The Witcher (Remake) | In Development

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I have the HD version with Ico in my backlog,
but if it plays the same without any major changes I'd call it a remaster. Ducktales remastered added cut scenes dialogue and some bonus content but it still had the word "remastered" on its box art.

To me anything that isn't significantly different from the predecessor is a remaster. If TLOU part 1 had the improved combat from TLOU 2 or new enemy types or boss battles or just changed the puzzles or environment in some way or by adding few new set pieces then the term remake might be warranted.

FF7 = remake
Crash bandicoot N sanity = remaster
Halo master chief collection = remaster
Super mario allstars = remaster
Metroid Samus returns 3DS = remake
MGS Twin Snakes = remake
Re2 = remake

Aight so your definition of a remaster makes more sense now.

Traditional definition of a remaster is higher FPS + higher resolution, and a remake is when they start introducing new assets, animations, mechanics, etc.

I wouldve argued Halo MCC (especially Halo 1) and Crash are remakes since theyre introducing entirely new assets into an old game and just re-did everything aesthetically, but based on your definition these games are remasters since they are still fundamentally the same game with no new added content.

TLOU Part 1 is similar in that aspect, but it also fulfils some of the conditions you defined for a game to be a remake (not all of them tho).

Its still a remaster by your definition, but they have done things like introduce the stalkers from Part 2 in the game, they brought in the listening system from Part 2, they brought in the work benches from Part 2, they changed the shooting system and AI to where the game is much more difficult than the original and Part 2 (I played Part 1 and Part 2 back to back on Survivor this year since I never got the platinum for Part 2), new animations, and a lot of new detail and art in levels. But again, still a remaster with some upgrades by your definition because theres no new content in the story, but its a remake by the understood definition.

And FF7 was not a remake, cmon fam its been years since the plot twists now. Its a sequel.

Daps
Aight so your definition of a remaster makes more sense now.

Traditional definition of a remaster is higher FPS + higher resolution, and a remake is when they start introducing new assets, animations, mechanics, etc.

I wouldve argued Halo MCC (especially Halo 1) and Crash are remakes since theyre introducing entirely new assets into an old game and just re-did everything aesthetically, but based on your definition these games are remasters since they are still fundamentally the same game with no new added content.

TLOU Part 1 is similar in that aspect, but it also fulfils some of the conditions you defined for a game to be a remake (not all of them tho).

Its still a remaster by your definition, but they have done things like introduce the stalkers from Part 2 in the game, they brought in the listening system from Part 2, they brought in the work benches from Part 2, they changed the shooting system and AI to where the game is much more difficult than the original and Part 2 (I played Part 1 and Part 2 back to back on Survivor this year since I never got the platinum for Part 2), new animations, and a lot of new detail and art in levels. But again, still a remaster with some upgrades by your definition because theres no new content in the story, but its a remake by the understood definition.

And FF7 was not a remake, cmon fam its been years since the plot twists now. Its a sequel.
They might need to create a slider for the definition of remake starting from port to complete reimagining

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Yeah, the first game was too rough for me to get into. Played witcher 2 and 3 though. The first one could use a remake.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:jbhmm:Who did you side with in that game Iorveth or Roche :mjpls:
I preferred Iorveth, but i felt like based on the witcher 3, which i played first, that Roche was the canon choice, he treats you like an old friend in the next game regardless of the path. While Iorveth was cut from the third game entirely.
I tried to play the game based on what i thought book Geralt and book ciri would do. For Example in the book Ciri always says "i never no lose my way." that was actually a dialog choice for her in the game at one point.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
I preferred Iorveth, but i felt like based on the witcher 3, which i played first, that Roche was the canon choice, he treats you like an old friend in the next game regardless of the path. While Iorveth was cut from the third game entirely.
I tried to play the game based on what i thought book Geralt and book ciri would do. For Example in the book Ciri always says "i never no lose my way." that was actually a dialog choice for her in the game at one point.
Roche is a war criminal but thats the bro. Once you've played his path it's hard to pick Iorveth over him on subsequent playthroughs.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I played a bit of original. They give you a nude collectible card whenever you have sex. It’s strange.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange

This is one remake that I'm really looking forward to. I love the first game, and I've dusted it off a few times over the years. I can appreciate a good point and click game. But because it's point and click, this is going to be a legit remake. I'm also wondering will there be any other major changes? Tris clearly took the place of Yennifer. The little boy with strange and powerful magical powers, taken in by Tris and Geralt, is obviously a Ciri placeholder. It would be cool to at least have Geralt mention how similar that situation is so similar to that of Yen and Ciri.