To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
Jeremy surprised the hell outta me tonight
I know I'm coming off as a JS hater these past few posts, but I'm still in not in love with the fact that a poor-shooting hustle guy is looked at as untouchable on this team. His numbers were amazing against Phoenix last night. Dude hit a huge shot too. Hopefully it turns into something consistent (although there's only 10 games left). But you know who else put up some really good numbers to close out the season last year?

w640xh480_GettyImages-1250837866.jpg

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
I know I'm coming off as a JS hater these past few posts, but I'm still in not in love with the fact that a poor-shooting hustle guy is looked at as untouchable on this team. His numbers were amazing against Phoenix last night. Dude hit a huge shot too. Hopefully it turns into something consistent (although there's only 10 games left). But you know who else put up some really good numbers to close out the season last year?

yeah, 1 game doesn't change my mindset. i'm simply not sold on him as being a core piece.

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio

Unlike Collins, Sochan actually tries on defense and guards the opposing teams best player. Sochan is also still very young and has untapped potential. Collins is what he is and past his prime.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Unlike Collins, Sochan actually tries on defense and guards the opposing teams best player. Sochan is also still very young and has untapped potential. Collins is what he is and past his prime.
Solid point (although damn past prime at age 26 :russ:). What is Sochan's potential to you though? Should he still be starting working on reaching that potential (currently seems like a bad fit next to Wemby since he can't space the floor). At least he's locked in for cheap for two more seasons before we have to make a financial decision (although we likely try to extend him at the beginning of the 25-26 season).

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Social media allows you to see a player's personality off the court and the Spurs kids are generally fun and goofy.
Sometimes though, I think there needs to be a veteran presence to make these kids get serious about their work ethic and practice.

These Instagram Lives and HEB commercials and all that is cool. They need to remember that people expect them to improve and win. Jeremy Sochan is the first person that I think of as a bit of a class clown on this roster. Well when you're Dennis Rodman, you can do that from time to time. But right now, you're not Dennis Rodman. Get serious, kid.

Timmy, Manu and Tony didn't have the reputation of being surly, grizzled veteran hard asses. But you never questioned the work.
And I question the work when it comes to these kids.

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Solid point (although damn past prime at age 26 :russ:). What is Sochan's potential to you though? Should he still be starting working on reaching that potential (currently seems like a bad fit next to Wemby since he can't space the floor). At least he's locked in for cheap for two more seasons before we have to make a financial decision (although we likely try to extend him at the beginning of the 25-26 season).

His age and rookie contract is why I'm more willing to be patient and trust in his development. He wants to be better and we see flashes of potential. The next step in his development is shooting. Looking at clips of him after practice and him mentioning in the post game presser that he spends a lot of time with the shooting coach in the gym and outside of the gym gives me hope that it's going to happen eventually.

Him taking on the task of guarding the best player every night and making those guys work is also a positive.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
These Instagram Lives and HEB commercials and all that is cool. They need to remember that people expect them to improve and win.
Makes me think of when Vassell got into it with Don Harris following his tweet during the OKC game.

DV just got the biggest contract in Spurs history. He (and the team as a whole) needs to remember those expectations. Pop's nonchalant attitude works when you have ready-made killers like DunGAWD and Manu leading the charge. And Pop def is treating these players with kid-gloves compared to how he coached Parker.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
Makes me think of when Vassell got into it with Don Harris following his tweet during the OKC game.

DV just got the biggest contract in Spurs history. He (and the team as a whole) needs to remember those expectations. Pop's nonchalant attitude works when you have ready-made killers like DunGAWD and Manu leading the charge. And Pop def is treating these players with kid-gloves compared to how he coached Parker.

Yeah but you know Pop can't coach these dudes today the same way he coached Tony back then

And in Jeremy's defense everybody turned on him during the point guard experiment, which wasn't his fault

He's improved from his rookie year by a lot but he's unfairly been a scapegoat this year IMO

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I might be expecting too much but I have a real concern that the Spurs don't have a lot of time to get good.

Wemby looks like a future superstar or at the very least a perennial all star.

I do fear that he gets into Year 3 of his NBA career, the team isn't any good, and the chances that he leaves for another team go up dramatically.

You want these guys to taste the playoffs to give Wemby and his camp a reason to trust the process and that things are trending in the right direction.

This season is almost over. And what have we learned?

We learned that Wemby is good. But regarding all the other Spurs? We haven't learned shyt. Vassell and Keldon don't look any different than they did last year.

And none of the project players (Branham, Champagnie, Wesley, Mamu) have done shyt to inspire confidence for the future.

Tell me where I'm wrong?
I feel like we just learned that the Spurs still need to start from Ground Zero.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
We learned that Wemby is good. But regarding all the other Spurs? We haven't learned shyt. Vassell and Keldon don't look any different than they did last year.
I wonder what kind of contract DV would have commanded had he not been extended before this season. How much did we overpay by extending him early? :francis: