The VHS Era Appreciation thread

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Taking the tape off the bottom of a new video was satisfying as a bytch. Then they came out with that separate rewinder change up shyt.

That Jurassic Park though

:russ:

Imagine in that time. If your pop copped that VHS rewinder and came home like :jawalrus:" I just bought a vhs rewinder so we don't have to worry about it"

and we as kids be like
giphy.gif

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Credit to the PlayStation for usering in DVDs and BluRay.

DVD was far superior in 99. That was the fastest media transition ever, Imo. Too bad DVD wasn't put in and play... parents could never figure it out nor deal with menus. "Why can't I just press play & rewind?" Always had to go downstairs from my room to start movies on DVD middle school and high school...then explain over phone in college.

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
my dad use to record hella dubs we had a whole box full. Addams family, the little rascals, home alone 1 and 2, bebe kids, rookie of the year

when michael jackson thriller got recorded over :mjcry:

my cousin use to play megaman x on snes from start to finish and record the whole thing on tape

watchin coming to america the legit vhs at grandma's house tho:banderas:

Ninja turtles w/ the Pizza hut commercial at the beginning. :mjcry:

"making it great.:mjcry:"
tenor.gif

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
When I started to go to the video store and rent games/movies on my own and this f-cking big ass movie box for some reason was placed right on top of the shelf where the video games were...

ss%20experiment%20vhs%20front%20&%20back2.jpg

:mjlol:

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
You're taking me back, brehs. :mjcry:

I used to go to all of the local spots like Captain Video, Applause Video, all of those Mom and Pop video places before the Blockbuster takeover.

I remembered one video place that used to rent Nintendo consoles for the weekend.

My Uncle and I used to have marathon Super Mario playoffs.

Last edited:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Miss it because it was a part of my childhood. Every Friday pops would take us to blockbuster to rent movies and out to eat. So many years ago man. Have them shyts the entire weekend. Life really does go by. I have my 4 year old and his baby brother dude in 2 weeks. We will build out own memories but VHS tapes were definitely part of my childhood.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
The smell of the small video stores :banderas:.
Trying to sneak into the "adult " sections to look at the back of the packaging :noah:.

The excitement of the new releases section :ohlawd:.

All of those "women behind bars" movies

Womenbehindbarsvhs.jpg

9047802b86962361ee57223f9294a0e5--girl-guns-dormitory.jpg

Violence+In+A+Women%27s+Prison+DVD+copy.jpg

71EZ1SYE75L.gif

:takedat:
In the immortal words of Big Daddy Kane....AW YEAH!!!!!!!!

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Miss the b rated selection. Every thing had a release on VHS and there are plenty that never got a DVD upgrade much less blu-ray.
Don't miss the picture quality though