The Xbox Series X/S Official Thread

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
It's not native 8k. It's not even native 4k. It's upscaled. It's an image that is generated at usually 1080p then using interpolation to generate a 4k output if you have a 4k television. The card in even this new xbox isn't powerful enough to generate a native 4k image. You would need something as powerful as a 1080 at minimum. Then you start talking about ray tracing and you going to need something like a 2070 at minimum, since that is only in 200 series cards. Those cards by themselves are as expensive or more expensive than an entire console. However AMD is making the card for this xbox console. Do you know what AMD does for ray tracing right now? Nothing. They have a "plan" for ray tracing. Only nvidia cards do actual ray tracing on games right now, and that is very few games. Ray tracing is a performance killer as well so I can't wait to see what corners and/or trickery they use to even get it to function on a gpu made for a console.

Rather you care about this is up to you. You could just straight up not care about it, and be fine with the fact that all you know is when you play a game on a 4k tv it says it is 4k and it says hdr is enabled (hdr is a whole other bag of trickery when it comes to consoles as well). Or you could care a lot and feel like you are getting ripped off because microsoft is telling you that you are getting a 4k gaming system but in reality the gpu in it doesn't have the power to generate a 4k image so you are in fact NOT getting a 4k machine. If it's not native 4k...it's not 4k.

Consoles are in a pretty weird place now. Each new console is supposed to be a generational leap. Native 4k would be a generational leap. But...native 4k takes A LOT of gpu power, and the cards that can do them are just to expensive...you throw in other hardware in the console and you are going to be spending around 800 to 900 dollars. You know what you might as well do if you are spending that type of money to play games in native 4k? You might as well buy a computer because it can do way more things than just play games at 4k.

I just don't even see the point of this console. Other than console gamers not being up on what hardware can and can't do, or maybe not caring. Actually, maybe that is the point. Maybe the whole point is that microsoft feels like the guy who bought the xbox one x that doesn't have the hardware to do native 4k, will also by this console that also doesn't have the hardware to do native 4k...

I tend to buy every xbox playstation and nintendo console that comes out...but i'm probably skipping the next playstation and xbox until they have the ability to native 4k...

Maybe in like 2025 or some shyt...
So you're telling me that the Xbox Series X is NOT native 4k?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So you're telling me that the Xbox Series X is NOT native 4k?

Not unless they going to charge you 800 or up. Which they won't.

Just look up what the minimum type of card you need to game at native 4k. Then look at the price. Now put that card in an xbox. Now also add the price of a cpu, of a blu ray player, and ram, and a motherboard. Forget making a profit, how much you got to sell it for to minimize losses?

I am pretty sure the current xbox x that does "4k" is running like a budget rx 580 or something :russ:. I know when they released the specs for the xbox one x and i looked up that card the very first thing i saw in reviews was "don't try to game above 1080p on this performance will be terrible".

Don't listen to microsoft, or sony, or nintendo, tell you about how powerful their consoles are or all the stuff it can do. They are going to try and sell it to you, of course they are going to hype it up.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
OK we done here breh, I don’t think you know what a pet project is.

10 billion in revenue aka 10% of your company’s profit is not a pet project. Microsoft Hololens was a pet project.
I'm gonna need to see receipts on that. Last quarter the whole company did $33 billion in revenue Xbox isn't even it's own division anymore it's burred in the personal computing division with Windows.
FY20 Q1 - Press Releases - Investor Relations - Microsoft
Revenue in More Personal Computing was $11.1 billion and increased 4% (up 5% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:

· Windows OEM revenue increased 9% (up 9% in constant currency)

· Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 26% (up 29% in constant currency)

· Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 11% (up 13% in constant currency)

· Xbox content and services revenue was relatively unchanged (up 1% in constant currency)

· Surface revenue decreased 4% (down 2% in constant currency)
You really trying to tell me (in what ever unspecified time frame you're talking, what a year?) Xbox itself did more in revenue than the whole personal computing division did in a quarter? You trying to say Xbox is responsible for more of that revenue than Windows? Lastly revenue isn't profit.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Nintendo will likely not make another home console. They'll probably continue to make portables that can connect and be played on the TV as well.

There's a very real chance that inside of the next 7-8 years one of if not both Sony and Microsoft abandon home consoles for streaming at the end of the next generation. It would probably be Microsoft before Sony. I can easily see Microsoft going PC and xCloud only and them saying if you need the physical box go with a PC and build it yourself.

Microsoft is already going that route...first party titles like halo and gears are on steam...i expect more first party titles to be on steam...

I think eventually Sony goes the same route but only because microsoft starts crushing them in sales of games since they can now double dip in the pc market... Halo infinite is going to sell big to people who only have a xbox console...it is going to sell big to people who only have a pc...Sony is going to see that and have to ask themselves "how many more copies of god of war or uncharted can we sell if we put it on pc"...

Rockstar gave these dudes the blueprint...set records releasing rdr 2 on console...set records releasing rdr 2 on pc...

It seems inevitable...and its pretty much free money...

Nobody really wants to own hardware anymore...I would not be surprised if this is microsoft last console for awhile if not altogether...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Microsoft is already going that route...first party titles like halo and gears are on steam...i expect more first party titles to be on steam...

I think eventually Sony goes the same route but only because microsoft starts crushing them in sales of games since they can now double dip in the pc market... Halo infinite is going to sell big to people who only have a xbox console...it is going to sell big to people who only have a pc...Sony is going to see that and have to ask themselves "how many more copies of god of war or uncharted can we sell if we put it on pc"...

Rockstar gave these dudes the blueprint...set records releasing rdr 2 on console...set records releasing rdr 2 on pc...

It seems inevitable...and its pretty much free money...

Nobody really wants to own hardware anymore...I would not be surprised if this is microsoft last console for awhile if not altogether...
I just feel like Microsoft as a company has no real attachment to making consoles long term. They very well could stop making them in that time frame and just go streaming and tell you to get a PC if you want a physical box. Sony has that attachment but they made the purchases and laid the groundwork so that if it all goes streaming they have a response.

I think some here let their personal attachment to game consoles and distaste for game streaming blind them from the reality that game streaming gives game companies more control and likely less overhead which would drive up profits. It's the best case scenario for gaming companies. I like both physical games and game consoles and I know that the days for both are numbered.

In the future gaming will be a service and not physical products. It's inevitable.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I'm gonna need to see receipts on that. Last quarter the whole company did $33 billion in revenue Xbox isn't even it's own division anymore it's burred in the personal computing division with Windows.
FY20 Q1 - Press Releases - Investor Relations - Microsoft

You really trying to tell me (in what ever unspecified time frame you're talking, what a year?) Xbox itself did more in revenue than the whole personal computing division did in a quarter? You trying to say Xbox is responsible for more of that revenue than Windows? Lastly revenue isn't profit.

Bruh stop because now you’re cherry picking.

That’s Q1 of 2020. Overall Xbox gaming division increased revenue by 14% for the YEAR. As for that 10 billion that’s revenue Xbox brought in for 2018. I’m not digging into the balance sheets to figure out their costs and profits to keep this going. I’m not gonna argue over billions with you.

This whole conversation was whether or not Xbox was a pet project. Xbox is has been heavily invested to for 25 years, had this been a pet project it would have been shut down years ago.

You still have yet to refute my original statement, “there’s no reason to abandon consoles if they are profitable.”

The Delorean a pet project
Battlefield Earth a pet project
Lawbreakers a Pet Project
WCW a pet project
Colgate Kitchen Entrees a pet project

Xbox not a pet project

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This whole conversation was whether or not Xbox was a pet project. Xbox is has been heavily invested to for 25 years, had this been a pet project it would have been shut down years ago.

You still have yet to refute my original statement, “there’s no reason to abandon consoles if they are profitable.”
Years ago Xbox was a traditional console that had exclusives that could only be played on it and that Microsoft specifically developed games for only.

Today Xbox exclusive games are available on a subscription platform, on Steam, on Windows store, and even on the Nintendo Switch. Soon they will be available on xCloud. The groundwork is being laid that Microsoft games won't be tied to a specific platform. The investment is being made in xCloud.

It's expensive for them to take cutting edge hardware and package it and possibly sell it at a loss for a few years so they can profit later on it when they can just drop the hardware and sell software to gamers directly beyond borders of them having to buy hardware. The possible customer base of such a platform grows exponentially.

Our next hardware generation it going to likely take us to 2028. It is feasible for them to make that transition then. If Microsoft has no vested interest in selling hardware to gamers because they drop home consoles all together then they could sell their games to PlayStation gamers.

Google has some of the ideas right it's just they're far too early to that party.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I see some stuff online and some stuff in here about the price of this new Xbox.

It will be from $499-$599USD. $499 if we are lucky.

Dont expect any of these new systems to launch at PS4s $399.

As a reference, the Xbox One X was considered a good value (when comparrd to off the shelf parts) when it came out in 2017 for $499.

This new machine will be more advanced for its time.

I think it will be $549.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's not native 8k. It's not even native 4k. It's upscaled. It's an image that is generated at usually 1080p then using interpolation to generate a 4k output if you have a 4k television. The card in even this new xbox isn't powerful enough to generate a native 4k image. You would need something as powerful as a 1080 at minimum. Then you start talking about ray tracing and you going to need something like a 2070 at minimum, since that is only in 200 series cards. Those cards by themselves are as expensive or more expensive than an entire console. However AMD is making the card for this xbox console. Do you know what AMD does for ray tracing right now? Nothing. They have a "plan" for ray tracing. Only nvidia cards do actual ray tracing on games right now, and that is very few games. Ray tracing is a performance killer as well so I can't wait to see what corners and/or trickery they use to even get it to function on a gpu made for a console.

Rather you care about this is up to you. You could just straight up not care about it, and be fine with the fact that all you know is when you play a game on a 4k tv it says it is 4k and it says hdr is enabled (hdr is a whole other bag of trickery when it comes to consoles as well). Or you could care a lot and feel like you are getting ripped off because microsoft is telling you that you are getting a 4k gaming system but in reality the gpu in it doesn't have the power to generate a 4k image so you are in fact NOT getting a 4k machine. If it's not native 4k...it's not 4k.

Consoles are in a pretty weird place now. Each new console is supposed to be a generational leap. Native 4k would be a generational leap. But...native 4k takes A LOT of gpu power, and the cards that can do them are just to expensive...you throw in other hardware in the console and you are going to be spending around 800 to 900 dollars. You know what you might as well do if you are spending that type of money to play games in native 4k? You might as well buy a computer because it can do way more things than just play games at 4k.

I just don't even see the point of this console. Other than console gamers not being up on what hardware can and can't do, or maybe not caring. Actually, maybe that is the point. Maybe the whole point is that microsoft feels like the guy who bought the xbox one x that doesn't have the hardware to do native 4k, will also by this console that also doesn't have the hardware to do native 4k...

I tend to buy every xbox playstation and nintendo console that comes out...but i'm probably skipping the next playstation and xbox until they have the ability to native 4k...

Maybe in like 2025 or some shyt...
Type up a bunch of nonsense brehs :mjlol: