• <5-11

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
FLOWERY BRANCH — The Falcons, in the name of competition, continue to move around players along the offensive line.

Chris Chester, who was signed this offseason after being released by Washington, worked as the first-team right guard, in place of Jon Asamoah, on Monday.

“Chester, we’ve moved him into that role some,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “(James) Stone some at the (left) guard. He’s looked good. (Joe) Hawley and (Mike) Person back and forth at the center. But Chris is one that has really jumped out to us in terms of his quickness and power.”

ccompton@ajc.com
073115 FLOWERY BRANCH: Falcons head coach Dan Quinn says he was pleased with the first day of practice at training camp on Friday, July 31, 2015, in Flowery Branch. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com
Quinn and his staff has not set the offensive line, which will need to work in unison in the outside zone blocking system.

“We always knew Mike could be a swing guy between guard and center,” Quinn said. “Then (Ryan) Schraeder and (Jake) Matthews at the tackles, that’s kind of staying entrenched. There is still a lot going on with the inside there, but Chester is certainly one that has jumped out for sure.”

Quinn doesn’t seem to be a rush to set the offensive line.

“We are still looking for the combinations,” Quinn said. “It will change. We are still trying to find the roles for the guys. It’s an important one for us to get it right. We’ll still keep battling going through and the games are also a part of that evaluation, too.”

Quinn would not say that Asamoah has fallen behind in the competition.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say fallen behind,” Quinn said. “I think the battle is still wide open for him. Jon is a terrific competitor. He had it for awhile. Chester is up there for awhile. We’ve also moved guys from left guard to right guard who can play inside as well. He’s someone that we’re totally counting on as well, Jon.”

Asamoah, 27, was signed to a five-year, $22.5 million contract during free agency in 2014.

Chester, 32, was signed to a one-year, $2.8 million contract on May 29.

Asamoah played 966 snaps and gave up two sacks, three hits and 21 hurries last season. He was the 23rd rated guard of the group who played 50 percent or more of their team’s offensive snaps, according to profootballfocus.com.

Chester has started 111 of 137 games for the Ravens and Redskins. Chester was snapped up after being released by Washington.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
This isn't about any particular position on the Oline, its about the unit as a whole being very shaky.

Matt will never say it but who the fukk can he trust out there to block for him right now? Hawley is the only one and he's coming off a injury and is still not fully healed.

I don't like the approach they took to ultimately keeping our franchise QB off his back. We got 3 scat backs right now who don't seem to be able to stay healthy enough to believe that our running game will keep teams from sending extra men to sack Ryan.

Bottom line, the FO took a cheap approach to addressing one of the most important functions of football. Protecting the QB

We got questions but Matt Ryan's health throughout a season should not be one of them after what we've seen the last 2 seasons.
I can't disagree but just my $0.2:

Hawley trustworthy? :heh:

Coleman is a bigger back at 6'1 205.

Keep in mind that the OC likes to move the pocket. I don't see a lot of pure 5-7 step drops this season especially because of the OL. Deep shots to Quintorris will come off play action.

I wouldn't say they are playing it cheap. When was the last high paid OL in a zone block system? Could they have made better decisions? Possibly,

Hollywood Co

Primetime Reppin
Daps
Reppin
Eastside Atl -
I can't disagree but just my $0.2:

Hawley trustworthy? :heh:

Coleman is a bigger back at 6'1 205.

Keep in mind that the OC likes to move the pocket. I don't see a lot of pure 5-7 step drops this season especially because of the OL. Deep shots to Quintorris will come off play action.

I wouldn't say they are playing it cheap. When was the last high paid OL in a zone block system? Could they have made better decisions? Possibly,

That's my point, there's not one lineman the quarterback can truly trust. That's a problem to me.

The zone scheme will definitely make an impact but hopefully the preseason will answer some of my questions about this offense upfront

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
That's my point, there's not one lineman the quarterback can truly trust. That's a problem to me.

The zone scheme will definitely make an impact but hopefully the preseason will answer some of my questions about this offense upfront
I hear you. Just based on scheme I'm not overly concerned.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Justin Hardy excelled on Friday. He has such a good combination of speed and reliability as a receiver. He looked particularly good on some deep routes, including what was essentially the game-winning touchdown at the end of the evening.

The GOAT :blessed:
I'm really excited about this kid. He made some really great catches at FNL and impressed me. I think he steps in for Harry right away and optimistically he starts stepping into Roddy's role.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Bottom line, the FO took a cheap approach to addressing one of the most important functions of football. Protecting the QB

We got questions but Matt Ryan's health throughout a season should not be one of them after what we've seen the last 2 seasons.
They've given the online top priority the past few years so I wouldn't say they've taken the cheap approach. It's just been a mix of bad draft picks and unfortunate injuries. I would like to just see one season with the whole line healthy to assess their abilities fairly as well as Matt and the running game. I firmly believe Matt is a top 5 QB with a competent line and running game.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
This is the first time in about 15 years ive gone into a Falcons season with no expectations and not reading anything about the offseason. Dont know how the new coach is doing in camp or how the offense looks and i kinda like it.

Sly Cookin

based
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I hear you. Just based on scheme I'm not overly concerned.
I agree. Its not as big as a concern as last yr. Our tackles are in place. The middle or our line reportedly looks as good as our secondary does right now. With stone, hawley, and chester. Asamoah and Person is good depth.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This is the first time in about 15 years ive gone into a Falcons season with no expectations and not reading anything about the offseason. Dont know how the new coach is doing in camp or how the offense looks and i kinda like it.
I was saying this exact thing to my boys last week. I didn't realize all the positional changes we made until I recently looked at the roster. I'm usually a know it all when it comes to the coaches, scheme, and roster. It's s nice change going in fresh.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
There isn't much to lean at this point, pretty vanilla information.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Falcons LB Brooks Reed slowed by hip strain
By D. Orlando Ledbetter - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons linebacker Brooks Reed, who struggled with a groin injury over the offseason, was held back in practice with a hip injury on Monday.

“He had a strain so we held (him back),” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “He participated some (practice). It was more precautionary.”

+
CURTIS COMPTON
061615 FLOWERY BRANCH: Falcons linebacker Brooks Reed stretches as the team opens a 3 day mini-camp open to the public on ... Read More
Reed, who played four seasons with the Houston Texans, signed a five-year, $22 million contract, with $9 million guaranteed with the Falcons in free agency.

In addition to Reed, defensive end Cliff Matthews (ankle) and defensive tackle Ricky Heimuli (hip) did not practice on Monday.

“Both of them were held out today,” Quinn said. “They’ll be back hopefully soon.”

Falcons
More Falcons »

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons had perhaps their best practice of training camp on Tuesday.

There were no fumbles and the sloppiness that has marked some of the operation of the offense was not present during the mostly half-speed practice in pads.

The Falcons hustling between drills on Tuesday, (By D. Orlando Ledbetter/DLedbetter@ajc.com)

“We had a special category today involving no-huddle,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “I thought that was a good start of us. There was some more move-the-ball situations. At the end, we were working against one another. It was a good day. It was a good work day. A good camp day.”

Here are five observations from practice:

1. HESTER RETURNS: Wide receiver Devin Hester, who had a toe injury, returned to practice and was back catching kicks and running routes.
  2. FLOYD WAIVED/INJURED: The Falcons reached an injury settlement with safety Terrell Floyd, an undrafted rookie free agent from Louisville, and waived him on Tuesday. Floyd, 5-foot-10 and 203 pounds, was originally signed after the 2015 NFL draft. Floyd made 145 tackles (117 solo) with six tackles for loss, two sacks, eight interceptions, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and 14 passes defensed during his career with the Cardinals. He was listed as the fourth free safety on the depth chart released by the team on Monday behind Ricardo Allen, Sean Baker and Robenson Therezie.
  3. OFFENSE SHARP: Running backs Antone Smith, Terron Ward, Jerome Smith and Michael Ford ran the stretch plays with some authority. “It felt like there was real discipline at the line of scrimmage,” Quin said. “Sometimes you can feel the guys coming out of the huddle. I don’t know what the completion percentage was, but I bet you it was high.”
  4. THE BATTLE CONTINUES: Wide receiver Leonard Hankerson put a double move of rookie cornerback Jalen Collins and got open deep for a touchdown pass from Matt Ryan. Defensive back coach Marquand Manuel quickly went over to offer coaching tips.
  5. SPEED ON SPEED: Falcons linebacker Allen Bradford continued to show his speed in practice. While playing weakside linebacker, he raced out to his left to meet running back Michael Ford at the corner. Ford is a sub 4.4 runner.