The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Question. I'm totaly uniformed when it comes to PC gaming so don't jump all over me.

Aren't most games windows/direct X?

If steamboxes are running linux, wouldn't a lot of games be incompatible?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
announce stuff without showing it off, brehs

kind of what I was expecting. I thought we would get a list of hw manufacturers or some shyt though

but I think AMD might have something to show today

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Question. I'm totaly uniformed when it comes to PC gaming so don't jump all over me.

Yeah there are a couple things going on in parallel here:

• Valve's SteamOS is making development on Linux much more of a possibility than it's ever been. They're hoping this will promote more Linux builds and ports.
  • Valve, I believe, is in contact with major vendors and publishers
  • In the meantime, if you already have a regular Windows gaming machine, you can buy or build a cheap Steam Machine with SteamOS that will stream games. For example, if you have your computer in an office but want to play these games in your living room.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah there are a couple things going on in parallel here:

• Valve's SteamOS is making development on Linux much more of a possibility than it's ever been. They're hoping this will promote more Linux builds and ports.
  • Valve, I believe, is in contact with major vendors and publishers
  • In the meantime, if you already have a regular Windows gaming machine, you can buy or build a cheap Steam Machine with SteamOS that will stream games. For example, if you have your computer in an office but want to play these games in your living room.

So your saying you could stream windows games from your PC to your steambox?

Why would they make it that way? Doesn't it make more sense to just put windows on the steambox?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

yes. but a user is free to install windows on the machine as well. and it's probably a big part of why they're pushing pc--> box streaming. ultimately they want more games to developed for linux and opengl though. one of the claims in the first announcement was that they already have many "AAA" games on board

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
yes. but a user is free to install windows on the machine as well. and it's probably a big part of why they're pushing pc--> box streaming. ultimately they want more games to developed for linux and opengl though. one of the claims in the first announcement was that they already have many "AAA" games on board

:ohhh: so you will be able to install windows on the steambox yourself.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
So you build the box? Nothing pre-built?

there will be pre-builts... in many shapes and sizes

machines_livingroom.jpg

that cat lurking in every picture :heh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
maybe source 2

:shaq2:, im underwhelmed overall by the lack of video and pictures. If Valve wants this thing to succeed they have to knock the cocks off people.

Yeah they have to convince people like me that this is something beyond just PC gaming.

So far I'm just as confused as I am when looking at graphics cards or spec requirment sheets:scusthov:

They need to come out with a box. Brand it like a console, and tell me why I should leave Xbox/PS alone.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
So your saying you could stream windows games from your PC to your steambox?

Why would they make it that way? Doesn't it make more sense to just put windows on the steambox?
breh don't you realize why valve is doing this?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
breh don't you realize why valve is doing this?

I realize why their doing it. I'm just saying the things they've announced so far are catering to the audience that already has and understands steam. Those of us waiting for a reason to jump in have not been given a compelling reason yet.