This is BIG: Alimony law in Florida changes drastically under new bill

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
You said she's working, so there will be alimony. Her income will be considered in any child support arrangements as well. Your dude should be proactive and get the ball rolling on the divorce, so he can maintain as much control ass possible. He will probably be ordered to pay less than he is paying now.

Thats the fukked up part yo. The shyt financially cripples him to a point where he's struggling to get the money together to get the ball rolling on the divorce.

A lot of these cats in here talking shyt like things like this can happen to and dont concern them. Keep thinking that.

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I dont know....maybe because the kids are his financial responsibility, and his ex-wife is now taking care of the children they created together. Whats so confusing about this?

pre-settlement that just seems like a very substantial financial commitment considering the wife works and the kids probably have a lot of what they need already. and it seems they already have some sort of custody sharing in place. the poster also mentioned that the wife is known for partying and is possibly out there turning up even harder now. i'd be a little salty, to say the least.

i can respect him taking care of his kids though and trying to do what's right until settled. sounds like he should try and get custody of the kids too.

Technically by his calculations this is the equivalent of what he'd be required to pay in alimony/child support once the divorce is final

They are pretty civil about it and I'm cool with both of them so i see how things are. But i cant help but feel for homie because i know he's hurting.

i'm just wondering if pre-emptively paying what might be his alimony / child support could potentially damage his chances at getting a court order settlement that isn't as harsh... he should try to get custody of the kids if the wife is out in the streets more than he is. :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Thats the fukked up part yo. The shyt financially cripples him to a point where he's struggling to get the money together to get the ball rolling on the divorce.

A lot of these cats in here talking shyt like things like this can happen to and dont concern them. Keep thinking that.

Well he should stop paying all that money then. I see this problem all the time. We hear how skewd the laws are all the time, so dudes don't really take the time to read and learn the laws and their rights. They procrastinate and do things like your buddy is doing, cause they think they are gonna loose in court anyway. He probably thinks paying all that money will improve his standing in court. It wont and he wont get any credit for it. But if he takes some time and thoroughly educates and prepares himself, he can walk into court with the power and the info he needs to come out on top. Unless they have a business or some complicated assets to split up he wouldn't even need a lawyer.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

He needs to stop paying and put the money towards the divorce. Most likely the house will go to one of them and if they can't afford it, then they can sell and split the profit if any.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
pre-settlement that just seems like a very substantial financial commitment considering the wife works and the kids probably have a lot of what they need already. and it seems they already have some sort of custody sharing in place. the poster also mentioned that the wife is known for partying and is possibly out there turning up even harder now. i'd be a little salty, to say the least.

But fam...you're just not getting it. They created that family. The earnings were supposed to be combined and go to the family, completely. Now that the relationship is broken, those earnings are going to go primarily to the caretaker of the children. Its all about the children that he created, and ensuring that they have the best possible life. Once you have children and create a fam, it aint about you no more.

Taking care of children is difficult as hell on top of maintaining a job, so I dont know how much "turning up" shes doing exactly. If anything he's the one thats prolly turning it up considering he has a lot more free time on his hands. Who knows if he's willing or capable of being a full time single dad. Sht aint a game.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Well he should stop paying all that money then. I see this problem all the time. We hear how skewd the laws are all the time, so dudes don't really take the time to read and learn the laws and their rights. They procrastinate and do things like your buddy is doing, cause they think they are gonna loose in court anyway. He probably thinks paying all that money will improve his standing in court. It wont and he wont get any credit for it. But if he takes some time and thoroughly educates and prepares himself, he can walk into court with the power and the info he needs to come out on top. Unless they have a business or some complicated assets to split up he wouldn't even need a lawyer.
Thats wht we try to tell him. He said he's working on it but we'll see.

At least he has a new girl now who supports him and is helping him out to some degree. But yeah i tlod homie to get a lawyer and stop wasting time and money

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But fam...you're just not getting it. They created that family. The earnings were supposed to be combined and go to the family, completely. Now that the relationship is broken, those earnings are going to go primarily to the caretaker of the children. Its all about the children that he created, and ensuring that they have the best possible life. Once you have children and create a fam, it aint about you no more.

Taking care of children is difficult as hell on top of maintaining a job, so I dont know how much "turning up" shes doing exactly. If anything he's the one thats prolly turning it up considering he has a lot more free time on his hands. Who knows if he's willing or capable of being a full time single dad. Sht aint a game.

If the wife is working, then she should be paying a portion of the household bills as well. He has no business paying all of those bills on his own and he doesn't even live there. He's better than me, I'd be sleeping in the den or on the sofa or something.

No_bammer_weed

Daps
If the wife is working, then she should be paying a portion of the household bills as well. He has no business paying all of those bills on his own and he doesn't even live there. He's better than me, I'd be sleeping in the den or on the sofa or something.

whats the point of her paying some of the bills? I dont think you get the idea and concept of custody support and responsibility for the children. If he took primary care of the children then it would be a different story.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
whats the point of her paying some of the bills? I dont think you get the idea and concept of custody support and responsibility for the children. If he took primary care of the children then it would be a different story.

You're tripping.

She should be putting in something towards her own costs of living, regardless if she has the children full-time or not. Then to top it off, dude is struggling financially. What mother would want that for her kid's dad? AND he's getting his kids every other weekend.

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

by no means am i insinuating he should juke his responsibilities. if their combined incomes got them to the lifestyle they have now (and they're pretty close in income as the op said) then it seems like he's carrying far more of the load than she was before. i don't know the age of the kids, but during the week she's probably feeding the kids and taking them to school. they don't need clothes right now because they should be good with what they have already. she's taking them to school and going to work. they split custody on the weekend apparently. yes she's the primary caretaker for the kids so that counts for something. however, not knowing more details of their situation, it's hard to say how much he should be contributing especially considering they have equal pay scales.

i'm looking at it strictly on what we know from the prior posts, and to me it seems like he's being very generous in his financial contribution. it's possible that's just what the court would ask him to contribute, but none of us have a clue what they would determine given all the facts we don't know here.

if he was the primary bread winner making the lion's share of the income i would have no questions at all about what he should be financially contributing. that doesn't seem to be the case here though.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
yeah i haven't, because i don't hang around divorced men...

Well maybe perhaps MAYBE this thread doesnt concern you then... Why are we arguing here? :huh:

You do know you dont HAVE TO post on every thread you see right?

No_bammer_weed

Daps
You're tripping.

She should be putting in something towards her own costs of living, regardless if she has the children full-time or not. Then to top it off, dude is struggling financially. What mother would want that for her kid's dad? AND he's getting his kids every other weekend.

You have some sort of hang up here, and therefore you're making it all about her, when its all about the children. Her "cost of living" is inextricably tied to the children. Thats the way the court views things, and its the correct position from where I sit. Duke should have thought about this before he created a family. With his free time, he can supplement his income through other means, since he does not have to shoulder the emotional and time consuming cost of being a primary parent.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You have some sort of hang up here, and therefore you're making it all about her, when its all about the children. Her "cost of living" is inextricably tied to the children. Thats the way the court views things, and its the correct position from where I sit. Duke should have thought about this before he created a family. With his free time, he can supplement his income through other means, since he does not have to shoulder the emotional and time consuming cost of being a primary parent.

He still see's his children and I'm not denying that he's financially responsible for them but she still has a cost of living that she should feel ashamed for not paying. She should pay SOMETHING towards her housing and utility costs. If she lived in her own house, her husband would not be responsible for rent and utilities nor would the court make him pay it.