The Whale (Dir. by Darren Aronofsky, Brendan Frasier as a 600-Pound Man)

grendelprime

Suits 2 for $99
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Caleb is bringing his sister, Sadie, on the Eli Manning Show, if anyone is interested.

God damned kids…..

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
My brief review. First minor spoilers. And no, I'm not spoiler tagging it, so be forewarned.

Overall: Strictly performance wise, it's all good acting. But the ending sucked to me. Didn't do research. I only saw it because I knew it would be Oscar/Gold Globe nom. First, I had no idea the main character wasn't from Harlem. And they make that quite clear in the first 5 minutes :dame: The 'genda is pushed hard in this movie (pause.) And reading up on the writer. He comes from Idaho and from a evangelical family. Then came out. So alot of this movie is the typical, the church don't accept gays (just saw this same thing yesterday in Best Man, last chapters). But outside of that, Fraiser did a good job painting him as a sympathetic, hopeless, character. His daughter, Ellie, aka Max from Stranger Things, kills this. Not sure if she's nominated for anything but she should.

At times Brendan gets annoying with his crying. But with his daughter, she conveyed her pain well. Other characters like his friend, Liz, who takes care him does a good job as well. As well as a Christian missionary in whom he interacts with.

The movie does a good unraveling the mysteries of why he is the way he is. The relationship with his daughter, etc. It's also good at making it plain to see how disgusted people are at his fat appearance, how he's disgusted at his appearance. And I suspect it's also a metaphor at the way some treat gay people as well.

Now, the negatives. His fat suit, cgi, or whatever it is, sucks. It's so low budget looking where it takes away from the film to me. The ending of this film is abrupt. It ends like "That's it? Are yall serious" And as I said earlier, the 'genda. It's just so obvious and redundant in films now. We get it. You hate the church because you feel the church hates you.

But again, good performances but a decent movie. But that ending could be why it's low on RT.

Last edited:

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
:beli:

I started booing once the credits started rolling. I appreciate a slow burn, but this movie culminating in one of the most lackluster finales that I’ve seen… The payoff did not justify the buildup at all imo.

This whole time I was waiting for a hook or twist that would give the narrative some extra depth but it never came. What you see is what you get, morbidly obese man tries to re-connect with daughter before he eats himself to death.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Saw it last night
shyt was really good

Sad but good

The way the essay his daughter wrote that basically says she relates to Ahab wanting to kill the whale
And how she always hated her father and wanted to kill
Him....

And that essay being the words the father wanted to be the last words he heard every time he thought he was dying

Dude literally set out his death to fulfill her wish and not spend any of his money as a final gift

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Enjoyed the flick. Didn't really find it overly sad, man was pathetic.

but yeah like folk have said
that ending.. all that build up for that :francis:

Can definitely see Brendan winning an award for this

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
I enjoyed the movie

Just felt it went way overboard with the whole against religions thing

Brendan Frasier did a great job and so did everyone else especially his friend/nurse. She was really good.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This was solid. Ending was pretty on-brand for an Aronofsky film. Not sure why others are surprised unless this was their first time watching his work. And by all means, Fraser should take that Oscar home with him but that’s where it stops with this film.

The part that hit for me the most was seeing Charlie’s eyes glow up as he’s desperately trying to connect with his daughter and she just would not budge.:mjcry:

This was something that was also touched up on in The Wrestler between Mickey Rourke and Evan Rachel Wood’s characters. That film was a bigger gut-punch than here. I think I’m desensitized to Darren’s cynicism at this point.

It was brutal how Charlie would be having moments of joy only for his heart to cycle back on some :birdman::ufdup: ish.

Hong Chau came a long way from Inherent Vice. Please continue giving her more roles. Sink’s teen angst got a bit ridiculous but managed to connect at the very end to land that emotional payoff.