The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

Kodie

Pro
Daps
So your saying you could stream windows games from your PC to your steambox?

Why would they make it that way? Doesn't it make more sense to just put windows on the steambox?
The messaging for this is not great but that's partially because they're trying to do many different things at once.

What we know so far is that SteamOS is a Linux OS that you can install to a computer. Any typical PC can boot to SteamOS or Windows or dual boot whatever. Valve is claiming SteamOS will be a better OS for gaming for many reasons. Mostly because it's open and faster. The only downside is that the library of games compatible with Linux is incredibly smaller than that of games compatible with Windows. One of the proposed solutions is streaming. It's not ideal but it may work well for gamers that are looking for a second machine. That might work for someone like me for example.

A Steam Machine is basically a sort of Valve "pre certified" PC. They're working with vendors to bring these pre certified machines to consumers. They will probably meet some minimum specs and most likely there will be tiers. For example, Tier 1 might be MSRP $99 and be good for streaming games and playing some 2d or low end 3d games. Tier 2 might be MSRP $200 and play games natively at the 360/PS3/Wii U level. And then Tier 3 might be MSRP $500 and play games natively at the PS4/Xbox One level. That's obviously all conjecture but it's a thought. In any case, the Steam Machine will be able to run Windows if you so choose because it's still just a PC, but it will come pre-loaded with SteamOS. The goal, I think, is that SteamOS will become more and more attractive as people start making Linux builds and ports.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Yeah they have to convince people like me that this is something beyond just PC gaming.

So far I'm just as confused as I am when looking at graphics cards or spec requirment sheets:scusthov:

They need to come out with a box. Brand it like a console, and tell me why I should leave Xbox/PS alone.
Valve are not going to be making the box it seems, various hardware manufacturers are. Basically if you want a flexible, fast, open platform PC gaming solution easy to hook up in your living room and (ostensibly) to navigate then this is ideal.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I realize why their doing it. I'm just saying the things they've announced so far are catering to the audience that already has and understands steam. Those of us waiting for a reason to jump in have not been given a compelling reason yet.
This is going to be an extremely long and tough process for them because its starting from zero. It makes no sense to cater to the casual or outsiders right now because Linux doesn't have nearly enough games to promote such a massive move for those uninformed people.

I still think they are going to use Half-Life 3 as a way to get people to get this "SteamOS" and devices to sell. They basically built steam off Half-Life 2 and look at where they are now. I wouldn't be surprised if Half-Life 3 came to "SteamOS", PS4, and XBOX One and THEN Windows later on.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
The messaging for this is not great but that's partially because they're trying to do many different things at once.

What we know so far is that SteamOS is a Linux OS that you can install to a computer. Any typical PC can boot to SteamOS or Windows or dual boot whatever. Valve is claiming SteamOS will be a better OS for gaming for many reasons. Mostly because it's open and faster. The only downside is that the library of games compatible with Linux is incredibly smaller than that of games compatible with Windows. One of the proposed solutions is streaming. It's not ideal but it may work well for gamers that are looking for a second machine. That might work for someone like me for example.

A Steam Machine is basically a sort of Valve "pre certified" PC. They're working with vendors to bring these pre certified machines to consumers. They will probably meet some minimum specs and most likely there will be tiers. For example, Tier 1 might be MSRP $99 and be good for streaming games and playing some 2d or low end 3d games. Tier 2 might be MSRP $200 and play games natively at the 360/PS3/Wii U level. And then Tier 3 might be MSRP $500 and play games natively at the PS4/Xbox One level. That's obviously all conjecture but it's a thought. In any case, the Steam Machine will be able to run Windows if you so choose because it's still just a PC, but it will come pre-loaded with SteamOS. The goal, I think, is that SteamOS will become more and more attractive as people start making Linux builds and ports.
We are thinking along the same lines.

+

Every steambox comes with a free copy of Half-Life 3

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
So Valve is doing something creating the Android version of gaming OS's for PC gamers? :patrice:
I guess you can say that, but its not like Android in the sense that final approval to get on the steam store/os will be made by Valve.

I like where we are going with this. Windows can lose millions of gamers with this in a couple of years because there will be essentially no benefit from them to stick with Windows. SteamOS SHOULD be more lightweight allowing much more of the already advanced hardware for gaming...

:banderas:

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Wouldn't it be dope if the controller was a low end piece of gaming hardware, just hook it up to your TV and go