The cost of waiting til next gen to jump in

:hubie:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
DX12 'Agility' SDK

One of the big announcements coming from Game Stack Live is a new SDK for DirectX12, dubbed the 'Agility' SDK.

With the new Agility SDK, Microsoft is aiming to solve a pain point for developers who say adopting new DirectX12 graphics features is cumbersome. With the Agility SDK, Microsoft will claim that the new features are easier to adopt, won't interrupt or impact existing games, and come with more reliable bug fixes.

Essentially, the Agility SDK allows developers to light up new features for users with compatible systems, namely an updated version of Windows 10 or an Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console, without impacting users who aren't on the "correct" operating system. The DX12 Agility SDK also comes with a new shader model, dubbed Shader Model 6.6.

Using this new SDK, you can expect games to get graphics optimizations more rapidly since developers won't have to wait for user adoption to kick in before moving to the new feature sets. Some developers like 343 Industries, Turn 10, and Epic Games have already been testing out the new SDK, which should become available for more developers around the time of the show.

Microsoft will also demonstrate a range of existing and new DirectX 12 features, including toolsets for HDR support across Windows 10 and Xbox. Microsoft will also discuss DirectStorage for PC, which brings Xbox's standardized data streaming techniques from the NVME SSD on the new-gen consoles to PC. DirectStorage has implications for game development beyond the loading of games, including things like rapid decompression of assets, reducing file sizes, or using storage for RAM-like rapid streaming of data, resulting in game worlds that are "more expansive and detailed than ever."

Xbox's Game Stack Live event preview: DX12 'Agility' SDK, new Xbox dev features, cloud gaming, and much more | Windows Central

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I'm sure y'all have seen me mention the idea of this being a battle of attrition now. Anyways, Colin Moriarty, formerly of IGN, now with I love XOXO or something, I just know it's a playstation podcast, lays out why he thinks Microsoft is putting Sony is a bad position.

Go to 2:22.30 to start listening

He thinks that Jim Ryan is on the clock. Whenever investors talk Microsoft finances, they never mention Xbox but when investors talk Sony, all they care about is playstation and due to that, Microsoft can throw billions into Gamepass to make it work till it works self sustainably.

That's the ballgame right there.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sure y'all have seen me mention the idea of this being a battle of attrition now. Anyways, Colin Moriarty, formerly of IGN, now with I love XOXO or something, I just know it's a playstation podcast, lays out why he thinks Microsoft is putting Sony is a bad position.

Go to 2:22.30 to start listening

He thinks that Jim Ryan is on the clock. Whenever investors talk Microsoft finances, they never mention Xbox but when investors talk Sony, all they care about is playstation and due to that, Microsoft can throw billions into Gamepass to make it work till it works self sustainably.

That's the ballgame right there.

Thanks for the summary. Not giving Moriarty a view.