"the universe is listening; be careful what you say in it"

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
Just as soon as I posted the article about the LHC blowing its fuse, the issue has already been resolved.

LHC is Fixed, Restarting Awesome Physics Quest in Days

dnews-files-2015-03-lhc-670x440-150331-jpg.jpg

Good news for all you high-energy physics fans: the problem electrical short at one of the Large Hadron Collider’s electromagnets has been fixed, clearing the way for protons to begin zooming around the 17 mile ring as early as this weekend.

After a two year hiatus for a significant power upgrade, it was hoped that the LHC would start circulating particle beams last week. Unfortunately, an electrical short delayed the restart, prompting fears that the delay could suspend operations for weeks or even months while a solution was found.

But after troubleshooting the issue, a small piece of metal debris was found in a diode box — a component of the electromagnet’s safety system — triggering a short with the magnet’s power supply. The debris originated from the upgrade work.

According to Nature News, on Monday, engineers sent an electrical discharge through the problem circuit, burning away the metal debris.

“It’s a bit like deliberately blowing a fuse,” said Paul Collier, head of beams at CERN.

Today, after tests, engineers report that the fix has worked and now the short has cleared. There’s some more work that needs to be done before they can re-power the circuit again, but things are looking up. “We hope to be ready to take beam sometime during the weekend,” added Collier.

Sending an electrical discharge through the problem circuit prevented the need to warm up the cryogenic magnet and cool it back down again to 1.9 Kelvin (just above absolute zero) after the debris was manually removed. Such a procedure would have caused a lengthy delay.

Now we can start getting (re-)excited for the grand restart, kicking off the second run of the biggest and most powerful particle accelerator on the planet.

Run 2 will see proton beams blasting around the LHC at an energy of 6.5 TeV — providing collision energies of a whopping 13 TeV, nearly double the collision energy of the LHC’s first run. We are about to cross the threshold into a new regime for physics where there are high hopes for answering some of the biggest mysteries in modern science, including the origin of dark matter and the possibility of micro-black holes.

But perhaps the most exciting possibility is the LHC generating a signal we weren’t expecting, proving a glimpse into the truly exotic — perhaps triggering a revolution in our understanding of the universe.

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone here believe in this shyt like dark matter, parallel universes, string theory, etc?

Because frankly it's all mumbo jumbo bullshyt and an embarrassment to real physics
So.. Human science (our trying to comprehend and rationalize that which has been and always will be...) got all the answers and scientific theories should cease?

"Real physics." Smh. The earth being round was merely a theory to people with restraining thoughts such as these.

aaaaaaa

Banned
Daps
So.. Human science (our trying to comprehend and rationalize that which has been and always will be...) got all the answers and scientific theories should cease?

"Real physics." Smh. The earth being round was merely a theory to people with restraining thoughts such as these.

Real science stopped a while ago. What we're doing at is metaphysical juju magic.

Real science always came from observation first, theory second. Now we come up with convoluted theories and them try to hamfist observations to fit, throwing away all contrary evidence.

There is no observation or evidence for something like string theory. It's complete bollocks. It's mathematical mental mastrubation.

You should watch the youtube series The philosophical corruption of physics. I don't agree with everything the man says but he is right on this.

Issac newton basically invented the field pf physics with his revolutionary ideas, he did what no man has ever done because he stuck to deductive science. What we're doing now is more akin to platos cave. He would have some choice words to say about modern science

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Real science stopped a while ago. What we're doing at is metaphysical juju magic.

Real science always came from observation first, theory second. Now we come up with convoluted theories and them try to hamfist observations to fit, throwing away all contrary evidence.

There is no observation or evidence for something like string theory. It's complete bollocks. It's mathematical mental mastrubation.

You should watch the youtube series The philosophical corruption of physics. I don't agree with everything the man says but he is right on this.

Issac newton basically invented the field pf physics with his revolutionary ideas, he did what no man has ever done because he stuck to deductive science. What we're doing now is more akin to platos cave. He would have some choice words to say about modern science
I stopped reading once you said real science came from observation first, then theory second. Just stop lol. You don't define "real science" anyhow.

Peace

aaaaaaa

Banned
Daps
I stopped reading once you said real science came from observation first, then theory second. Just stop lol. You don't define "real science" anyhow.

Peace

That is real science. You make observations. You form hypothesis to explain you observations. You test those hypothesis.

Modern scientist are going straight to made up theories and m-branes and quantum strings. complete bullshyt.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
I know Russell Brand can rub some people the wrong way but I liked his thoughts about transcendental meditation. I've found it to be a huge positive in my life. Brand's comments about how he wished he meditated earlier in his life, changed and "squandered decades" of his life are powerful. I'm a believer that meditation and discipline can elevate people out of certain problems in their lives.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
The Meditation Practice That Makes You Nicer, Healthier And More Focused

Compassion is often presented as something you provide for others, but it can also be something you have for yourself.

According to new research, a compassion-infused meditation tradition may help you reap the benefits of more positive thinking and self-kindness. Simply named 'compassion meditation,' this type of mindfulness practice centers around replacing judgment with understanding.

itstimetobenicer4242015.jpg

The study, conducted at Standford University's Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education and recently published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, found that training in compassion meditation is effective in both helping people see themselves with more kindness, but also warding off distracting negative thoughts that can hurt a person's focus, health and well-being.

During compassion meditation training, individuals are taught to recognize suffering in themselves and others, and to wish for that suffering to be relieved. Unlike other forms of meditation, which may not have a specific object of focus, compassion meditation focuses on a specific person or object -- for instance, extending compassion towards a neutral person, then to a loved one, to oneself, and to all beings.

This difference in technique, the researchers wrote, "may lead to changes in mind-wandering that are different from what is observed with mindfulness training."

It's estimated that we spend roughly 50 percent of our lives in a state of mind-wandering, meaning that our attention is drifting to irrelevant thoughts. Excessive mind-wandering, which trends toward the negative, can contribute to impaired focus, unhappiness and even poor physical health, the study's authors notes.

For the study, 51 adult participants completed a nine-week compassion meditation program, during which they took weekly classes and meditated for 15-30 minutes daily.

At regular intervals over the course of the training, participants were asked if their minds had wandered away from whatever they were doing at the moment, and they were also asked about caring behaviors that they had performed towards themselves or others that day.

They found that the more the participants engaged in the meditation, the more effective they were in reducing mind-wandering to unpleasant topics and increasing mind-wandering to pleasant topics. There is some evidence that this type of mind-wandering, also known as positive-constructive daydreaming, enhances creativity and well-being.

And according to Emma Seppälä, associate director of the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education, meditating on compassion can also increase positive emotions, decreases chronic pain, activates empathy and even slow the aging process.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
With all the recent events (injustices, killings, economy), has anybody experienced an increased feeling of urgency to step it up? Maybe it's just reality setting in but now it feels like the time to step it up and set big plans into motion. I see a decent amount of people who have "shifted." Is that the same with you guys?

TheBeigeBomber

#Fukkery
Daps
With all the recent events (injustices, killings, economy), has anybody experienced an increased feeling of urgency to step it up? Maybe it's just reality setting in but now it feels like the time to step it up and set big plans into motion. I see a decent amount of people who have "shifted." Is that the same with you guys?

yes :lupe: i recently got a job and a car. :lupe:

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels

Absolutely. Me and everyone in my circle have been stepping it up.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
A positive attitude helps overall health

For decades now, we have known that our very thoughts affect our psychophysiology. Researchers have developed tests that can quickly analyze how our stressful thoughts lower physical indicators of our immune systems. Biofeedback has shown us how parts of our nervous system, that we used to think were under automatic control, can be influenced both positively and negatively by our thoughts and emotions.

Now the newly emerging field of positive psychology is showing us that we can influence not only our mental wellbeing, but our physical health as well. People with more positive outlooks, those with greater meaning and purpose who seek out and maintain greater social support, do in fact have much better overall health statistics than others.

What's even more exciting is the new information regarding how we all can attain better health, heal faster, affect the course of an illness and so on through developing more positivity in our lives. Creative and fascinating research is not so much discovering as it is validating that many mindfulness practices, mind-body techniques and cognitive restructuring methods do, indeed, have a health-enhancing effect.

A leading positive psychology researcher that I was honored to meet at The Art & Science of Health Promotion Conference this year is Dr. Barbara Fredrickson of The University of North Carolina. The extensive work she and her team shows us the value of positive emotions. "People tend to liken their emotions to the weather, viewing them as uncontrollable," says Fredrickson. "This research shows not only that our emotions are controllable, but also that we can take the reins of our daily emotions and steer ourselves toward better physical health." Fredrickson is known for her work that shows, when we can attain an average ratio of three positive thoughts to each negative thought, it drives a greater sense of happiness, well-being and health. Not advocating a Pollyanna approach to life's serious challenges, she stresses the need to face our problems and return to the reframing our experience in this positive way to approximate this three-to-one ratio.

One of the best effects of functioning with this ratio is that we become more attractive people to be around, and we tend to see the good in others. The result is that we have much more social support. Social isolation is a true health risk, correlated with every major health problem we know. "The daily moments of connection that people feel with others emerge as the tiny engines that drive the upward spiral between positivity and health," Fredrickson explains.

As we rediscover that the real meaning of wellness is one's mental, emotional, physical and spiritual well-being in their environment, the role of positive emotions may take center stage. "Given that costly chronic diseases limit people's lives and overburden healthcare systems worldwide, this is a message that applies to nearly everyone, citizens, educators, health care providers and policy-makers alike," Fredrickson observes.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
The Science Behind Children's Spirituality

My 19-month-old daughter loves watching for school buses. She camps out on our couch, eyes eagerly scanning for any sign of yellow, and when one goes by, she squeals "Bus!!!!"

Her natural awe, curiosity and excitement simply amaze me -- I wish I got even remotely as excited about anything as she does about buses! But if you spend any time with children, you'll notice that they just seem to have an innate sense of what we might call "spirituality."

So how do we cultivate that sense of spirituality? And are there additional benefits that can accrue by giving our children spiritual language?

One person who explores the role and power of spirituality in children is Dr. Lisa Miller. Dr. Miller is a Professor and Director of Clinical Psychology at Columbia University's Teacher's College, as well as the Director of the Spirituality & Mind Body Institute. She is also the author of the new book The Spiritual Child: The New Science on Parenting for Health and Lifelong Thriving.

I had an opportunity to ask her some questions about her work and her new book, and she was kind enough to respond.

GM: You talk about how important spirituality is for children. Yet "spirituality" can mean many different things to many different people. So how do you define "spirituality"? How is it different from (or related to) religion?

LM: We all are born with a natural endowment for spirituality. Just as we are born with a sense of smell, cognition or emotion, science shows that we have the capacity of what I call natural spirituality.

Religion is an embrace of our natural spirituality. Many people experience spirituality within religion. There also are many people whose spirituality exists outside of religion, in nature, through service, or in relationships with fellow people.

The questions I hear from parents revolve around "how do I support spirituality in my child?" Religion provides enormous sweeping resources for spiritual growth in our children. Religion holds a language for transcendence, practices through which to develop the transcendent relationship with a Higher Power, and a community based upon spiritual values, that includes the sharing of intergenerational experience.

Many of the 35 percent of American young adults who are "spiritual but not religious" had some whiff of religion as a child, enough to harness natural spirituality. To cultivate religion in our children takes focus and effort, radically assisted by religion.

GM: There have been several books that explore qualities that are important for children's thriving -- Mindset by Carol Dweck, How Children Succeed by Paul Tough, and How We Learn by Benedict Carey. How does your research connect with theirs?

LM: I am delighted to join the parenting discussion based upon a new body of science1 that shows spirituality at the core of healthy development.

As a clinical scientist, I had focused for 15 years on investigating spirituality in the course of child and adolescent development, as a resource for thriving and as protective against common forms of suffering in teens. The signal of sound in the data was so strong that it was piercing. Yet, as a parent of three children, I saw that the science was totally absent from our parent culture. By bringing forward the science, we can further craft the lens through which we see our own children.

Each of my highly valued colleagues whom you mention have helped to carve the parenting lens through which we can better perceive our own children's motives and heart's desire. The science simply does not bust free from the Ivory Tower until someone feels the deep sense of mission to share the research with our culture, fellow parents.

GM: What are some practical suggestions you would give to parents to help encourage spiritual conversations?

LM: SHOW UP. Parents do not need to have great spiritual knowledge or ultimate answers to support spirituality in our teens. We just need to show up and pay attention. Our interest say that their spiritual experience is real, and that we view as a priority their spiritual life, the journey. I found in our decades of research that many teens are feeling excited by inner spiritual discoveries, and equally surprised that nobody grown-up seems to notice or ask. Just ask. Even if you get a dead-end shrug, you have planted the notion that spirituality is real and worthy.

PAY ATTENTION TO DAILY SPIRITUAL LIFE. A teenager may spontaneously share a spiritual question, or share a moment of great uplifting transcendence or a dream. But then again, the less sensational events can be equally spiritually alive. Often a teen is starting to talk about spirituality as told through the "meat and potatoes" of daily living. The daily questions, such as struggle between friends at school, hurt feelings over exclusion, ethics on a test, or life goals, often reflect spiritual values. Go to the deepest level, or at least listen at the deepest level. That is where the teen actually may find the greatest sense and meaning.

TRANSPARENCY. Start a spiritual statement with "I" and you likely will see your teen's face become riveted. A window into our own spiritual life as a parent is the greatest spiritual gift we can offer, next to our unconditional love. Very often adolescents are hungry to know what you think about ultimate questions, or to have window into your inner experience of spirituality. When you engage with your own transcendent relationship, do it visibly - pray out loud, offer your child a seat by your side when you meditate, or pull a quote of text from a moving poem or passage in sacred text.

TRIP AND RECOVER. Spiritual life engages the real world, as we are, and as it is. So allow your child to watch you trip and recover in your spiritual path. Spiritual parenting is not being perfectly good all the time. It involves leaning into the deep significance of our lives, and viewing our lives as sacred.

Science shows that a child's personal spirituality is more developed, and a greater source of thriving, when it comes through family. Judaism certainly has much to share about passing the sacred torch through the generations. From the perspective of science, the quality of spiritual engagement in our children hinges on the combination of our unconditional love plus our sharing of spiritual life.

Additional sources
1. Miller, L. (2012) Oxford Handbook of Psychology and Spirituality, Editor, Oxford University Press; New York, NY