The Woman King debuts at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I could be wrong but Morocco was a world power because it was the largest slave trader in Africa.

A true study of slavery in Africa, how it was handled on the continent, is needed. Slavery on the eastside of the Atlantic was very different than it was on the westside.

To be clear, this doesn't excuse what Dahomey did though.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Make a movie about John Horse and the Black Seminoles or The Haitian Revolution. But I know Hollywood won't touch that history.
:sas2:
They made a Nat Turner movie, so anything is possible. I never thought in a million years hollywood would finance a Nat Turner let alone show it in theaters

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually, awhile back I got in some debate with somebody living over there telling me the history isn't correct. He didn't offer anything up just said this was passed down orally/word of mouth. Problem is it's been documented, there are artifacts, the country doesn't deny the participation etc.

He didn't like this part:

Suppression of the slave trade (1852-1880)​

Two major changes occurred in the 1840s and 1850s which significantly altered politics in Dahomey. First, the British who had been a major purchaser of slaves began taking an active stance in abolishing the slave trade in the 1830s. They sent multiple diplomatic parties to Ghezo to try and convince him to end Dahomey’s participation in the trade, all of these were rebuffed with Ghezo worried of the political consequences of ending such trade.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Actually, awhile back I got in some debate with somebody living over there telling me the history isn't correct. He didn't offer anything up just said this was passed down orally/word of mouth. Problem is it's been documented, there are artifacts, the country doesn't deny the participation etc.

Two major changes occurred in the 1840s and 1850s which significantly altered politics in Dahomey. First, the British who had been a major purchaser of slaves began taking an active stance in abolishing the slave trade in the 1830s. They sent multiple diplomatic parties to Ghezo to try and convince him to end Dahomey’s participation in the trade, all of these were rebuffed with Ghezo worried of the political consequences of ending such trade.

The British had their own agenda they act like those cacs were trying to save Africans by abolishing slavery

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The British had their own agenda they act like those cacs were trying to save Africans by abolishing slavery

The British used their abolition of the slave trade to make sure the Royal Navy was the dominant navy in the Atlantic. It was part of the ideological basis for it.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Two things stopped Dahomey. The American Civil War and the European Kings decision to invade and colonize Africa.

Once the American Civil War started Dahomey had no other place to sell people. That and the English and American blockade of West Africa ended Dahomey's reign of terror and they could buy no more arms from the Europeans because the Europeans were planning on invading and didn’t want to face well armed opposition.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
They made a Nat Turner movie, so anything is possible. I never thought in a million years hollywood would finance a Nat Turner let alone show it in theaters
Black women destroyed the film because they hated Nate Parker. And black people didn't want to watch it anyway because apparently movies about rebelling against cacs bother them.

Which is why a Haitian Revolution movie even though it would be historic would be shredded and/or ignored by American Blacks.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Apparently the movie addresses exactly that part of Dahomey's history :jbhmm: Now who to trust?

That's what happens when you sanitize the trailer and try to make it look like some pro-black flick :yeshrug: Could have thrown a line in there showing what's what

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The British only wanted to stop the export of slaves from Africa, because they knew that they were going to invade and colonize Africa so they wanted to keep slaves in Africa so that England would have the manpower to exploit the resources. Otherwise they would have a labor shortage and have to import people from India to do the manual labor like thy had to do in other parts of Africa. So England had ulterior economic motives to stop the slave trade. It was called colonialism.

Last edited: