The Whale (Dir. by Darren Aronofsky, Brendan Frasier as a 600-Pound Man)

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I got around to watching it this today. Certain parts of the movie kept it from being a classic to me but Overall Brenden Frasier's performance was excellent. His daughter performance was underwhelming and they made her too unlikeable and her rationale for what she became before she was introduced to the audience made no sense and was too over the top...

What I mean is the backstory was lazy and sloppy. I understand as a daughter that she was feeling abandoned but the real antagonist was the mom who was too embarrassed her hubby left for a man and wouldn't allow Charlie to see his daughter at all but got all the child support and extra money by Charlie's own admission.

Charlie was not a convicted felon, child molester or did drugs. Yes he was gay but I don't see how the courts would rule he him to pay child support but not see his daughter if he was no physical threat to cause harm to her. He was also sitting on this money (100k+) but couldn't get a lawyer all these years because he was too depressed dealing with the loss of his boyfriend to have a relationship with his daughter until he knew he was going to die. That in a nutshell is the premise of the movie.

The best part of the movie to me was the boy's character Thomas who said the church sent him and he was going on in every scene about how everyone can go to heaven, Charlie can be saved, etc...

Turns out he was a thief, liar, hypocrite and did drugs and when Charlie confronted him and told him how he and his boyfriend met, made love, etc.. Thomas couldn't handle it and basically told him he was really repulsed by him. He never wanted fix Charlie, just wanted to repair his own ego. The director flawlessly captured false prophets in our society who push religion when they have bigger demons than the ones they are trying to "save"...

Overall a very solid movie and Oscar worthy given the competition that year but it's not something I would want to watch again.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I got around to watching it this today. Certain parts of the movie kept it from being a classic to me but Overall Brenden Frasier's performance was excellent. His daughter performance was underwhelming and they made her too unlikeable and her rationale for what she became before she was introduced to the audience made no sense and was too over the top...

What I mean is the backstory was lazy and sloppy. I understand as a daughter that she was feeling abandoned but the real antagonist was the mom who was too embarrassed her hubby left for a man and wouldn't allow Charlie to see his daughter at all but got all the child support and extra money by Charlie's own admission.

Charlie was not a convicted felon, child molester or did drugs. Yes he was gay but I don't see how the courts would rule he him to pay child support but not see his daughter if he was no physical threat to cause harm to her. He was also sitting on this money (100k+) but couldn't get a lawyer all these years because he was too depressed dealing with the loss of his boyfriend to have a relationship with his daughter until he knew he was going to die. That in a nutshell is the premise of the movie.

The best part of the movie to me was the boy's character Thomas who said the church sent him and he was going on in every scene about how everyone can go to heaven, Charlie can be saved, etc...

Turns out he was a thief, liar, hypocrite and did drugs and when Charlie confronted him and told him how he and his boyfriend met, made love, etc.. Thomas couldn't handle it and basically told him he was really repulsed by him. He never wanted fix Charlie, just wanted to repair his own ego. The director flawlessly captured false prophets in our society who push religion when they have bigger demons than the ones they are trying to "save"...

Overall a very solid movie and Oscar worthy given the competition that year but it's not something I would want to watch again.
to me its just more post-modern cynical story telling.
there is nothing redeeming or interesting about Charlie.
There is nothing interesting or redeeming about his daughter, or thomas.
Everything that could have showed earnestness, in storytelling and story was removed to show a lack of imagination and nihlism of modern film.