Todd McFarlane Says His ‘Spawn’ Film Will Actually Earn Its Hard R-Rating, Unlike Deadpool

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Welp…Todd is determined if not nothing else :francis:

Todd McFarlane Says New Spawn Movie Could Become Streaming Series (Exclusive)

It’s kinda insane that at a time where movie studios are banking off comic book joints and reboots alike, the proposed Spawn movie is coming off so slow development wise

…although lowkey it’s likely McFarlane’s insistence on directing it himself is the major roadblock :martin:butI get it

Yeah, he's definitely the problem. Studios are more than willing to invest in comics properties right now, but you've gotta be willing to play ball at least a little bit. MacFarlane insisting on writing and directing makes this a non-starter since has no experience in either capacity for movies, and his only experience as a movie producer was the last Spawn movie, which flopped.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Spawn should be much bigger in media films, tv, games, comics ect but Todd ia the reason he's being held back. His damn ego is out of control this is never happening and his insistence on propping up the detectives instead of Spawn is irritating.

I don't think would've ever been bigger than he was in '92-'94. He's too on the edge, so he'd eliminate a good portion of the proper demographic needed. Plus, there's no studio backing them. After their initial surge, Image could not keep up with the Big 2...and that's even after taking their artists. The HBO show even happened when he was on the decline in comics, and that was A+ quality and still didn't move the needle. Plus, the rest of their characters didn't take off - WildCATS cartoon was trash and flopped. Savage Dragon was OK, but still flopped.

I think even in today's comicbook movie climate, a Spawn movie flops.

I think his falloff in comics is pretty much the same falloff everyone encounters, however, I've been back reading the book since around 145, and it's been one of the most consistently good books out there.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Todd being a control freak, for better or for worse, is part of the charm and why Spawn reached the level it did in the first place I think. It's why he started Image with them dudes, for control and ownership.
The best piece of Spawn media is still the HBO show and I can't see a film that taps into that style being a success. I've said it elsewhere on here but Spawn is at it's best when they lean more on the horror/darkness elements. With how adult animation is kinda having a renaissance he should push to get another cartoon made with some talent and let the movie idea rest.

Last edited:

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
Todd being a control freak, for better or for worse, is part of the charm and why Spawn reached the level it did in the first place I think. It's why he started Image with them dudes, for control and ownership.
The best piece of Spawn media is still the HBO show and I can't see a film that taps into that style being a success. I've said it elsewhere on here but Spawn is at it's best when they lean more on the horror/darkness elements. With how adult animation is kinda having a renaissance he should push to get another cartoon made with some talent and let the movie idea rest.
Todd is selling that big time in regards to the new film, points out the R success of Joker and Deadpool, and even have/had Blumhouse onboard.

I DO wonder, however, is that aside from Todd wanting to basically run the set, if any of the studios are iffy about the general audience buying the “detective movie” angle, with Spawn being a silent avenger of sorts. Especially if they’re (studios) already familiar with the character and the comics. Some industry folks might feel that’s too ambiguous of an angle to take, with the detective himself being the main star, instead of Spawn himself. Spawn’s not a big enough household name compared to other well known properties, so if it ain’t him front and center, some moviegoers already ain’t funking with it

The Batman at least had the detective/mystery going with him still being the headlining character

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
lmaaaooo funny seeing shyt that you don't remember writing

But have you seen deadpool? It happened :dame:
Deadpool-1.jpg

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah, he's definitely the problem. Studios are more than willing to invest in comics properties right now, but you've gotta be willing to play ball at least a little bit. MacFarlane insisting on writing and directing makes this a non-starter since has no experience in either capacity for movies, and his only experience as a movie producer was the last Spawn movie, which flopped.
Even though MJW did his thing, the last Spawn was debacle :mjlol:. I would want to write and direct too. Just make it like the animated series and call it day.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Todd is selling that big time in regards to the new film, points out the R success of Joker and Deadpool, and even have/had Blumhouse onboard.

I DO wonder, however, is that aside from Todd wanting to basically run the set, if any of the studios are iffy about the general audience buying the “detective movie” angle, with Spawn being a silent avenger of sorts. Especially if they’re (studios) already familiar with the character and the comics. Some industry folks might feel that’s too ambiguous of an angle to take, with the detective himself being the main star, instead of Spawn himself. Spawn’s not a big enough household name compared to other well known properties, so if it ain’t him front and center, some moviegoers already ain’t funking with it

The Batman at least had the detective/mystery going with him still being the headlining character
It wasn't on board until you typed this, that I really see Todd's vision. Imagine se7en, but the killer is Spawn.. Now it's going to take an AMAZING fukking team to make that happen, but the vision is on point.

It'd be the first horror comic book movie. We not counting that bullshyt Marvel insane asylum movie either.. It would open up a new audience of horror fans who don't want to see campy heroes in tights. It can be scary and gory and vulgar as it needs to be, because it is R. And you still have enough comic book fans who know who Spawn is, to at least give it a try.

The vision is there. So it's definitely him blocking it. Because if David Fincher asked to direct it, it'd be greenlit tomorrow

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Studios absolutely are iffy about it.

Because ultimately, the elevator pitch on it is that it's a comic book movie named after the main character, and the main character is barely in the movie. That's the makings of a spinoff, not a mainline movie.

Combine that with him wanting a deathgrip on all the details, and we're stuck with what we've got now.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Studios absolutely are iffy about it.

Because ultimately, the elevator pitch on it is that it's a comic book movie named after the main character, and the main character is barely in the movie. That's the makings of a spinoff, not a mainline movie.

Combine that with him wanting a deathgrip on all the details, and we're stuck with what we've got now.
But the only thing he had involvement with was the HBO series, and that was fire.

I think it can work, but it's gonna take everyone buying into the vision