Things you noticed about your parents as adults

Pitentmf

Pro
Daps
wow, y'all got deep in here. Years ago, found out mom had abandonment issues and is a hopeless romantic. The outcome from that was a parent that will quickly drop me off so that she can hang with whoever she's with at the time. That also means I will always come second to the man in her life. It took a long time to get over it but I grew up being the opposite, was taught independence from an early age and it drives me to this day. Now, whenever we are together I'm showing her new experiences (things the men in her life never did).

My dad still has childhood traumas to the point that there's no reasoning with him. He's never wrong, lacks accountability and doesn't bother to hear your side of the argument. I handle him in doses.

Marezzy

RIP my Nikka Zooboomafo 🕊️11-20-2014🕊️
Daps
Reppin
Dallas,Tx
As soon as I started watching my niece and nephew for weekends shyt just clicked to me. I got whippings not for being bad just being a kid and you are frustrated with life so you release it on my back. I mean like it’s a day you was looking for a reason to do it. Also alot of slave mentality in parenting in the 40s to 90s can’t tell about nowadays.

Aquarius Snake

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They dealt with a lot of disrespect to climb to the top of their fields being black in white spaces. I tried to be like them early on in life and grew to resent white people’s coded talk or blatant disrespect in corporate settings. Unlike them, I’ve stunted my career growth due to my lack of tolerance for frat boy behavior. I get why they did it and I appreciate that they sacrificed so I could even have the luxury of choosing.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
All y’all in this thread tombout “cac” this and “cac” that just because people are venting their feelings are :hhh:

Y’all suffer from that same parent worship shyt they is prevalent in dysfunctional families. Crazy shyt is every last one of y’all prolly had abusive/fukked up parents that drilled that worship/they can do no wrong shyt in y’all heads that got y’all taking offense to people venting about their parents as if they’re talking about yours :picard:

The very fact that y’all call it “cac” shyt to have any criticism of your parents and not worship them for doing the bare minimum a parent is supposed to do like provide food clothing and shelter just further proves how parent worship is worst in the black community.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As soon as I started watching my niece and nephew for weekends shyt just clicked to me. I got whippings not for being bad just being a kid and you are frustrated with life so you release it on my back. I mean like it’s a day you was looking for a reason to do it. Also alot of slave mentality in parenting in the 40s to 90s can’t tell about nowadays.

bruh tell me about it…teaching made me realized how short-tempered and irrational my folks were…on the flip-side I feel like a lot of parents today go to bat a little too hard for their kids even in instances when their kids are CLEARLY in the wrong…I respect backing up your kids and giving them the benefit of the doubt as opposed to the teacher/adult is “always right” but not to a fault smh

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps

Christianity was basically a Middle Eastern/Northern African phenomenon and basically seen as a weird cult until Constantine converted the Roman Empire around 300AD.

Before that point Christians were seen as weirdos who got their asses beat all over Rome, so most people were like:scusthov:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Christianity was basically a Middle Eastern/Northern African phenomenon and basically seen as a weird cult until Constantine converted the Roman Empire around 300AD.

Before that point Christians were seen as weirdos who got their asses beat all over Rome, so most people were like:scusthov:

are Middle Easterners caucasian? are Jews caucasian?

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
1. Don't get married to an emotional redneck who wasn't ready to bare a biracial child
2. Don't cheat on your redneck wife with another woman (my mom)
2b. Don't mess with married men
3. Don't be bankrupt (father)
4. Don't have too many things on your plate it's hard to pay attention to your children

It is what it is, I was never sexually abused, berated or beaten just sometimes we have to look back and why certain things are.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
1. Don't get married to an emotional redneck who wasn't ready to bare a biracial child
2. Don't cheat on your redneck wife with another woman (my mom)
2b. Don't mess with married men
3. Don't be bankrupt (father)
4. Don't have too many things on your plate it's hard to pay attention to your children

It is what it is, I was never sexually abused, berated or beaten just sometimes we have to look back and why certain things are.

Damn, this nikka's a walking "Maury" episode:heh:

Marezzy

RIP my Nikka Zooboomafo 🕊️11-20-2014🕊️
Daps
Reppin
Dallas,Tx

Someone dapped my comment so I found this tread again. Since writing that comment I now have a 2 year old son. All I’m trying to do is let his childhood be better than mines. Not the “you get to drive but in my day I had to walk” type of shyt. Throwing it in your face that you have it better.

It’s tough brehs because it makes you look at yourself. The power over another person’s life is not for everyone. Having children is a gift. The thought of raising my child and they not talking to me when they become a fully grown adult makes my stomach churn. I have to be better than the generation before me