The Tariq Nasheed Thread

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Your taking my points personal and makung this an anecdotal argument.

Ignore my feelings, they are facts that the problems black face in modern are hindered by slave tv/movies.

I present facts. You made my point; a slave program shouldn't make you feel better when the acts you're watching have never been recitified. The US GOVT wont even go on record and apologize. On the flipside; the worlds govts locking up 90 year old nazis every year it seems.
Explain the correlation between "Slave movies" and negative effect on those who've watched them.

I understand you have a gut feeling about this but I don't think you've presented conclusive fact that as a result of slave movies there has been an increase/decrease in something.

I also don't think Lee was taking your points personally.

What do you tell those who listen to you?

Do you tell them mainly positive anecdotes? Or negative?

Do we talk more about the oppression we need to fight or how beautiful we are as people?

Roots seems to be the main course or dessert of a knowledge plate...it just depends on perspective.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
Okay.

I don't think I said anything that really disagrees with you.

My circle isn't made up of people who just post angry/happy concscious statuses.

We are losing, yes, but we can't lose until there aren't any of us left.

Again, my point is...we are ignoring the concept of differentiation.

It is a teaching strategy that encourages the pedagogue to teach a group with their different learning levels in mind.

Taking that angle, we need to realize that our people need to be enlightened in ways that differentiate.

A brother like you sounds like uiu've been a leader you're whole life. You sound like you've always seemed to know things haven't been absolutely fair.

Alot of our people may not be at your level. They may need to be ignited through our history surviving tragedy.

Once you educate them on history, they may get angry and not know where to direct it.

Before someone ignorant comes around andnsayd, "yea, well things are better" - they need usnto come through and say, "you think that's bad? Hold my hand let me shownyoubwhat's going on now and how WE are the savior."

Mynpoint is
, before we condemn Roots, let's see who it affects and how...then assist them into being part of the collective.

These are some great points that I see leading to, some sort, of resolution. Some sort of advancement consciously.

I think it's an underrated perspective, and a huge reason why a lot more people are conscious, yet still fall into the same traps of debating to a stand still, while the climate that ills the community persist.

It can be seen as offensive, because no one wants to be singled out as not being "smart" enough to grasp the varying angels...but these are facts, we don't all comprehend at the same level. Some need to fall back and not get upset, but put their pride down and build.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Explain the correlation between "Slave movies" and negative effect on those who've watched them.

I understand you have a gut feeling about this but I don't think you've presented conclusive fact that as a result of slave movies there has been an increase/decrease in something.

I do not, I repeat, view the state of black Americas with my gut, brother. We've got trillions of dollars in spending power; our sons are suspended quicker for smallest offenses, we've probably still have double digit unemployment as national unemployment is falling, we are given less pain meds because of the idea black ppl don't feel as much pain ←←← these are facts not "gut feelings"

I also don't think Lee was taking your points personally.

Poor choice of words, on me

What do you tell those who listen to you?

Do you tell them mainly positive anecdotes? Or negative?

I think you have expect a more "negative" tone from me in a thread about another slave movie/tv. Bro, that stuff is hard to watch. You're talking to a man who's father had him watching slavery documentaries at 11. I'm from the south--racism has had a profound effect on my family history. Now, to your question. Let's say I have children; I won't be that upset if they didn't know about slavery as much as I did. Giving ppl horror stories that they can do nothing about is abusive. So, no, thecoli is the place I speak the most hoe hum about our state. I try to build more, in real life.

Do we talk more about the oppression we need to fight or how beautiful we are as people?

Our beauty. That's why I don't like this Roots (it's exploitative--we've got Roots already) nor am I cool with the new Nat Turner flick. I hear nothing but great things about Selma, but, that's even hard to watch (I most likely will, though).

Roots seems to be the main course or dessert of a knowledge plate...it just depends on perspective.

Want to give people knowledge about slavery; tell them to read a book.

History Channel is exploiting American slavery for advertising dollars.

Had to give you the respect waiting til I got home to type this on a keyboard rather than my phone @ work.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Toss Roots to the bushes and cop HC 1-4?

I wonder why Tariq would tell us this :mjlol:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
I'm not quiet understanding the Roots backlash. I'm gonna watch it to form my own opinion.

Currently, my perspective is...maybe it'll change, but...Now I'm thinking...
(pro)
  • ...a movie with a predominately black cast. Great, little known, actors and actresses getting exposure for future films. Perhaps they won't have to go to the same source of actors and actresses for roles.
  • I believe it serves as a reminder of the plight we've faced. Reminds are youth. Perhaps providing perspective. Perhaps igniting some responsibility and pride in your melenated skin to fuel the change that is currently needed in our community? Some of our youth have never seen a slave movie even though they are currently on TV. I think some are over-estimating our youths awareness of our history and get their knowledge from hearsay.
  • ...Why didn't Jewish people get mad at all the Holocaust movies?
  • Is the use of the word "c00n" being used, by some, out of context? I see a lot of people just say someone is a c00n, simply because they hold a different perspective. I define a "c00n" , mostly, in relation to where he or she shares his or her opinion. In public domains where their are a lot of viewers or listeners, if you're parroting things white supremacist say, without acknowledging the systems put in place to cause all this upheaval....then i can see the c00n. But among ourselves, politicking to find a solution, we need free thinkers, and those not scared of ridicule and the condemnation of being called a c00n.
Kind of seems like another divide and conquer agenda. Conscious vs. the c00n....light skin, vs. dark skin...inner city vs. suburbs... etc... It's too easy for us to get segmented, then nothing gets accomplished due to the infighting. Credibility is so easily lost, and some good information gets ignored as a result.

(con)
  • I do see people upset that it's ANOTHER slave movie. They want balance. I agree with THAT.
  • Slave movies can serve as a badge of honor, reminding them of the glory days from their perspective.
  • I see people offended by the, constant, inclusion of the "white knight". Their is, definitely something to that.
  • Just listened to this Tariq podcast and he touches on the, subtle, change of the narrative included. I'm not with that.

I just wish more backlash was focused on media that is even more toxic to the black community. Let's not pick and choose which ever doesn't apply to us.
bruh, nooooo. the most popular era depicted throughout cinema is slave period pieces breh. Years and years they still cant get it right with half stepping tales with all these excessive unwarrantable inordinate amount of pictures. The author of roots basically stole that shyt from some white dude that later sue his ass to broke-ness, shyt is fictional man. Alex Haley, the author of roots name is only on this to make this mini film backdrop look legit as a long lost manuscript of black slave history that lost people take it as gold.

idk why history channel still trying to troll with propaganda again ...wait oh yeah because a lot shows/films with black cast are 'booming" doing good in ratings(vh1 stay eating off that) in the last 4 to 3 years like 70's explosion of the blaxploitation. this is straight false empathy of white liberalism pandering for entertainment purposes while profiting off our history..watching this doesn't bring us closer together to unify as black people for the cause , just another TKO. These film teach us hate breed out hate which might be true but the narrative should always be black unification is strength. how long we been taking this shyt aint nothing changed...just an endless cycle of repetition, littered with attempts to film gaze the ill history of the nation acts on negros while failing miserably to grasp it fully. Its almost no variation in their depiction of us but i will still watch the remake of Roots just to peep game

like other breh said about the jewish H films, they own this hollywood shyt plus we don't get treated with the same respect as jews just look how the 1st u.s black president talk about us

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
Nothing wrong with all these movies and documentaries. We shouldn't be comparing Roots and HC because one is a movie and the other is a docunetary, but they both provide nuggets of information

It's up to the members of the black community to do what they want with the information, during a time where white employers, white significant others, white friends and white family members are more common and are more influential in an individual's life, than a two hour programming

This is another great perspective on the slave experience. No filter and no worries of parental rating, just an attempt to depict the realities of slavery

Tariq is relatively moderate in MOST of his criticisms. He's not an extremist like Umar or some of those smart-dumb hoteps.

That being said, I think he's basically said that like the Jews, "never forgetting" is a nobel campaign...but there needs to be balance.

He supports Roots...AND positive black imagery.

If White Jews hadn't have extremist jews and zionist, then the creation of Israel and the PR campaign to ensure blind international government support to it, wouldn't have occurred

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
1. Yet another reboot, remake, revisit......

2. Yet another film on slavery.....

Rather watch paint dry.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
Watched the first 2 episodes.... the first episode was phenomenal. I'm really impressed with the actor playing Kunta....and i love Belle

I felt nothing but pride and perseverance when watching...Just the importance of family, never giving in......A lot of subtle shyt that is relevant even now....Just tells me these movies aren't just slave movies, but movies trying to warn today of the mentality...and how to overcome it...

That's just what I'm getting so far.