"The X-Files" limited series/Season 10 thread (4/20/17 update: Renewed for season 11)

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Looks like someone else is behind the wheel other than Chris Carter. And that better be a flashback of cancer man, I have heard of fantasy but surviving a nuke to the face is a stretch

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Looks like someone else is behind the wheel other than Chris Carter. And that better be a flashback of cancer man, I have heard of fantasy but surviving a nuke to the face is a stretch

This is the same show that cloned Mulder's sister so many times it was hard to keep track of....explaining his "death" is gonna be light work for them breh.

Fred.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Surprised ppl are amped for this though this was the OG "lost". Wasn't everyones main gripe with it was that it ended up leaving a load of questions unanswered? :heh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Surprised ppl are amped for this though this was the OG "lost". Wasn't everyones main gripe with it was that it ended up leaving a load of questions unanswered? :heh:

Nah.

"Lost" never tried to make sense. They were throwing stuff at the wall from day 1.

"X-Files" makes perfect sense for about 6 seasons. The show could've ended then, with everything wrapped up.

The problem is it was doing "Thriller" numbers so it got extended for 3 more seasons. That's when they started pulling shyt out of their ass because most of the questions had already been answered in seasons 1-6.

A short run like this should be fine.

Fred.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Nah.

"Lost" never tried to make sense. They were throwing stuff at the wall from day 1.

"X-Files" makes perfect sense for about 6 seasons. The show could've ended then, with everything wrapped up.

The problem is it was doing "Thriller" numbers so it got extended for 3 more seasons. That's when they started pulling shyt out of their ass because most of the questions had already been answered in seasons 1-6.

A short run like this should be fine.

Fred.

Looking back, I actually think the "Monster of the Week" episodes were what X-Files were really about. Then, a couple of times per year (season premiere, sweeps weeks, season finales) they'd come out with "mytharc" episodes to try to tie some of the disconnected monsters together. It FELT like it made sense at the time, but when you look back there really were pulling it out their ass. E.g. early on you had disconnected episodes with radiation aliens, traditional "Gray" aliens, oil worm aliens, and shape-shifters. Then when they came out with the "Fight the Future" movie (which I loved), they basically said "All these aliens are just different stages of life of the same type of alien, who grows inside a human host like a Xenomorph." But there's no way you can tell me that the separate alien types weren't just originally separate MOtWs.

In other words, it really WAS the OG Lost. And I'm not really mad at either show that they fooled me at the time. Before Netflix streaming became popular, nobody really expected these shows to hold up to binge watching.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Looking back, I actually think the "Monster of the Week" episodes were what X-Files were really about. Then, a couple of times per year (season premiere, sweeps weeks, season finales) they'd come out with "mytharc" episodes to try to tie some of the disconnected monsters together. It FELT like it made sense at the time, but when you look back there really were pulling it out their ass. E.g. early on you had disconnected episodes with radiation aliens, traditional "Gray" aliens, oil worm aliens, and shape-shifters. Then when they came out with the "Fight the Future" movie (which I loved), they basically said "All these aliens are just different stages of life of the same type of alien, who grows inside a human host like a Xenomorph" But there's no way you can tell me that the separate alien types weren't just originally separate MOtWs.

In other words, it really WAS the OG Lost. And I'm not really mad at either show that they fooled me at the time. Before Netflix streaming became popular, nobody really expected these shows to hold up to binge watching.

Eh....

Nah man. Look at the bolded of what you said.

I'm not saying "X-Files" had everything planned out but they made an effort to take disparate pieces and unite them into one story arc.

"Lost" never had the intention of explaining anything. David Fury left after season 1 and basically told people "we just sit in a room and come up with shyt to make fans bug out, it's never going to make any sense". Which is why it ended how it did.

If you end "X-Files" after season 6, which was the original plan, most of the major story arcs are tied up nicely.

Fred.