[Tom Henderson] PS5 Pro specs and release window details (codenamed Trinity, 30WGPs, 18000mts memory speed, November 2024 target)

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I still feel like this shyt is reminding me of "tiled resources" that the xbots used to brag about so I'm curious how it will perform.

Nah, upscaling has had way more importance in its shorter lifetime than tiles rendering. MS was trying to sell conventional API stuff (that was late in DirectX) to the masses as a holy grail, like the cloud or that ESRAM. :lolbron:

Sony's upscaling IDK much about, just need to wait and see in person. FSR is usually kind of ass, Sony has their own separate graphics API for consoles plus they're BSD based.

Remember when stories like this

were met with collective skepticism and dismissal from the same people praising pssr right now???

I remember :wow:

This was a (rather sloppy) AI upscale photo teaser. I think there's GT7 footage of Sony's take in action.

MS is electing to have these other solutions as part of the DirectX tools at some point so maybe they'll do the right thing and embrace XeSS retroactively. :ehh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Anonymous developer in EDGE talking about making PS5 Pro versions of games. Shipped many multiplatform games over the last 25 years.

"Developing a PS5 Pro version isn't a pain in the arse at all," he says. "Why would it be? It makes it easier to use your PC version [as the basis]. It's just like adjusting the settings. Dealing with multiple hardware variations is only difficult when you have to spend the largest amount of time tuning and optimising for the lowest-spec hardware, such as Series S. For us, allowing for PS5 Pro [with our current project] is easy to do, and it would be like that for any developer, really."

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
"Dealing with multiple hardware variations is only difficult when you have to spend the largest amount of time tuning and optimising for the lowest-spec hardware, such as Series S"

tumblr_p4rfdaD8ZU1v6w3juo6_500.gifv

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m confused why you quoted me here.

I didn’t make that thread.

And in it i was advocating full, real 4k.

At that time “upscaling” was mocked and games were judged specifically by their internal resolution.

Now yall running out to buy an “upscaling” machine and posting cac tweets about how upscaling is the future of games and internal resolutions doesn’t mean anything anymore.

You and your cac tweets inconsistent as always :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m confused why you quoted me here.

I didn’t make that thread.

And in it i was advocating full, real 4k.

At that time “upscaling” was mocked and games were judged specifically by their internal resolution.

Now yall running out to buy an “upscaling” machine and posting cac tweets about how upscaling is the future of games and internal resolutions doesn’t mean anything anymore.

You and your cac tweets inconsistent as always :wow:
Yeah, YOU were the main one mocking it :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah, YOU were the main one mocking it :mjlol:
and i still am right now.

Yall the ones that changed your story.

Xbox one was shytted on for sub 1080 games. Now all these year later you are running out to buy a 700 console that will play sub 1080p games cause it’s got a new buzzword you can stan:mjlol:

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

Xbox one was shytted on for sub 1080 games. Now all these year later you are running out to buy a 700 console that will play sub 1080p games cause it’s got a new buzzword you can stan:mjlol:
Wow

Trashbox. Still holding us back

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

We changed our story? We were the ones talking about reconstruction/upscaling methods to make games look better and then soon after you started seeing new things come out like DLSS, FSR, XeSS years later and now Sony is jumping into it with PSSR.

U always hated the Greatstation's accomplishments :wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
We changed our story? We were the ones talking about reconstruction/upscaling methods to make games look better and then soon after you started seeing new things come out like DLSS, FSR, XeSS years later and now Sony is jumping into it with PSSR.

U always hated the Greatstation's accomplishments :wow:
The fact that you really are trying to say you think Ryse, a game that's running in 900P is graphically better than the 1080p games posted above is laughable.

Sony muthufukkin stans :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Developer Naughty Dog is refreshingly open about the basic rendering setup in this update. The new "Pro" mode delivers a 4K final image with PSSR upsampling from a 1440p internal resolution at 60fps. That means we're looking at a new rendering option that superficially seems similar to the old Performance mode, with the same internal rendering resolution and frame-rate target, so most image quality differences here should come down to that new reconstruction method.

In side-by-sides, the PSSR upscale is delivering a lot of extra image detail relative to the old 1440p render. The difference can be surprisingly stark at times, like with the fine textures and water droplets on Abby's backpack, which are rendered with much more detail on Pro. Part 2 has some very nice art assets, and PSSR exposes a lot of texture detail that's obscured on the base machine. It also does a good job of avoiding moiré patterns on fine texture detail, which is very good for an upsampling solution. Texture art at oblique angles also resolves more clearly, though I believe anisotropic filtering settings are unchanged.

Image stability is somewhat more mixed. Head-to-heads in most scenes reveal that both machines offer a consistent and temporally stable image from a normal viewing distance. There is a bit of a trend on Pro to resolve a bit more detail, while also suffering from extra image breakup. For instance, hanging strings on the base console become faint and flicker lightly in and out of view, while the Pro resolves sharper lines that have a tendency to pulse over multiple frames. The Pro definitely delivers clearer foliage rendering, but we do see obvious breakup - and occasionally a bit of PSSR blur as well. Rarely, scenes expose substantially more breakup on Pro than the base console. In typical play though, I think both options are doing a good enough job.

PSSR tends to present with a bit of extra image breakup on geometric edges and foliage in comparison to DLSS, at least in its early incarnation here. PSSR's infancy is key though, as DLSS has had nearly six years of in-the-wild deployment to develop and evolve to what we have today. Sony developers have confirmed that they've already seen substantial performance and quality improvements with PSSR so far, and I expect that trend will continue. But in the here and now, PSSR at least seems better than FSR at delivering a temporally stable image.

Interestingly, Naughty Dog is leaving the old PS5 modes in as well - alongside an option to unlock the frame-rate entirely on VRR panels, like we've seen with prior Naughty Dog efforts on PS5. According to the developer though, these older modes really just exist on PS5 Pro as a reminder of how the game looked before. That said, if the full power of the Pro is deployed in the older modes with unlocked frame-rates, you should see a substantial performance edge over the base console. It's likely the 40fps fidelity mode option will remain as well when using 120Hz output with the unlocked toggle on, but without VRR enabled.

Overall, I'd say the PS5 Pro's rendition of The Last of Us Part 2 seems successful, even in this pre-release state. It delivers a credible looking 4K image with excellent detail and pretty good image stability, at a virtually flawless 60fps update. It's effectively as Mark Cerny put it in the PS5 Pro announcement video - "achieving fidelity-like graphics at performance frame-rate". Rich came away with similar impressions from his capture session, as he actually played and recorded the PS5 Pro devkit capture used for the accompanying video and screenshots above