TIDAL is not off to a good start

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Free is what they were trying to avoid. But I agree with your approach in part. Rihanna has her own set of fans, Beyonce has her own set, Jason Aldean has his own fans, Madonna etc. That's a large base of people.

Seems like they could've done something BETTER than Jay Z and a bunch of stars on a commercial talking about how they're "taking back the power".

You're telling paying customers that you're not making enough and expecting them to spend MORE money(or switch to your product) in order to put more money in your pockets. But.....the fan gets nothing more in return than what they currently get on Spotify or Google Music.

I'm all for the betterment of the music biz, but that's really an asinine logic when you think about it.
I desire and am pursing a career in music but they are trying to do a money grab. There is nothing innovative about it.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Respect your research but the economics of it alone is a turn off.

If I was them with their celebrity, I'd offer it free with revenue coming from ads. All their stans would have flocked to it.

And that's what I don't understand. Or even some ish like $1 per month. They're gonna make $$$ from the ads no matter what, and streaming is no different to their pockets, since the labels still take their cut first.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
And that's what I don't understand. Or even some ish like $1 per month. They're gonna make $$$ from the ads no matter what, and streaming is no different to their pockets, since the labels still take their cut first.

well they can't make it too cheap, b/c then no one will buy CD's or itunes, Google etc.

But, on the other hand, if you really wanted to change the game....that would do it for sure. Everyone in their mama would sign up for $1. $12 a year for all the music in the world? Hell yeah....of course you don't own it, but at that price you could pretty much sign up for life. They'd make a ton of money.

But again, that would kill physical albums and digital sales as well.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
The craziest thing about the music industry is more "quality" music is being consumed and demanded but the industry is losing money to fund the industry. Meaning, only the performers who can tour and do shows will consistently make money but songwriters, session musicians, studio engineers, marketing, etc have to get paid. The sales fund that portion of the industry.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
fukk Tidal and that shameful, egotistical farce pulled this week. When I see Madonna crusty ass talking about putting power back in the artist hands from the greedy labels and shes worth 800 mil you know its straight :camby:
It tells there are that many idiots in America and abroad.

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
Try out rdio while u at it

Rdio is going to die or get acquired soon and its a shame because it's the best one. It's been a while since I compared it to spotify but it's way easier to use, catalog is pretty much as good and when you follow people it's GREAT for finding new music. Sucks that its just an afterthought in the whole conversation, if even that.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
Let them cook

Hell the PS and other high tech things come with the glitches first time round

Give em a lil time

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Rdio is the best competitor to Spotify right now. The only service that I think has potential of being bigger than Spotify (US) is Deezer. Once Deezer finally launches in the US they gonna change the game for sure.

Deezer is not available in the US? (:whoa: I don't really stream music but this surprised me...I know quite some people around me who use it)