The Wire is not very good

Daps
They actually did that recently in Canada and as far as I know it works. But it wasn't some under-the-radar shyt:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/11/world/americas/wus-canada-drug-safe-haven/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: rss/cnn_world (RSS: World)

A real life Hamsterdam off the books like in "The Wire" would never work. That shyt would fall apart in a couple days. Still made for good TV though. :manny:

Fred.

I mean, it fell apart in the show too. :manny:

Wether it lasted a few days or a few weeks would depend on how far the governing body of the city had its head up its as....the whole point of the show was that B-more (and too many inner cities) had its head way too far up its ass.

yo moms

drunk
Daps
the only good thing about the wire is that dyke pig bytch getting shot :blessed:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I mean, it fell apart in the show too. :manny:

Wether it lasted a few days or a few weeks would depend on how far the governing body of the city had its head up its as....the whole point of the show was that B-more (and too many inner cities) had its head way too far up its ass.
Hamsterdamn happened breh

Ask anybody from bmore whos old enough to remember and they'll tell you

People need to remember there was no Internet or social media back then so unless you lived here how would you know.Its not like the police would ever come out and say "yea we let those nikkas sell drugs" but there used to be a unwritten rule that if you wasnt violent then they wouldn't bother you and it went on like that for years until around 91-92 when the knockas(plain clothes narcs) starting coming out heavy

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It fell off with Season 5. It wasn't even that dumb ass serial killer plot. The whole season was rushed and it showed. The acting, plots, and new characters were poorly written. David Simon had a grudge against the Baltimore Sun and his personal issues ruined that season. Should of just stopped it at Season 4.
:wtf:
david simon used to work for the baltimore sun. he knew first hand the kind of stuff that went on there, but that had nothing to do with the season feeling "rushed." hbo made him cut the season down to 10 episodes. he had no choice. it was either deal w/ the 10 episodes, or have no real ending to the show. i'd say with what he had to work with, he did a pretty damn good job.
this is how important/impressive this show was:
"Attorney General Eric Holder recently made a public plea for another season of "The Wire," and now David Simon says he'll do it."
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...13_1_scrap-drugs-attorney-general-eric-holder

Daps

People need to remember there was no Internet or social media back then so unless you lived here how would you know.Its not like the police would ever come out and say "yea we let those nikkas sell drugs" but there used to be a unwritten rule that if you wasnt violent then they wouldn't bother you and it went on like that for years until around 91-92 when the knockas(plain clothes narcs) starting coming out heavy

You saying there was a designated place we're dealing/using was, effectively, legal, or that there was an unwritten policy not to mess with non-violent dealers in the city of Baltimore?

It reads like you're saying the latter. If so, that's not Hamsterdam. And the show alludes to that change in policy and how it bogged down "real police work".

(Regardless, I think what's being questioned is whether a Hamsterdam could exist today, or when the show aired, in the cell phone/internet era, if not the social media era)

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You saying there was a designated place we're dealing/using was, effectively, legal, or that there was an unwritten policy not to mess with non-violent dealers in the city of Baltimore?

It reads like you're saying the latter. If so, that's not Hamsterdam. And the show alludes to that change in policy and how it bogged down "real police work".

(Regardless, I think what's being questioned is whether a Hamsterdam could exist today, or when the show aired, in the cell phone/internet era, if not the social media era)
No a hamesterdamn couldnt happen today and the Wire is based on shyt that happened in the late 80s/early 90s...its not based in todays world

And no hamsterdam wasnt a a designated place it was basically city wide(in all hood areas).of course they just made it a couple neighborhoods for the tv show

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Season 4 of the wire made every nikka in our dorm cut the campus shenanigans short.shyt was like the NBA finals with 15 -20 nikkas gathered in the lounge watchin that shyt like our lives depended on it...shyt was amazing to watch :wow:

Daps
No a hamesterdamn couldnt happen today and the Wire is based on shyt that happened in the late 80s/early 90s...its not based in todays world

And no hamsterdam wasnt a a designated place it was basically city wide(in all hood areas).of course they just made it a couple neighborhoods for the tv show

The Wire is set in today's time. It uses past events as inspirations, but it's still set in the present.

I think the show's creators did believe Amsterdam could work today....on a very temporary basis. Amsterdam being confined to a few neighborhoods isn't something they did just to make it an easier story to tell/depict...it's essential to the concept of Amsterdam. The policy you're describing is the motivation for Colvin implementing Amsterdam, I believe he says this explicitly.

But Amsterdam is more than just legalizing peaceful dealing. In Colvin's eyes, drug dealing is a plague not only draining the police but also the neighborhoods (in terms of violence, but also in terms of the addicts and the effects it has on the children who have to grow up immersed in that). That's why he is sure to keep the zones in abandoned areas (actually moving the few remaining tenants). Also, with everything concentrated, now all kinds of other social experiments can be employed for treatment (free syringes, addiction help, etc)

(Amsterdam = Hamsterdam, but I'm Swyping so I don't feel like going back to change all those occurrences or adding it to my dictionary)

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:ohhh: did ya'll no the dude omar was with when he jumped out the window is the actual real life stickup kid omar is based off of?
in fact a lot of the real life counteparts to some of the characters have cameos or bit roles in the show.
I know im late but that shyt was :salute: worthy imo.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Unless you can give me some kinda proof I gotta call :duck:

Of course police are going to look the other way if drug dealers/addicts aren't bothering anyone, that's happened all across America. Hamsterdam was drug dealers/addicts rounded up and placed in a specific area to continue to deal drugs basically legally with police supervision, totally off the books, for the sole purpose of "juking the stats". You're trying to tell me that happened and there is zero proof of it anywhere, outside of your word?

Hell, David Simon himself said Hamsterdam was the most unrealistic plot line they had, even less realistic than the serial killer:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/david-simon,14209/

And when we did "Hamsterdam," which is as improbable a story as you could do… This conspiracy of McNulty and Freamon requires the complicity of two or three people at most, in knowing all of it. But legalizing drugs in a district like the Western… The Western has 150 cops. When you're making fun of police commanders and politicians and school superintendents, it's all fun and games. If at any moment you're going to do anything in the same tonality involving journalists, look out!

Fred.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Breh I really dont care if you believe it happened or not

It happened...if you choose not to believe me then :manny:

Like I said this was over 20 years ago so of course youre not gonna find links and nobody is dumb enough to actually admit it