The 'What Are You Playing?' 2017 Thread

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
went back to Styx: Shards of Darkness while I wait for PC issues to get ironed out in Nier. Styx is a pretty good stealth game, and better than the first IMO

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
4. Horizon (PS4)

Positives
  • Pretty much everything - they looked at a load of other similar games, took what worked and put it all together beautifully
  • Combat system, variety of weapons, variety of enemies and how all that comes together is the big highlight
  • Looks incredible for an open world game
  • Highly developed, well thought out interesting story
  • Some good characters, like Sylens and the lead.
  • The game length is perfect
  • The world itself is distinctive in open world games
  • They split the side quests (the good stuff) and the errands (the fetch quests) up, I like that.
Negatives
  • Not much but to nitpick:
  • The transition between game and custcene is jarring at best
  • Some poor face animations
  • Dialogue is mediocre
  • Meridian is cool but not on the level of Novigrad, or for that matter, other places in various RPGs
  • Human AI and combat is meh
  • 100/100 max for inventory is too small, selling things in bulk takes too long.
  • Lots of farming for plants, health etc that they should just remove as it quickly becomes a bore
  • Not a complaint per se, but a big hunt MP thing would be cool.
  • It does everything extremely well, without exactly doing anything new.
Rating: 9+/10.

Last edited:

Los!

I AM THE AWAKENING
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Mass Effect Andromeda
mass_effect_andromeda_wide_art_1.jpg
:blessed:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
5. Final Fantasy XV

Positives:

• The characters are decent by FF standards, even if the dialogue is trash
  • The cities have that unique, detailed FF design, even if there isn't much to do in them.
  • Being able to play old FF soundtracks in the car is school
  • Big enemies are really well designed, at least aesthetically
  • The idea of the combat is good...the execution isn't though (see below)
  • Some of the dungeons, particularly early game, are well thought out, short but interesting
  • It has some memorable moments, particularly the Ifrit fight
Negatives
  • Nonsensical, horribly edited story
  • Combat is a mess imo - difficult to dodge and difficult to see what enemies are going to do. Getting hit and not knowing why isn't fun
  • Some of the battles are awful - the Leviathan one is a technical mess for example
  • Moving around in the open world can be tedious
  • The side quests are pure filler, add nothing to the game whatsoever. Really terrible by anyone's standards, including FF's own standards
Score: 6/10

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
5. Final Fantasy XV

Positives:

• The characters are decent by FF standards, even if the dialogue is trash
  • The cities have that unique, detailed FF design, even if there isn't much to do in them.
  • Being able to play old FF soundtracks in the car is school
  • Big enemies are really well designed, at least aesthetically
  • The idea of the combat is good...the execution isn't though (see below)
  • Some of the dungeons, particularly early game, are well thought out, short but interesting
  • It has some memorable moments, particularly the Ifrit fight
Negatives
  • Nonsensical, horribly edited story
  • Combat is a mess imo - difficult to dodge and difficult to see what enemies are going to do. Getting hit and not knowing why isn't fun
  • Some of the battles are awful - the Leviathan one is a technical mess for example
  • Moving around in the open world can be tedious
  • The side quests are pure filler, add nothing to the game whatsoever. Really terrible by anyone's standards, including FF's own standards
Score: 6/10
I never finished FF15 and I might never. Its beautiful, but there are so many design decisions that are just baffling. The combat is just a fukking mess too. FF13, in all of its iterations, shyt all over it. Even the 'auto-battle' hur hur stuff was a massive step up (and its not like you could auto-battle past anything worth killing later in the game anyways).

Trust me breh, and anyone else looking for a JRPG, Tales of Berseria is better at EVERYTHING and would be a game of the year candidate in another year. And its only going to be getting cheaper soon too. Amazing value on the way. The only thing FF15 does better is the music. Berseria has a top 5 cast in JRPGs, awesome anti-hero story that will punch you in the guy more than once, top-tier combat system, and will keep you entertained throughout between the skills, side stuff, and skits.

Can't recommend that game enough. I'd have posted in the thread more but I was too busy having a blast playing the game to worry about other people's thoughts on it.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Started playing Shadow of Mordor on PS4 the other day. Good stuff, although I'm getting my ass kicked going against some of these war chiefs and captains. :russ: Need more intel to come up with a winning strategy. :jbhmm:

Also, This Is The Police is on sale at Steam for $7.49. Saw someone on here mention it the other month. Played about an hour of it today. I'm liking it. Digging the simple art design and film noir-ish vibes.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
6. Nier: Automata (PS4)

Positives:

• The story is detailed, quirky and full of little emotional touches. One of the best this gen, if not the best. Also doesn't feature huge amounts of exposition (cough Horizon cough). I particularly liked Taro's treatment of robots, and how they imitate and copy humans in different ways.
  • The characters are pretty good. Pascal and 9S are particularly memorable.
  • The soundtrack is one of the best this gen.
  • The combat is polished and hard to criticise - the dodge is pretty lenient but it needs to be as a lot is going on. Lots of different pod upgrades give variety.
  • The boss battles are good, although not on the level of Bloodborne or Nioh, for example.
  • The shooting and hacking segments are really fun.
Negatives
  • Some framerate problems.
  • The second playthrough as 9S suffers from a lot of repetition.
  • I did a few side quests - seemed to be the standard fetch quest stuff, pretty uninteresting.
  • Open world itself is empty, although it doesn't really affect the game as its easily played in a linear fashion.
  • The combat is good, but not as satisfying/interesting as Nioh or Horizon imo. Possibly because its lacking in any real tactical aspects.
  • Grpahically its pretty mediocre.
Rating: 8.5