To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
B.Wright was also voted the 3rd best GM using sabremetrics last year. I wonder where he will land this year

I read the introduction of this but skipped all the rankings since I don't really care to read about how good or bad of a GM Sean Marks is. It's too long a read to go through every one.

But the takeaway from that is kind of the same as what we all thought -- on the surface it looks like Brian Wright is doing a good job but ultimately there's not a lot of sample size.

This 2024 NBA Draft will be critical in my mind because San Antonio is not getting those Toronto and Charlotte 1st rounders.
They're probably not getting Chicago's 1st rounder next summer either.

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
I read the introduction of this but skipped all the rankings since I don't really care to read about how good or bad of a GM Sean Marks is. It's too long a read to go through every one.

But the takeaway from that is kind of the same as what we all thought -- on the surface it looks like Brian Wright is doing a good job but ultimately there's not a lot of sample size.

This 2024 NBA Draft will be critical in my mind because San Antonio is not getting those Toronto and Charlotte 1st rounders.
They're probably not getting Chicago's 1st rounder next summer either.
Yup and this is a weak draft so he's going to have to make some moves in FA.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
OKC was picking at the top of the draft, No GM is going to mess that up. Late lottery and down is a crap shoot. A lot of those guys just don't pan out. The Primo pick was all-time bad, no excusing that.
Tons of GM’s certainly blow the lottery year after year

Book was churning out 19-win seasons before Monty in 2020

Charlotte been fukking up since they drafted kemba in 2011

Minnesota was lost before getting Ant

Detroit’s fan base wants Troy Weaver fired

shyt, the Spurs were a golf ball away from drafting a Thompson twin. But now that they have him, they need to understand that they can’t afford to fukk it up.

Im not saying that they need to turn to a 55-win team overnight. But they absolutely need to do what Houston is doing now. Because whatever the fukk Silas was doing for the 2 years before Udoka was hired was a complete waste of everyone’s time.

Deciding to churn out another 18-win season next year would be an absolute failure by the organization. The Spurs have the cap room and assets to win ~35 games. Don’t sell the farm to do it, but use SOME assets to actually move toward building a team that’s somewhat competitive

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
flat out, the "potential" and development of pretty much everyone not named Victor or Devin isnt even close to worth keeping them longer than this season :manny:

acting like the smartest guys in the room and thumbing your nose at proven talent like Trae young is fukking hilarious considering the product on the floor (not saying you guys in this thread specifically, but on social media like twitter and reddit)

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hope that Brian Wright doesn't fall into this trap that comes with analytics, where they become obsessed with getting value and efficiency.
Sure, getting value for the money or value for the draft position matters. But in the end you can't overlook raw points or raw wins.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Which free agents do you think make sense for San Antonio to pursue?
There's nobody really good on the market this summer. Probably not next summer either.

If they make the move for Trae Young, they'll have him for 3 seasons before he hits free agency (2025, 2026, 2027).
It would probably take more than just Trae Young and Wemby to make them really great, though I would be forced to admit it's a start.

Defensively the Spurs are pretty bad outside of Wemby.
Offensively, the Spurs are terrible.

The focus has been taken off of Popovich this season because Wemby has shown flashes of being great. But people shouldn't forget that last season there was a lot of talk about moving on from Pop and giving the reins to a younger, modern coach. That should still be on the table, because it's hard to see Popovich being here as Wemby matures over the long haul.