The Undoing on HBO

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
My mom was telling me how Hugh Grant sunk his reputation back in the day after being caught with a prostitute

These days nobody would give a shyt
I mean not really it didn't help his career but really just making one unsuccessful rom com after another is what hurt his career more.
And he specifically asked for a Black hooker so it would have an unseemly race angle that would be played up more in this climate.

3rdLetter

Pushin afros back to '76
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Qnz, NYC
I think we wanted it to be a murder mystery more than they did. If I sat here and listed out all the evidence they presented against the husband - anyone would be insane to think anyone else did it but him.
The husband's mom was on video like "He killed his sister and showed no remorse! He's a psycopath! :usure:" and we're still like "...I wonder if the little boy did it :ohhh:"

In retrospect, we got played just like the wife got played. She wanted her husband to be romantic comedy Hugh Grant, and we wanted a murder mystery. It ended up being a character study.

Exactly. The shyt was straight forward from the jump. And typically in shows like this we're all like "How could the wife be so dumb!?" but none of us want to admit we got played ourselves. That's the most interesting thing they could do. Any other twist would've been some contrived M. Night Shyamalan shyt.
True, but the show was a red herring buffet, so even with all the evidence against Jonathan, I could see why someone would think it was someone else. I thought it was the grandfather at first :russ:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
True, but the show was a red herring buffet, so even with all the evidence against Jonathan, I could see why someone would think it was someone else. I thought it was the grandfather at first :russ:
D9nZ8VUXYAYqB-j.png

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Some of the court scenes were wildly unrealistic. I should've been prepared though, it was obvious from the second episode that this show didn't have a full grasp on legal processes.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Aside from the very well done Hugh Grant mania in the car, that finale was overheated, soapy, David E Kelly at his absolute worst. The slow speed car chase, the helicopter, the absolute lack of any tension in the conclusion. The pointless press conference. Nicole Kidman wearing a headset. lol. Her running past the police line. Kind of a mess, but a well polished show.

Hugh Grant/Kidman scenes where he becomes unhinged in front of her, and then of course tries to kill her would have been a trope as well, but menacing her in the Park avenue apartment or some ski resort, would have been an homage to the great thrillers like Midnight Lace, and Jagged Edge, and not the worst of C list Lifetime movies. Part of the issue, is the show, besides it's hit you on the head red herrings, never really established that there was any real possibility Grant wasn't the killer. That's where the tension should have came from. I did like the idea he was trying to get his son charged for murder to save himself.

The oversexed murder scene was a gratuitous cliche also, an affair escalating to a a mutual murderous rage for no real reason. A husband and surgeon who is a beloved figure until he becomes a sociopath for 24 hours. It's a mess of a show, but a testament to the actors, and the HBO gloss that were selling this melodramatic nonsense.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
. Part of the issue, is the show, besides it's hit you on the head red herrings, never really established that there was any real possibility Grant wasn't the killer.
I think the bigger issue for me personally, is they never did enough to create tension over whether Grace would turn on him or not. Hell, there was never really a point where I believed that she believed he wasn't the killer. For the court room conclusion (which I thought was fairly clever) to really stick dramatically, I think the audience needed reasons sewn through the season to make us believe Grace was ride or die for him, and or truly believed he was 100% innocent, so that her decision at the end to upend her credibility to send him to prison and save her son from being implicated felt like a big character progression from her, if not an outright surprise development.

Felt like from the moment they came back together, she basically was just going through the motions in supporting him, so when she made the decision not to support him, it was like, well of course she would. They haven't given us any indication she felt anything other than ambivalence towards him.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
They never did a good enough job making us think it was any1 other than the husband.

In the early episodes it was more ambiguous but in the later ones they made him look more and more guilty.

Kind of a disappointing arc in my opinion
I really think they could've benefitted from Jean-Marc Vallée's directing here. He kept things muddled and mysterious all throughout the season in BLL and Sharp Objects.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
LMAO at this thread.

Got brehs reminiscing over titties on a show that ended 10 years ago.

At least there aren't any "I knew it!" posts.

Brehs wanted some Shyamaylan type ending. LMAO, there are like 4 characters in this whole fukken thing.

Nicole Kidman better get an Emmy for this. How this bytch gets tears to well up in her fukken eyes like that? :dahell:

Hugh Grant to me has always been underrated. He was funny as fukk in The Gentlemen. He really needs to get his due as far as acting awards. He really got that awkward english man down.
I hope he gets an Emmy win from this too.

He was at the Hollywood Reporter roundtable, promoting some movie and the other actors on the table were talking seriously about the "craft" of acting and he is clowning around, being an awkward funny english man. It was fukken hilarious.