The Xbox Series X/S Official Thread

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
What Velocity Architecture does is beforehand, you'd have to move all of a texture into ram even though you only one a portion of it. Now, you can pinpoint the specific portion of the texture and only move that. Now you can simply find the needle in the haystack every single time. Previously, you had to take the entire haystack into ram. There is more programming in the pipeline needed for Microsoft's solution but the end result should still be the same.
Noted.:ehh:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Because of the technology, it is why Microsoft is moving towards proprietary SSDs this gen. They need to guarantee a performance delta with the speed.
Yea even tho the Series X doesn't have as much SSD as the PS5 which is SUPER fast.... I believe the Series X has enough SSD to load shyt fast. In my opinion.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Yea even tho the Series X doesn't have as much SSD as the PS5 which is SUPER fast.... I believe the Series X has enough SSD to load shyt fast. In my opinion.

It has what it needs. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

Why fast storage changes everything
The specs on this page represent only the tiniest fraction of the potential of the storage solution Microsoft has engineered for the next generation. In last year's Project Scarlett E3 teaser, Jason Ronald - partner director of project management at Xbox - described how the SSD could be used as 'virtual memory', a teaser of sorts that only begins to hint at the functionality Microsoft has built into its system.

On the hardware level, the custom NVMe drive is very, very different to any other kind of SSD you've seen before. It's shorter, for starters, presenting more like a memory card of old. It's also rather heavy, likely down to the solid metal construction that acts as a heat sink that was to handle silicon that consumes 3.8 watts of power. Many PC SSDs 'fade' in performance terms as they heat up - and similar to the CPU and GPU clocks, this simply wasn't acceptable to Microsoft, who believe that consistent performance across the board is a must for the design of their consoles.
The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"Plus it has other benefits," enthuses Andrew Goossen. "It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core. So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."

Asset streaming is taken to the next level, but Microsoft wasn't finished there. Last-gen, we enjoyed a 16x increase in system memory, but this time it's a mere 2x - or just 50 per cent extra if we consider Xbox One X as the baseline. In addition to drawing more heavily upon storage to make up the shortfall, Microsoft began a process of optimising how memory is actually used, with some startling improvements.

"We observed that typically, only a small percentage of memory loaded by games was ever accessed," reveals Goossen. "This wastage comes principally from the textures. Textures are universally the biggest consumers of memory for games. However, only a fraction of the memory for each texture is typically accessed by the GPU during the scene. For example, the largest mip of a 4K texture is eight megabytes and often more, but typically only a small portion of that mip is visible in the scene and so only that small portion really needs to be read by the GPU."

In depth discussion about microsoft's streaming sole.

Even in reading what the people at beyond3d who are well more versed in this stuff than I am and what they are saying in their thread about the demo, they are theorizing that the limitations of this engine will be computing power since this engine scales a variety of devices and 'generations.' The more powerful the gpu, the better this would look. In the case of the next generation consoles, both consoles with have more than enough speed to keep their gpus busy at all times.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Microsoft Expected to Go All out During July’s Xbox Series X Event, Insider Says; 343i Confirms Halo Infinite Will Be Present
Microsoft Expected to Go All out During July’s Xbox Series X Event, Insider Says; 343i Confirms Halo Infinite Will Be Present

This better not be :duck: because we heard this same story many times word to @Rekkapryde Microsoft will say they're going "all out" in games and then it'd just be a bunch of stupid indie games no one asked for, Halo and Forza and then niche games NO ONE asked for like Sea of Thieves.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

This better not be :duck: because we heard this same story many times word to @Rekkapryde Microsoft will say they're going "all out" in games and then it'd just be a bunch of stupid indie games no one asked for, Halo and Forza and then niche games NO ONE asked for like Sea of Thieves.

I 100% believe they'll show a lot of Halo Infinite. Possibly an XB1 multi player beta. Thing is that it's still crossgen and I wonder what it would be like without having to run on XB1 current gen consoles .

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I 100% believe they'll show a lot of Halo Infinite. Possibly an XB1 multi player beta. Thing is that it's still crossgen and I wonder what it would be like without having to run on XB1 current gen consoles .
Technically, being cross gen means nothing. It all depends on how much work they want to put in.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

France? Priority list? Reading this article....
“Now, will we have enough … This is always a big question, and this is where we enter into discussions for us, and it is my role, to favor France over to other countries. Show that we have the community, that we have the market, that there are huge expectations around the Xbox Series X in France and that we need units to cover this demand.”

There's a demand for the Series X in France like that?