The Tariq Nasheed Thread

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Like a poster said above,

I understand calling for more movies about other concepts however, movies concerning the enslavement of Blacks in America do not seem to indoctrinate our people into believing they are "inferior".

If anything, the fact that we've been resilient throughout some of the worst tragedies known to man make me, and in effect, my children believe/know that we literally can accomplish anything with less.

With respect to making anyone believe "we started as slaves", Roots essentially dedicates it's first act to our origin in civilized* tribes in our homeland.

It definitely feels like wasted energy to claim "slave narratives" are somehow psychologically damaging to us.

I envision a situation where if there were nothing but movies showing the African Diaspora in positive moments throughout humanities blood soaked history... we'd be yelling(justifiably) about why they are hiding what was done to us.

* I state civilized for emphasis considering, to me, being in a tribe symbolizes civility.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Just needs to be a balance, We have a roots, but we don't have a Jean Baptist or a George Stinney story,

We need to show the good and the bad that our ppl went through more stories (other than roots) as I mentioned George Stinney, We hear about Emmitt Teal a lot but some never heard of George Stinney

We can make a movie about Black Wall Street, the birth of this community, and the destruction of it, that is a nice story line there.

Something about the Zulu Nation, Shaka Zulu (how about a remake of this)

Just so much to make stories about, How about going into depths about the Moors.

A nice story line about the Negro Leagues, many don't know about Rube Foster

Jack Johnson

A movie about Sundown Towns

A documentary on Madam C. Walker.

A movie about The Dogars Tribe who could talk/commuicate to the stars, and developed astronomy in a sense

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Like a poster said above,

I understand calling for more movies about other concepts however, movies concerning the enslavement of Blacks in America do not seem to indoctrinate our people into believing they are "inferior".

If anything, the fact that we've been resilient throughout some of the worst tragedies known to man make me, and in effect, my children believe/know that we literally can accomplish anything with less.

With respect to making anyone believe "we started as slaves", Roots essentially dedicates it's first act to our origin in civilized* tribes in our homeland.

It definitely feels like wasted energy to claim "slave narratives" are somehow psychologically damaging to us.

I envision a situation where if there were nothing but movies showing the African Diaspora in positive moments throughout humanities blood soaked history... we'd be yelling(justifiably) about why they are hiding what was done to us.

* I state civilized for emphasis considering, to me, being in a tribe symbolizes civility.

I would disagree and only because you still have some 'weak minded' black folks who would as Tariq stated "well we done came a long wayz from back then, we got it a lil better than them" which we have in a sense, but the hidden fact (to me) in that statement yields for us to remain comfortable and be grateful for the treatment we are getting now.

Things are still bad for black ppl, and truth be told, we are still getting lynch by tree and getting killed at ease, so have we really made any steps?

If you close your eyes and take away the material things and opportunities 'given' to us, we are really not that far away from reality from what our ancestors went through.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Slaves movies make ppl think racism/discrimination over. Because of the stark contast to today ie whippings/lynching vs institutional racism. White ppl are patting themselves on the head. Black ppl reminded constantly 'your history starts at slavery'.

Nothing educational (bet then wont touch the rapes/molestation that happened) or empowering about this.

And miss me with the 'majority black cast' nonsense.. They real life slaves.

To the breh who doesn't understand the backlash.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I would disagree and only because you still have some 'weak minded' black folks who would as Tariq stated "well we done came a long wayz from back then, we got it a lil better than them" which we have in a sense, but the hidden fact (to me) in that statement yields for us to remain comfortable and be grateful for the treatment we are getting now.

Things are still bad for black ppl, and truth be told, we are still getting lynch by tree and getting killed at ease, so have we really made any steps?

If you close your eyes and take away the material things and opportunities 'given' to us, we are really not that far away from reality from what our ancestors went through.
Breh, I'm am with you all the way.

My analogy:

During Emancipation - The American Authority acted like their tail was between their legs and told us they are sorry and made us walk around the block while they repainted the same room - We walked in and said yea, this is better.

During the Civil Rights Era -
We saw the pain stripping and realized it was same room. The American Authority acted like their tail was between their legs and said they are sorry again. The made us walk 3 times around the block and repainted the room and added a couch - we got comfortable.

Now - We see the paint stripping again, it's been the same damn room, the roots of the same tree we saw when first coming off those ships, the same tree we were unjustly sold under, the same tree we were lynched from and we need to make sure it's not the same tree we are shot next to.

------------------

I'm apart of the things aren't better crowd. I take it further, we, as a collective, had it a bit better back in the day because the EVIL was a bit more tangible. We were able to unify in some way against the white's only fountains, Jim Crow Laws, zoning laws and men hanging from trees.

Today, it clearly is more invisible. However, I am about being a cohesive unit as possible. I'm not going to engage in shaming people who watch Roots - especially if a burning passion against oppression is built up in them.

It's up to the other, more educated brothers and sisters, to grab a hold of that passion and direct it.

Last edited:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Slaves movies make ppl think racism/discrimination over. Because of the stark contast to today ie whippings/lynching vs institutional racism. White ppl are patting themselves on the head. Black ppl reminded constantly 'your history starts at slavery'.

Nothing educational (bet then wont touch the rapes/molestation that happened) or empowering about this.

I respectful disagree.

I think they make other demographics think it's over but the Black people I know, we all say the same thing..."This is still going on in a different way. And the victims of the slave trade are exactly why we have to keep fighting on now."

You're going to be able to pull up tweets and facebook statuses of people who are ignorant but the majority of the Black people in my circles now it isn't somehow better now.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter

See...it's a circular debate with great points on both sides of the fence.

• One person will see a slave movie and feel inferior and insecure about the plight of their people...may even be relegated to servitude because...well.... that's the history

vs.​
  • Another person will see a slave movie and feel inspired and proud of the journey, excited about the future. They will find pride in rising from the struggle.

It really is a matter of perspective it's looking like....Neither is wrong per se...but the next question would be, why you see things that way? Are you just a, habitually, negative person?.... Do you have an agenda?...what is it?

these are the things I think about....but I love reading peoples perspective and not really having one of my own set in stone....

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

My analogy:

During Emancipation - The American Authority acted like their tail was between their legs and told us they are sorry and made us walk around the block while they repainted the same room - We walked in and said yea, this is better.

We saw the pain stripping and realized it was same room. The American Authority acted like their tail was between their legs and said they are sorry again. The made us walk 3 times around the block and repainted the room and added a couch - we got comfortable.

Now - We see the paint stripping again, it's been the same damn room, the roots of the same tree we saw when first coming off those ships, the same trees we were unjustly sold under, the same tree we were lynched from and we need to make sure it's not the same tree we are shot by.

------------------

I'm apart of the things aren't better crowd. I take it further, we, as a collective, had it a bit better back in the day because the EVIL was a bit more tangible. We were able to unify in some way against the white's only fountains, Jim Crow Laws, zoning laws and men hanging from trees.

Today, it clearly is more invisible. However, I am about being a cohesive unit as possible. I'm not going to engage in shaming people who watch Roots - especially if a burning passion against oppression is built up in them.

It's up to the other, more educated brothers and sisters, to grab a hold of that passion and direct it
]

Well put breh

Any update on when MoorUs is coming,

Can't wait to interact with more educated brothers and sisters on discussions like these.

I think MoorUs will unite us and we can start the process of us getting back how we should be together as a group.

I make it my mission to search and look for black own business, can't wait for the section where they can put their business so that it would make it easier to get my things.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

• One person will see a slave movie and feel inferior and insecure about the plight of their people...may even be relegated to servitude because...well.... that's the history
vs.​
  • Another person will see a slave movie and feel inspired and proud of the journey, excited about the future. They will find pride in rising from the struggle.
It really is a matter of perspective it's looking like....Neither is wrong per se...but the next question would be, why you see things that way? Are you just a, habitually, negative person?.... Do you have an agenda?...what is it?

these are the things I think about....but I love reading peoples perspective and not really having one of my own set in stone....

Balance,

We need the balance and like stated, once they finish watching Roots, they need to watch a Hidden Colors film to get that balance and then maybe their perspective would start to shift towards, thinking more into depth of why is this show is being shown (again) and being remade when there are others stories that should be told because as I stated before, close your eyes and take away a few things and we are still enslaved, some of those things are still going on in 2016.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I respectful disagree.

I think they make other demographics think it's over but the Black people I know, we all say the same thing..."This is still going on in a different way. And the victims of the slave trade are exactly why we have to keep fighting on now."

You're going to be able to pull up tweets and facebook statuses of people who are ignorant but the majority of the Black people in my circles now it isn't somehow better now.
Breh

None that substantiate positive.

One, you said, other believe it's over.. Black ppl destiny is tied to other folk because we still doing stuff like #airbnbwhileblack.... Begging ppl who hate us to take our money to enrich themselves.

I dont care abour social media.. Ppl post that to make them feel better about black ppl being behind in every statistical measure of quality of life in America.

We fighting? We losin, brother.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Breh

None that substantiate positive.

One, you said, other believe it's over.. Black ppl destiny is tied to other folk because we still doing stuff like #airbnbwhileblack.... Begging ppl who hate us to take our money to enrich themselves.

I dont care abour social media.. Ppl post that to make them feel better about black ppl being behind in every statistical measure of quality of life in America.

We fighting? We losin, brother.
Okay.

I don't think I said anything that really disagrees with you.

My circle isn't made up of people who just post angry/happy concscious statuses.

We are losing, yes, but we can't lose until there aren't any of us left.

Again, my point is...we are ignoring the concept of differentiation.

It is a teaching strategy that encourages the pedagogue to teach a group with their different learning levels in mind.

Taking that angle, we need to realize that our people need to be enlightened in ways that differentiate.

A brother like you sounds like uiu've been a leader you're whole life. You sound like you've always seemed to know things haven't been absolutely fair.

Alot of our people may not be at your level. They may need to be ignited through our history surviving tragedy.

Once you educate them on history, they may get angry and not know where to direct it.

Before someone ignorant comes around andnsayd, "yea, well things are better" - they need usnto come through and say, "you think that's bad? Hold my hand let me shownyoubwhat's going on now and how WE are the savior."

Mynpoint is, beforewe condemn Roots, let's see who it affects and how...then asisst them into being part of the collective.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Okay.

I don't think I said anything that really disagrees with you.

My circle isn't made up of people who just post angry/happy concscious statuses.

We are losing, yes, but we can't lose until there aren't any of us left.

Again, my point is...we are ignoring the concept of differentiation.

It is a teaching strategy that encourages the pedagogue to teach a group with their different learning levels in mind.

Taking that angle, we need to realize that our people need to be enlightened in ways that differentiate.

A brother like you sounds like uiu've been a leader you're whole life. You sound like you've always seemed to know things haven't been absolutely fair.

Alot of our people may not be at your level. They may need to be ignited through our history surviving tragedy.

Once you educate them on history, they may get angry and not know where to direct it.

Before someone ignorant comes around andnsayd, "yea, well things are better" - they need usnto come through and say, "you think that's bad? Hold my hand let me shownyoubwhat's going on now and how WE are the savior."

Mynpoint is, beforewe condemn Roots, let's see who it affects and how...then asisst them into being part of the collective.
I know you mean well, but, im far gone codemning the show.

We've done this before; black men are still murdered for insolence by police (overseer), we still do not know our own economy....

...let me there. Until blacks are in control of our economy, we cant make already step towards progress.

Not to be fatalistic; this "America" thing gonna last forever. And when it falls, mainstream America aint looking out for us (see The New Deal).

Ppl dont understand why America wants to elect a crazy mf like Trump. White ppl are dyin faster, strung out and cant get jobs. They scared and want someone to make it go away (which he wont--he plays a role).

That show aint ran by black ppl and we dont need anymore tales abt the past.

Where is OUR FUTURE?

That is all I care about, brother. Other groups can afford to look back, i dont think we can.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'm not quiet understanding the Roots backlash. I'm gonna watch it to form my own opinion.

Currently, my perspective is...maybe it'll change, but...Now I'm thinking...
(pro)
  • ...a movie with a predominately black cast. Great, little known, actors and actresses getting exposure for future films. Perhaps they won't have to go to the same source of actors and actresses for roles.
  • I believe it serves as a reminder of the plight we've faced. Reminds are youth. Perhaps providing perspective. Perhaps igniting some responsibility and pride in your melenated skin to fuel the change that is currently needed in our community? Some of our youth have never seen a slave movie even though they are currently on TV. I think some are over-estimating our youths awareness of our history and get their knowledge from hearsay.
  • ...Why didn't Jewish people get mad at all the Holocaust movies?
  • Is the use of the word "c00n" being used, by some, out of context? I see a lot of people just say someone is a c00n, simply because they hold a different perspective. I define a "c00n" , mostly, in relation to where he or she shares his or her opinion. In public domains where their are a lot of viewers or listeners, if you're parroting things white supremacist say, without acknowledging the systems put in place to cause all this upheaval....then i can see the c00n. But among ourselves, politicking to find a solution, we need free thinkers, and those not scared of ridicule and the condemnation of being called a c00n.
Kind of seems like another divide and conquer agenda. Conscious vs. the c00n....light skin, vs. dark skin...inner city vs. suburbs... etc... It's too easy for us to get segmented, then nothing gets accomplished due to the infighting. Credibility is so easily lost, and some good information gets ignored as a result.

(con)
  • I do see people upset that it's ANOTHER slave movie. They want balance. I agree with THAT.
  • Slave movies can serve as a badge of honor, reminding them of the glory days from their perspective.
  • I see people offended by the, constant, inclusion of the "white knight". Their is, definitely something to that.
  • Just listened to this Tariq podcast and he touches on the, subtle, change of the narrative included. I'm not with that.

I just wish more backlash was focused on media that is even more toxic to the black community. Let's not pick and choose which ever doesn't apply to us.

My analogy:

Now - We see the paint stripping again, it's been the same damn room, the roots of the same tree we saw when first coming off those ships, the same tree we were unjustly sold under, the same tree we were lynched from and we need to make sure it's not the same tree we are shot next to.

------------------

It's up to the other, more educated brothers and sisters, to grab a hold of that passion and direct it.

Tariq is relatively moderate in MOST of his criticisms. He's not an extremist like Umar or some of those smart-dumb hoteps.

That being said, I think he's basically said that like the Jews, "never forgetting" is a nobel campaign...but there needs to be balance.

He supports Roots...AND positive black imagery.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville

vs.​

Your taking my points personal and makung this an anecdotal argument.

Ignore my feelings, they are facts that the problems black face in modern are hindered by slave tv/movies.

I present facts. You made my point; a slave program shouldn't make you feel better when the acts you're watching have never been recitified. The US GOVT wont even go on record and apologize. On the flipside; the worlds govts locking up 90 year old nazis every year it seems.