The VHS Era Appreciation thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I used to go to Hollywood Video every Tuesday and rent 3-5 movies.

But I still feel I learned more about film in this day and age, browsing forums and film twitter sites and downloading the movies than I did back then.

I feel the exact opposite lol. I’ve learned more through podcast yeah but that’s a discussion where I have to listen. I learned a lot more from walking through aisles than any forum or social media in this day and age. Especially because the “internet” is filled with the same opinions and group mentality. That shyt doesn’t facilitate discussion as much as it facilitates dog piles. Whereas I could cop a movie without giving a shyt who liked it or hated it, watch it, form my own opinion and be good with that. And share it with my friends and see their reactions and then we’d discuss it. And those discussions were a lot different because it was face to face.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I feel the exact opposite lol. I’ve learned more through podcast yeah but that’s a discussion where I have to listen. I learned a lot more from walking through aisles than any forum or social media in this day and age. Especially because the “internet” is filled with the same opinions and group mentality. That shyt doesn’t facilitate discussion as much as it facilitates dog piles. Whereas I could cop a movie without giving a shyt who liked it or hated it, watch it, form my own opinion and be good with that. And share it with my friends and see their reactions and then we’d discuss it. And those discussions were a lot different because it was face to face.
I phrased that wrong. I meant I learned more about classic films in the internet era than I did just browsing the aisles.

Yea i definitely would say i learned more about films through podcasts too, but I mean the movies themselves. Back then I would just mainly stick to new releases or stuff that is canon, but I delved deeper into more obscure/indie/foreign type shyt in this day and age

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I phrased that wrong. I meant I learned more about classic films in the internet era than I did just browsing the aisles.

Yea i definitely would say i learned more about films through podcasts too, but I mean the movies themselves. Back then I would just mainly stick to new releases or stuff that is canon, but I delved deeper into more obscure/indie/foreign type shyt in this day and age

That makes sense. So I get why you feel that way. :salute:

But I devoured everything during that era. New. Old. Whatever. It didn’t matter. If the cover looked good or had actors I recognized, I wanted it. I think that’s what most of us are talking about in this thread. Most people I know who love that era don’t talk about the new releases. We talk about finding stuff we never thought we’d like. shyt I still remember walking by Halloween 3 every time I went to blockbuster and the cover scaring me every damn time and having it in my hand but figuring I couldn’t handle it lol. But it was the first time I knew of a Halloween 3 and knew Michael wasn’t in it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

:wow:

so much truth in this post...... :whew:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
THANK

YOU.

And those discussions were a lot different because it was face to face.
Repped.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
That makes sense. So I get why you feel that way. :salute:

But I devoured everything during that era. New. Old. Whatever. It didn’t matter. If the cover looked good or had actors I recognized, I wanted it. I think that’s what most of us are talking about in this thread. Most people I know who love that era don’t talk about the new releases. We talk about finding stuff we never thought we’d like. shyt I still remember walking by Halloween 3 every time I went to blockbuster and the cover scaring me every damn time and having it in my hand but figuring I couldn’t handle it lol. But it was the first time I knew of a Halloween 3 and knew Michael wasn’t in it.

That's how I used to be with CD's. The cover was dope? Buying it. The name caught me? Buying it.

And forget if someone I fukked with was on it. I had to be like 7 or 8 when Hard Knock Life dropped. Didn't even know hip-hop like that, but I was an X stan. Had me singing out, "Money, Cash, ," around my parents.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's how I used to be with CD's. The cover was dope? Buying it. The name caught me? Buying it.

And forget if someone I fukked with was on it. I had to be like 7 or 8 when Hard Knock Life dropped. Didn't even know hip-hop like that, but I was an X stan. Had me singing out, "Money, Cash, ," around my parents.

Damn you were 7 or 8 in 98? Making me feel old homie lol. I was 12

Zombi_Jeezus

Bad Hombre
Daps
Reppin
Wasted Talent
:ehh:
i think i cherished movies more back then, getting a movie for christmas id watch that tape like 50 times
think i spent the whole summer once watching free willy 2 on vhs and babysitters club with my sister :picard:, because its all we had

now i watch a movie once and moe than likely will never watch again

Lol I went through the same shyt but it was batman and who framed Roger rabbit.

Zombi_Jeezus

Bad Hombre
Daps
Reppin
Wasted Talent
When I was a kid, my friends and I would hit the horror aisle and dare each other to rent & watch the movies with the scariest looking boxes.

Man I used to go straight to the horror
aisle and look at all the cover art to see which one I wanted to pick before anything else. This VHS box will be burned in my memory till I die.

220px-Future-kill.jpg

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
aisle and look at all the cover art to see which one I wanted to pick before anything else. This VHS box will be burned in my memory till I die.

220px-Future-kill.jpg
The advent of streaming has pretty much killed cover art for movies and music. I think what we sometimes overlook is that cover art is indeed art. That cover that you posted would actually make a pretty dope poster, for example.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
The quality is shytty but I prefer watching older horror movies on vhs. That shytty fuzzy quaility actually enhanced the movies in some ways...

220px-Future-kill.jpg

Whenever my dad would rent me a Nintendo game, when he'd get to the check out he'd usually talk to the clerk for min....I'd go straight to the horror section and look at the boxes.. The Fright Night cover is still the GOAT to me.

the-10-best-80-s-horror-vhs-covers.jpg

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
What's weird is VHS blanks could go up to 8 hours, but a 3 hour flick would take up 2 tapes. :skip:

I still have boxes of my rasslin tapes. One day I plan on putting them on DVD. And by one day I'm sure means never. :francis:

LOL There was a button on the VCR that slows the recording down tho... the quality is shyttier but you get bout 8 hours of shyt. I had a ton of VHS tapes with 3-4 movies recorded on them.

Had tapes solely dedicated to music videos and shyt.. hours of rap videos rom Yo MTV raps and Rap City.