Things you noticed about your parents as adults

prime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The heights
I love my dad but he should talk to a therapist he is still hurt and damaged from his childhood i always wonder why he gets so defensive when you have a different view on life then he does but the more I hear about his childhood the more I understand I always thought he was a narcissist but he really just hurt from his childhood still :mjcry:

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
That I didn't deserve the mom I got for all the stupid shyt I did as a kid. I read stories about kids being beaten and whooped for no reason, and I'm amazed at the patience she had with me as a teen. Proud to say that I have never gotten into serious trouble because of her.:mjcry:
Real shyt.

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps
For all the faults my parents have, I would never insult/disrespect them. The fact that I’m alive, can fend for myself and not a piece of shyt, is a testament to their parenthood.

No it's not. There are kids out there who were beaten, molested and raped by their parents who are alive, can fend for themselves, are not pieces of shyt, and are even financially successful.

You got where you are because you overcame your weaknesses, including many weaknesses that were instilled in you by assertive parents.

It sounds like your self esteem isn't where it should be. If you internalized all that "you are where you are because of ME" BS you were told by your mom seek a therapist. I mean no disrespect by that.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love my dad but he should talk to a therapist he is still hurt and damaged from his childhood i always wonder why he gets so defensive when you have a different view on life then he does but the more I hear about his childhood the more I understand I always thought he was a narcissist but he really just hurt from his childhood still :mjcry:

I would say that holds true for both my folks as well but bcuz of the times they grew up in, they feel it’s “better” to keep that type of stuff buried rather than have honest/open conversations…again it goes back to defensive/outdated coping mechanisms

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps

It's because he genuinely feels frightened of ever being wrong. Things happened to him and whatever environment he grew up in, it was not an environment where you can make a mistake or get something wrong and still be treated with love and care. It was an environment where making a mistake or getting something wrong was unsafe.

Yall should try therapy together and explore the history and the science behind his behavior. He will benefit.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Mom was at times on some too progressive shyt

Idk about my dad but he was a nerd that came up in the 60s
Probably has a lot of trauma

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Both my parents didn't graduate high school .. pops killed his step dad @13 was locked up till 21

They live in a multimillion $, home in palm springs CA

How ? . I'm still n the dark
Your dad a kingpin or a high level illegal manager

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No it's not. There are kids out there who were beaten, molested and raped by their parents who are alive, can fend for themselves, are not pieces of shyt, and are even financially successful.

You got where you are because you overcame your weaknesses, including many weaknesses that were instilled in you by assertive parents.

It sounds like your self esteem isn't where it should be. If you internalized all that "you are where you are because of ME" BS you were told by your mom seek a therapist. I mean no disrespect by that.

I won’t say whether or not this necessarily applies to him bcuz I don’t know him or his relationship with HIS parent(s) but it absolutely does apply to a lot of ppl…and I saw this mentality instilled in young folks I taught whose mothers and/or fathers definitively weren’t shyt

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps

I sense a lot of projection from this post. Sorry you didn’t have the same stable household I did. See how easy it is to make assumptions about someone you don’t know?

On the one hand, you say those who become successful in spite of their dysfunctional homes, did it due to self determination. Ergo, according to your logic, parenting is ineffective because a child’s fate is predetermined?

Make it make sense.

I am the person I am today because of the principles and hard work ethic my parents instilled in me. My parents have never had to pat themselves on the back for their parenting, I’ll happily pat it for them. They gave me the tools and I built from that.

I will always be indebted to my parents because I see so many shytty ones. I won the lottery having my mom and dad and I’ll never be ashamed to say it, despite what self esteem issues you assume I have.

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
Realized that while my mom only rarely said I love you or showed me affection, she showed her love for me in different ways. Two of my fondest memories are her building me bunk beds from scratch. I’m not talking about some IKEA shyt either. She got limber and screws and bolts and built that shyt from the ground up. The other is one day when I was about 5 I “found” some Atari games under a chair (:flabbynsick:) and she said she didn’t know where they came from but since I found them they were mine :russ:

SupaDupaFresh

Superstar
Daps
That I didn't deserve the mom I got for all the stupid shyt I did as a kid. I read stories about kids being beaten and whooped for no reason, and I'm amazed at the patience she had with me as a teen. Proud to say that I have never gotten into serious trouble because of her.:mjcry:

It sounds like you had an amazing mother who was willing to do just that little bit of extra groindwork of parenting. Talking to you and connecting with you when you didn't get things quite right instead of slapping you around and demeaning you to the ground.

Perhaps she even went completely out here way to ignore the advice of her friends, family, neighbors and other in taking an approach to parenting that felt right to her.

Many of us, especially in the black community, were not so lucky.

God bless her.