This blockchain startup selling collectible NBA highlights just had $50 million in sales in 30 days

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
This is a finessin of a finessa.
The NBA which owns the rights to all NbA video has trouble profiting off the fact that every clip from every game is out there, finesses some company to pay for certain clips and to put their stamp on it, then that company finesses herbs into thinking that clip is special and offer it for sell at exorbitant prices even tho that clip is out there for free :wow:
This is how the rich stay rich.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
could be
or they make digital versions of sports memorabilia and signed cards

:ohhh:

Ok. Ok. Now that would give it a layer of uniqueness and scarcity.

So does this make my 3,000 sports trading cards from the early 90s sitting in boxes somewhere more or less valuable? :patrice:

Last edited:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
The mindset of someone who bought this....

Seems like an herb to me :mjlol:
nikkas put a graphic overlay on a highlight and dude thinks it automatically has value :heh:
He doesn't even own the clip he owns a digital copy of a clip that 1. Another amount of people who buy on this app own. 2. The NBA still owns. 3. Sports channels who air highlights still own.
4. The internet still owns.
And now thanks to me anybody who wants it on the coli owns

:troll:

You gotta be a true Gump to buy into this bullshyt

:mjlol:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
This is a finessin of a finessa.
The NBA which owns the rights to all NbA video has trouble profiting off the fact that every clip from every game is out there, finesses some company to pay for certain clips and to put their stamp on it, then that company finesses herbs into thinking that clip is special and offer it for sell at exorbitant prices even tho that clip is out there for free :wow:
This is how the rich stay rich.

The mindset of someone who bought this....

Seems like an herb to me :mjlol:
nikkas put a graphic overlay on a highlight and dude thinks it automatically has value :heh:
He doesn't even own the clip he owns a digital copy of a clip that 1. Another amount of people who buy on this app own. 2. The NBA still owns. 3. Sports channels who air highlights still own.
4. The internet still owns.
And now thanks to me anybody who wants it on the coli owns
:troll:

You gotta be a true Gump to buy into this bullshyt

:mjlol:
A lot of :flabbynsick::flabbynsick::flabbynsick: in this post.

When the future staring you right in the face and you can't even see it :whew:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I guess it's a network effect, sort of like you own that clip on the platform.

So it's becomes "look at my collection versus your collection" on that platform only.

Imagine if every youtube highlight was owned by somebody and only they could let you see it if they wanted you to.
Yea. Then it would make sense. But they don’t own these highlights and they can’t control who sees it. It’s not the wu album

this would be like you buying a YouTube clip and they send you a copy of the download but keep the master and the clip online and gives access to everyone else

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Actually this is just like trading cards. I just can’t believe nerds are doing this still and now don’t even care to not get a physical copy

A photographer takes a pic of Lebron dunking in a game. The NBA owns that photo. They can put it on a poster. A greeting card. A shirt. Put the club on YouTube. Whatever. Or a trading card. Nerd goes and buys it for $10 and he has a card. Yea his man can go get the same card. His mom can see it on sportscenter. Or his brother can watch it online. But that card is 1 of 5000 and it’s worth $50000

Well now you can do the same thing. But the card is now a mp4 of a dunk, instead of a card. The same people who would pay $50000 for a lebron rookie that has no real value but a pic on a paper..... are the same ones paying 50000 for a Lebron dunk on a file

It’s weird but now I get it

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
no because when you have a card you have a physical item ...there are only so many in circulation so your buddy can’t swing by with a replica ...there were only so many made

video clips are everywhere ....the “signature” is hypebeast talk ...owning rare physical items it’s what creates value

videos and content pieces are only valuable when you own the rights to them otherwise you just have a YouTube clip with a “signature”
You sounding real :flabbynsick: right now.

it's not a rare item because it's physical. It's rare because of who created it and stamped it as an authentic collectible (the NBA did). That's what makes it valuable. Not just the fact that it's physical. Just apply the same logic to digital

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
That’s exactly it. Part of the basic idea of the blockchain is you can now mint and certify things as the original or only one. It cannot be copied etc.

When you said an email, what’s really happening is the data is being copied from your end and pasted in a sense to the other end. With block chain you have a self regulated system that would just send the only copy across.

Part of the big push with blockchain is it would destroy the middle man in so many industries not just banking. Imagine a music copywriter system that wasn’t tied up into these big Orgs or Labels but belonged to whoever submitted it to the chain? And each time that song or record was accessed and played money went right to the original creator.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

Zack Guzman

·Senior Writer
Sat, February 13, 2021, 9:41 AM·4 min read

Blockchain startup Dapper Labs turned heads when it signed a deal with the National Basketball League more than a year ago to let fans buy collectible video moments from games. Now, it’s proving to be a genius idea with more than $50 million in sales coming through its NBA Top Shot platform in just the last 30 days.

As a simple explainer, the platform allows for something akin to verifiable video trading cards: The NBA selects the best moments from games and then Dapper Labs verifies how many it wants to publish on its blockchain before selling those moments in so-called “digital packs” that fans can buy on its platform just as fans would buy a pack of trading cards.

Each digital pack can sell for $9 to $230 depending on the scarcity level or the star power of the players included. After buying a pack, a fan can store the collectible moments in a digital wallet to potentially sell them later for a profit. Extremely viral moments have already resold on NBA Top Shot for close to $100,000, including one dunk from Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James that was traded for more than $71,000.

“At the simplest level it’s like trading cards: people open packs [and] trade cards with their friends in the marketplace,” Dapper Labs CEO Roham Gharegozlou explained in a Yahoo Finance Live interview. “Because they are digital, it’s pretty much instant compared to postal mail. The marketplace and all the trading history is fully transparent.”

After launching its public beta in October, Gharegozlou said the platform has grown so fast it saw $50 million worth of trading activity in just the last 30 days. That’s even more impressive when you consider the platform still has fewer than 50,000 users. Other video cards featuring plays from other NBA players like New Orleans Pelicans star Zion Williamson have re-sold for $100,000. The majority of others cost under $50. But the NBA could just be the start.

More broadly, NBA Top Shot is an exciting and perhaps easier to understand example of a use case that uniquely leverages blockchain’s advantages. Specifically when it comes to memorabilia, there are obvious benefits that stem from a public ledger that can immediately confirm a given digital card is authentic and display its prior history. Everything is uniquely tracked on Dapper Labs’ underlying Flow blockchain, which spent years in development following an earlier experiment called CryptoKitties that let users buy, sell, and trade virtual cats. That same tech gets a little more exciting when you swap out virtual cats with real plays from real NBA games everyone is already watching, but other projects built on the same chain will likely come next.

“Blockchains are public computers,” Gharegozlou explained. “They are infrastructure that you pay to use in the form of a token rather than paying dollars to Amazon or Google to run your operations. That’s what’s happening behind-the-scenes: A user is coming with a credit card, you can come with bitcoin, you can come with any currency you want to come with, but every transaction is being powered by the Flow blockchain, every asset is being authenticated and secured by the Flow blockchain.”

For now, Dapper Labs is focusing on making sure NBA Top Shot continues to expand smoothly, working out the kinks and updating where needed. It’s worked with an impressive slate of partners to gamify the front-facing action specifically for NBA fans, while it’s behind-the-scenes blockchain powers digital card after digital card swap.

“You don’t need to know that in order to play NBA Top Shot. There’s nothing about cryptocurrency, it’s about basketball. The crypto technology is simply what enables the software to exist,” Gharegozlou said.

Dapper Labs has raised more than $50 million from its list of investors which include Coinbase Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz. The company has also signed a deal with UFC to create a platform similar to what it launched for the NBA. But Gharegozlou says he’s most excited about what developers might want to build next with the blockchain Dapper Labs has proven out.

“The Flow blockchain is basically a decentralized computer. You can program anything on top of it,” he said. “Its going to be interesting to see what the community of developers comes up with in the comings years.”

Zack Guzman is an anchor for Yahoo Finance Live as well as a senior writer covering entrepreneurship, cannabis, startups, and breaking news at Yahoo Finance. Follow him on Twitter @zGuz.

where can i buy stocks?

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
threw some loose change at it once i saw this thread and it's steadily climbing since, with an official backing from the NBA will be hard for this to fail :yeshrug: