legit have to cut back on one in favor or the other, and I don’t see Tony being willing to do that. At all. That mf was a cattle type fan before he owned his own promotion. He ain’t about to magically realize he had it wrong all these years, he gon quadruple down on what he thinks this shyt is about, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on free agents to cover the wounds

This is our reality :lolbron:

Last edited:

itiswhatitis

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Which is why I genuinely feel AEW would have to scale the amount of wrestling they present way way back and replace it with an emphasis on soap style storytelling if they really wanted to see significant growth outside of people who already watch them on a weekly basis

But still that’s a dangerous game when the people who champion the product now do so largely because of the fact that they’re offering more wrestling lol

I don’t think it’s as easy as offering more video recaps and telling “better” stories. They’d legit have to cut back on one in favor or the other, and I don’t see Tony being willing to do that. At all. That mf was a cattle type fan before he owned his own promotion. He ain’t about to magically realize he had it wrong all these years, he gon quadruple down on what he thinks this shyt is about, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on free agents to cover the wounds

That fan base will enjoy anything AEW feeds them. It’s really not about the product like they preach. It’s contrarian and gatekeeping culture.

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

So AEW tried doing a storyline heavy, wrestling lite episode of Dynamite. I believe it was before DON 2022 or 2021. Eventhough it was a great episode character wise, the hardcore vocal minority were angry and complaining to Tony because it was only like 40 minutes of wrestling or something. TK’s response was to promise to never do another wrestling lite tv show again and unfortunately he has kept that promise . If you want character building, have to watch the promos on YouTube. It’s stupid but it’s TK catering to the ones who love him and not caring about growth